AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-04-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLK View Post
Stereophile just gave the REF 75 Joint Amplification Components of the Year:

Stereophile's Products of 2013 Joint Amplification Components of the Year | Stereophile.com

Stick with the REF 75, if you upgrade to the Sasha Series 2 or Alexia you're set.
I guess I'm looking for what the extra money will buy me (other than watts). I know for a fact it sounds amazing, and I knew about the Stereophile award. But...<I>Stereophile</I>'s Products of 2012 Product of the Year | Stereophile.com

That's even more impressive. I just wonder "how much" more impressive in real life.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 AM

Marc, the voicing of Ref 75 with Sasha I read on Audiobeat and was written by Paul Bolin and he got it from Warren Gehl from ARC. I had the Ref 110 before my Ref 75 and that was supposed to be an amp capable of driving Sasha. The ref 75 has more 'oomph' (although don't ask me to explain that ) than the Ref 110 so I think you will be fine.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 AM

I found the blog you are talking about: The Audio Beat - First Sounds: Audio Research Reference 75

Wow, very cool. Maybe I don't need to strive for more watts after all, if this thing was literally voiced on the speaker I own! I sure didn't feel like it was lacking in power. I just wondered if the 150 does something better, other than play louder. The 75 had a lot of grip on the bass, so even if the 150 does that better, I don't know how it can be much better. The 75 even beats my mc452 for bass on the sasha's which I just don't understand.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
A friend of mine is pushing me to get the Ref150 instead of the Ref75. Anyone have experience with the fans? Can you ever hear them from 10 feet away?

I don't know how I'd pull off the Ref150, but I guess if I'm going to keep going in debt, I better keep doing it right
Could try looking for one in the used market, or ask your dealer if anyone upgrading..
Sold my Ref150 in mint as new condition, clocked 800hrs+, at a little less than half of msrp earlier this year, price of which you'll be paying for new Ref75 probably?

Believe me (oh no..not again ), you'll soon realize you will be needing that extra power after living with them (Ref75) for a while (if).
Not that I have anything to gain, just hate seeing fellow Aficionado buy-resell stuffs and got burned unnecessarily (losing$$) in the process.
With taxing materials/loudness (admit, window rattling level here), even Ref150 ran out of steam more often than I'd like, and my speakers are an easier drive than Sasha.
My brother also happens to still be using his Ref150 with Alexia now (recently upgraded from Sasha), so I'm rather familiar with this particular amp + Wilson combo.
Well, unless in reality the Ref75 has got more power/grunt than Ref150 which I don't know really having not heard one yet, but highly doubt it though..

*As for fan, my listening distance is around 15ft, no problem at all. But can't really hear anything from more than 3-4ft away actually - pretty smooth and quiet.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 PM

I must add however..
If in smaller quarters OR if your listening habits are only moderately loud and don't feel the need/urge to push it (get down and dirty) from time to time, you might just get away doing well with the Ref75+Sasha combo. But given choice, I'd still do 150 for future/flexibility, if not anything else.

From Accuphase amp meters, surprised to learn that at my normal loud listening levels, indicators hardly pass peak of 40-50w - volume knob at 10-11 o'clock. But when pushed slightly further - 1-2 o'clock (ok, window rattling mode), meters are then swiftly pegging 260-280w peak! Few extra dBs and note the jump/need of wattage there.
*So it's always good to have reserves, especially after having personally experienced some disastrous tube clipping (under powering) in the past.. Never again.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Even if it is a stretch, go for the Ref 150. You will never regret having more power. This is a totally subjective thing, but I strongly prefer the more simple looks of the Ref 150 and I think it will wear better overall aesthetically over time. The Ref 75 to me is a bit busy looking. The fans on the Ref 150 are very quiet. The fans on my Ref 110 are slightly audible, but only from 4-5 feet away. The Ref 150 has an updated fan design which removed the air turbulence that was the cause of noise to begin with. I understand it is always easy to spend someone else's money, but when spending at this level, buy for your future needs and avoid the possibility of feeling like "if only I would have"...
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 AM

I listen 10-11 feet away and I don't hear the fan on the 150 at all. A use 150 with less than 1000 hours in perfect condition will cost you around 8-9 K. Really the 150 will be a much better match for your speaker and the sound well amp of the year and did not share the title with any other amp.
Ansuz DTC Power Distributor, DTC Power Cables, D2 Speakers and Interconnect cables, DTC Power Box
Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 AM

The fan on the Ref 150 is not noticeable at all even from an ear to amp listen if you take it down from high speed. At any speed, it is significantly quieter than the Ref 110 design.
Also highly recommend splurge from Ref 75 to Ref 150. Both of them are better in every way than the Ref 110, but the Ref 150 more so. Based on my past comparison on the last 3 generations of ARC amps with the wilson WP series, the ref 150 should provide primarily more grip, precision and depth on the low end and more ease in the presentation. I would talk to Cal at ARC about the sound difference on Sashas. He was able to describe to me differences between Ref 110 and Ref 150 and between Ref 150 and 250s on Sasha. I have subsequently able to make these comparisons myself and he was right in all respects.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 AM

Thank you all for your input. I was all set to get the ref75, but my dealer informs me he will give me a killer deal if I step up to the 150. So... Gonna talk with him some more tomorrow and order something. Not sure what, but can't go wrong!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 AM

I don't have much experience with Audii Research but I think more power is a good idea.