AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-12-2018, 07:05 AM
mcpaf76's Avatar
mcpaf76 mcpaf76 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 391
Default

Just to add my personal experience, my new Ma252 is dead silent, ear to speakers, with a silent test track playing 100% volume. I will keep an eye on it for this hum.
__________________
Living Room

Nad M12 preamp with BlueOS card, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Wireworld Electra 7 power cords, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. Herbie's Tenderfeet, Cone and Hush Puckies isolation feet. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player

Spare Room/Office

Parasound Hint 6 Integrated amplifier, Dynaudio Contour 20's, Bluesound Node 2i, Audioquest Red River RCA interconnects. GIK Acoustic's Impressions Series panels and Soffit Bass traps.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Formerly YB-2's Avatar
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is online now
Retired


 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 5,407
Default

If you own an MA252 and like everything but the hum, try rolling in a set of Gold Lion tubes that have been tested by the seller (Tube Depot, whomever). Would not be the first time an OEM provided a noisy set of tubes to their customers.
__________________
Glenn...
Audeze LCD-3 Canton Ref 9K Clearaudio SM Pro Denon DP-80 w/Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cdza Blk & K-b, AT33R & AT150Ti Kenwood L-07M mono-blocks Mark Levinson No. 383 Oppo 203 Parasound JC3 jr PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Sony ST-J75 Stax UA-7/CF SurgeX XR-315 Woo WA6 Gen 1 WW Eclipse 8/7 Pt, Au, Ag, Mini(x2), Starlight & Nano Yamaha T-2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 PM
gabor gabor is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bellingham WA as of 1/15/19
Posts: 25
Default

I emailed McIntosh about this.Their answer is that it is to be expected with tubes running the pre amp functions....anyway I have this in my system but you have to place your ear within a centimeter of the active speaker drivers.

Gabe
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-2018, 02:52 AM
ps7256's Avatar
ps7256 ps7256 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 267
Default Speaker humming from a new Mcintosh MA252

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor View Post
I emailed McIntosh about this.Their answer is that it is to be expected with tubes running the pre amp functions....anyway I have this in my system but you have to place your ear within a centimeter of the active speaker drivers.



Gabe


Just had tube issue, significant hum and fizz. Replaced my Tubes and audioquest interconnects and PS Audio AC3 Power cable. Now back to velvet blackness.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2019, 12:42 AM
TAliyev TAliyev is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

I also have buzzing MA252.... Speakers emit 60Hz buzz even when volume is set to 0%.
Moving volume to 100% just adds extra low "Shhh", but the buzz is still there...
I have Panamax M5300 to filter AC noise and Emotiva CMX-2 to block possible DC.. Still buzz... Not very loud, you have to be within 1-2 feet from speakers to hear it, but it is there..always...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-05-2019, 11:15 AM
FreddieFerric's Avatar
FreddieFerric FreddieFerric is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NOLA
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpaf76 View Post
Just to add my personal experience, my new Ma252 is dead silent, ear to speakers, with a silent test track playing 100% volume. I will keep an eye on it for this hum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor View Post
I emailed McIntosh about this.Their answer is that it is to be expected with tubes running the pre amp functions....anyway I have this in my system but you have to place your ear within a centimeter of the active speaker drivers.

Gabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAliyev View Post
I also have buzzing MA252.... Speakers emit 60Hz buzz even when volume is set to 0%.
Moving volume to 100% just adds extra low "Shhh", but the buzz is still there...
I have Panamax M5300 to filter AC noise and Emotiva CMX-2 to block possible DC.. Still buzz... Not very loud, you have to be within 1-2 feet from speakers to hear it, but it is there..always...
Sounds like McIntosh has a QC problem with this line. How are they letting those units out the door? For them to reply via email that a hum/buzz is to be expected (just the nature of tubes) is a blow off statement IMHO.

I feel bad for the members who trusted the brand and then have to put up with that annoyance. If it were me, I would have sent the unit back ASAP and demanded either a non-buzzing unit or a refund.
__________________
McIntosh MA8000; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Dokoder 1120; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 20; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000 (3); Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Panamax PM-5400

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 03-05-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 PM
ps7256's Avatar
ps7256 ps7256 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Sounds like McIntosh has a QC problem with this line. How are they letting those units out the door? For them to reply via email that a hum/buzz is to be expected (just the nature of tubes) is a blow off statement IMHO.

I feel bad for the members who trusted the brand and then have to put up with that annoyance. If it were me, I would have sent the unit back ASAP and demanded either a non-buzzing unit or a refund.


Had the hum/buzz issue last June with new MC452, Non-Tube. Took it back to dealer and ordered a new MC462. The MC462 was dead after 3 weeks of use. Exchanged for another new MC462. This one has been working well since October 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-05-2019, 12:35 PM
FreddieFerric's Avatar
FreddieFerric FreddieFerric is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NOLA
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
Had the hum/buzz issue last June with new MC452, Non-Tube. Took it back to dealer and ordered a new MC462. The MC462 was dead after 3 weeks of use. Exchanged for another new MC462. This one has been working well since October 2018.
Just incredible! What's happening to this company? Not good, no matter how they try to spin it.
__________________
McIntosh MA8000; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Dokoder 1120; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 20; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000 (3); Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Panamax PM-5400
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 PM
ps7256's Avatar
ps7256 ps7256 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Just incredible! What's happening to this company? Not good, no matter how they try to spin it.


It is a great question. Do not know what is going on. I remember hearing that it was maybe a ‘bad batch’ of parts, but QC does come to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Jim B Jim B is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Any update on this? I just bought an amp with identical issue. About to change tubes to see if that corrects hum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase