AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM

Default LS-27 Thoughts

I'm currently in the process of demoing an LS-27, and while I don't have time to write a full review, I just wanted to throw out a few things I noticed:

1) Nice remote. ARC's remote sensitivity has typically been a bit, uh, lax, but the LS-27 seems to have a good sensor in that I don't have to aim directly at the unit like I've often needed to do with their CD players.

2) I love both balanced and single-ended jacks for every input. Just pick up an Oppo with balanced stereo outs? No problem! Need extra unbalanced inputs? No problem! Very flexible, I wish more manufacturers would do this.

3) I really miss volume "ramping." The Levinson No. 380S will turn the volume down and ramp it back up each time you switch inputs; the LS-27 is old-school, so if you have a quiet source and switch to a loud one, you'll be blown out of the room. Not the preamp's fault, I'm just saying.

4) A very slight smearing and loss of dimensional detail. If I compare the sound of components wired directly to the amp as compared to the same components running through the LS-27, I notice they lose a bit of air, a bit of dimensionality and a bit of crispness. The No. 380S doesn't do that.

On the other hand you can hear a euphonic character the 27's 6H30s impart, which is very nice indeed. By comparison the soundstage on the 380S is a either a bit deeper and laid back and/or the 27 is a bit more forward. I suspect I would need a Ref 5 or Ref 5 SE to really surpass the 380S.

Overall, I'm liking what I hear, but as my preamp is on 24x7x365, I'd need to retube at least annually. (Dave Gordon recommends 5000 hours, which would have me retubing about every seven months at $130/pair.)

I'd still like to compare a 380S and an Ayre KX-R if I can ever find a way to do that; you may recall I live about ten minutes from Ayre but they have no Colorado dealers at all.

BTW, tube hours are at 287 right now; anyone know if the slight smearing of detail goes away with even more break-in?

My example: In Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" the song starts with a brush playing a drum. When my Wadia is connected directly to the amp it's very palpably a drum, with overtones of the drum head giving a good sense of space and the type of drum head. Through the 380S, the effect is reduced just a bit but not by much, but through the 27 the sound is of a drum but the very palpable positioning in space and the little sounds that make it clearly a brush hitting a drum are lessened. If the soundstage were say 20' wide and 20' deep with the Wadia direct connected, it would be perhaps 19' x 19' with the 380S but it's more like 18' x 18' with the 27 right now.

Any other 27 owners or those who've demoed them care to share?

Last edited by BillK; 01-31-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Music Provides Joy

Bill:

Great write-up! Do you own the 380s now?

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Searching for the Sound!

I am not familiar with the break-in length of the LS-27, but I do know the REF 5 and REF 40 was around 600 hours.
Speakers: Thiel 3.6
Cables: Transparent Power Protection: PS Audio PPP
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
I am not familiar with the break-in length of the LS-27, but I do know the REF 5 and REF 40 was around 600 hours.
really ??????? please explain what takes 600 hrs to 'break in' ??
Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM

Capacitors...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM

not familiar with the ls27 - but I am with the 380s. I'm a little surprised to hear your impressions, because I thought the 380s did not fair very well in a direct wire comparison as you described. Although, in my experience, most pre amps don't do very well in the type of test you are describing (running a dac direct to amps). However- I do applaud your methodology. A pre amp is one of the easiest components to get handle on- as you can do a bypass test as described - you would be amazed how miserably many pre amps will fair in this type of test.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Bill, I have owned the KX-R, have owned ML and have had the LS27, REF5 and REF40 in my systems as well.

The KX-R really is an incredible preamp and a must audition! There is so much resolution and so much life coming out of the KX-R... It has a sparkle to it and it simply breathes with air. I even had a nick name for it and called it the "illuminator". Seriously, this preamp is capable of spotlighting the whole soundstage and dig deep into the dark pockets of the recording and bring it all to life without any negatives that may be usually associated with this type of transparency and incredible resolution. Don't buy anything until you listen to it.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 PM

Bill

What gain are you using on the LS-27?. This for reasons's unknown to me has a significant impact on the sound quality. Each of the 3 gain structures sounds different. You can set different gain for each input, so that might fix your volume issues between inputs.

For me that was not a good thing as the gain sq is not consistent between the 3 gain settings.

It is a very nice sounding unit. BTW, I agree the 380S is a very laid back pre amp and sounds wonderful.

Last edited by turntable; 01-31-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 PM

Bill,

I have an ARC LS27 so I feel I can provide an additional perspective.

First, the LS will continue to improve with additional hours. I noticed a significant difference between 300 and 400 hours.

Yes, the LS27 does not have a laid back presentation. It does present quite a bit of detail. Cymbals, triangles, and other delicate instruments are presented with nice accuracy and extension. While it is not laid back, it is also not fatiguing.

Interestingly, it also has 3 gain levels. I feel each level has what I consider to be a unique sound signature. In my system, I prefer the low gain setting because to me it sounds a bit more musical and, yes, more relaxed. The other settings sound a bit more forward.

All in all, this is a very nice unit. I'm very happy with it.

Hope that helps!

Mike
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 PM

The 380S is a "mute master" compared to the newer designs you are asking about
I had a LS26 which was far superior to anything Levinson
I do agree that some of the convince features are nice but ultimately do you listen to the features?