AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Amati Futura Vs 802D3

Hi All,

Can anyone please share their insights on these two?

I haven't heard the Amati and my experience with Sonus has been limited (since domus/cremona era).

Which would be a better choice in your unbiased opinion? I listen to a wide variety of music including pop, jazz, R&B, classical, vocals, instruments and am using McIntosh gear.

I am leaning towards the BWs and I am rather familiar with its sound. Like the look of the Sonus better.

It is a big purchase and it will be my end system so wouldn't want to make the wrong choice.

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Trust your ears and forget what people say, it's a big investment and you are the only one that has to be happy with the choice. Both speakers are great!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Exsg.......I agree with Mike's comment, trust your ears. You can ask for an unbiased opinion but you won't get one. We are all biased toward the sound we like. That will always influence a person's recommendation. I suggest you take a half dozen CD's that you are intimately familiar with when you audition speakers. Your ears will lead you to the the speakers that please you the most.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Life is beautiful

Mike and Dan are right.
B&W 802D3 and SF Amati Futura are both very nice speakers, but do have a very different flavour.
Try to hear them with your own gear.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Exsg.......Oh, and my speakers are Sonus faber Amati Anniversario's, so my unbiased opinion is get the Futura's. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Exsg.......I agree with Mike's comment, trust your ears. You can ask for an unbiased opinion but you won't get one. We are all biased toward the sound we like. That will always influence a person's recommendation. I suggest you take a half dozen CD's that you are intimately familiar with when you audition speakers. Your ears will lead you to the the speakers that please you the most.
That`s good advice, fully agree.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:50 PM

I will admit I have not auditioned the Amati Futura but I have listened to the 802D3's. In general I like the musical character of the Sonus Faber speakers, having owned the Cremona M's. I would characterize the 802D3's as being rather cool and analytical, with outstanding low bass extension. It's a good speaker but it depends on your preference in sound. Let your ears be your guide.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Thought I'd ask. I got a friend who advised me against BWs saying that they aren't good speakers and are overpriced, and that audiophiles won't buy this brand.

Based on my memory of cremonas, they were warm sounding and had great natural vocals.

I should hop down to the local dealer to hear these.

Slept on it last night and wonder if I should go ahead with the 802d3 and then if possible change the 805s to something nice from sonus, like the guarneri.

What are the shortcomings of the amatis against the 802d3s? Perhaps lower end not as deep, smaller soundstage, darker sound? How about the timbral quality and airiness? Will look out for it when I do go hear them.

800d3 paired with classe sigma monos really sounded airy in its high end with tight bass. Same speakers m601s with naim preamp sounded so so.

Perhaps 802s with c2500 will make it more textured and life like.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsg View Post
Thought I'd ask. I got a friend who advised me against BWs saying that they aren't good speakers and are overpriced, and that audiophiles won't buy this brand.
Statements like this are misrepresentations from individuals who don't care for B&Ws just as they would be from dealers who are trying to sell a competitor.

There are a number of well-known brands of loudspeaker that I do not care for but their sound is the result of intent on the part of the manufacturer and it does appeal to many others.

I would never castigate them that way.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Statements like this are misrepresentations from individuals who don't care for B&Ws just as they would be from dealers who are trying to sell a competitor.

There are a number of well-known brands of loudspeaker that I do not care for but their sound is the result of intent on the part of the manufacturer and it does appeal to many others.

I would never castigate them that way.
He had me sit up and start thinking for awhile.

Really like your reviews on 802s and sigma monos. Was weighing it against the macs. The blue meters got to me without saying.

Personally would you have chosen 802d3s over the amatis?