AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-29-2019, 03:40 PM

Most people do at least write back and say they aren't willing to take my price now, but if things change, they will let me know.

I have purchased some items which were outside of my price range by being extremely nice, very upfront and transparent, and living up to my promises.

Every once in a while I will get back a nasty note. I just respond back saying I'm sorry I insulted them and GLWS. One time someone cursed me out about how I was a no good ##$#$@#. I did not respond to that one. The funny thing is that about 3 months later, this person wrote back to me asking me if I was interested in buying at my price. I very politely declined.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Blown & Injected

I once offered $1k for a really nice pair of '86 oil on oak k-horns which I didn't need to a guy who was asking $2500 - he solicited me. He politely declined. I told him - keep my number should you change your mind. 6mos later he called to accept my offer, which I honored.

As a seller, I sold McIntosh on ebay from roughly 99-02 with the highest average resale price of any seller, even Audio Classics, under the same username as I use here. It comes down to marketing and patience. I don't take any of it personal.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:48 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Buying and selling for that matter is an art, a fool leaves money on the table
Old 09-29-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Ok...
So I’ve been trying to sell a basically new MC275VI on Agon for some time now.
I can’t believe the ridiculous offers I’ve received. All with no feedback, and most from the west coast. It truly is getting silly.
The purpose of this post isn’t to bitch...just trying to understand/wondering if other folks are experiencing the same selling Mc gear on Agon. I’m to the point now, the ONLY place I feel safe to sell my Mc gear anymore is here on AA (THANK YOU IVAN!) or take the $$$ hit and trade it to Audio Classics. EBay and Agon, I feel, are stretchy at best. And US Audiomart is the wild west. I’ve got 102 +++ transactions on Agon and I recently completed a GREAT transaction with an AA member brownbear (unfortunately through Agon). But, those positive experiences are getting to be fewer and far between.
Seems like Audiogon is changing...or is our hobby??? Both?
Or maybe it’s just what’s happening with McIntosh gear?
Thoughts?

It is you.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
It is you.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:08 PM

eBay is no better. People offers me 50% of the asking price. I just block them from my listings and never reply. I don't have time for people like that.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:45 PM

I think the audio landscape has changed drastically over the last 10 years!
There's more gear then buyers and those that are buying want it way below 50% off everyone wants a deal.
The younger generations is not very interested and the older ones have enough gear or are set with there systems.
Kinda bleak but JDandy pegged it if you do not like the offer say No Thank You.
It's all part of the selling experience right or wrong.
AJ
Old 03-07-2020, 02:51 PM

I have recently tried to sell a new, unused VPI tone arm On usaudiomart and have listed at 50% off of retail. I have had numerous offers way less than asking and even have had shoppers ask the Sell Now price when I clearly state priced to sell. Why do buyers expect a deeper discount on an already great price? People think any item can be had for less than listed.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jon.......Low ball offers are part of the selling experience. It is to be expected, so no reason to be offended. Three little words end ridiculous offers, "No thank you." No need to say anything else.

When I sell audio gear I rarely try to pull top dollar because it delays a sale. I put an attractive price on an item with the understanding that I may accept a slightly lower offer, but certainly nothing stupidly low. If an item sits for long with no activity I will lower the price, but there is a limit. Patience is the key.

I have had far greater success selling audio gear on Audio Aficionado than on Audiogon, and I am much more comfortable selling to known individuals here. I am also not against trading gear to a dealer if I can get a reasonable trade offer. Trades will not pull retail pre-owned pricing but if a trade also includes a decent discount on the new purchase it can balance the difference to some degree.

It is important to keep in mind that audio gear in general is a liability, not an asset. From the moment you purchase a component it begins to depreciate. It is the rare component that gains value over time. Consequently it is in the interest of a relatively quick sale to price an item attractively to instill the urge to purchase by an interested party. Once again, patience is paramount.
well said, I buy and sell on E-bay not so mush in the past year but I did offer goods at a great discount and their would always be someone that would basically offer me to ship it to them at my cost and they would pay me just a fraction over that and I should do the deal. I wanted to say I'll burn the M....F.... firts down to ashes but as you said a No Thanks would be in order.

Game Room:Vizio 75'' Quantum X ,Denon AVR X6500H 5.2,Klipsch SPL 150 Sub,Klipsch SPL 120,Klipsch RF-7III,Klipsch RP-502S

Living Room:VPI Prime Signature Rosewood,Fatboy Tonearm,Grado Statement 3,Audio Research Ref 2SE ,Audio Research REF 6 .Will Vincent Dynaco Amp[/I]
Old 03-07-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Selling McIntosh on Audiogon....is it me or? And thank you Ivan!

Timing is everything. I’ve found the best time to sell gear is October through March. Things really start to slow down right about now.

If something doesn’t sell in a month I just pull the listing and wait a couple of months and re-list.

I counter every offer with a slight discount over my listing price. Occasionally I’ll get a sale I would not have gotten with a simple no thanks.

A lot of times I get a ‘so and so is selling this same item on Audioheist for $xxx less than you are asking’. My response is always ‘That’s a great deal, you should buy it from them.’
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v