AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Music Provides Joy

I don't say this to be flippant, but just to clarify what I meant:

I didn't say (or mean to say) that DSD was created to run over USB.
All I said was that SPDIF was never designed to carry DSD.

I implied that USB is better suited to DSD than SPDIF. USB was intended to be universal and can support higher bandwidth than SPDIF.

Cheers

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.

Last edited by kfr01; 12-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post

My message was merely completed in an "enjoy the music" spirit, not in any way to imply you were being a pest!

If you've browsed computer audiophile, you have obviously seen that there are many ways to handle digital right now.

One of the wonderful things about this forum, and I think you've probably seen it already, is that few here will strongly push in the direction they've selected. We all acknowledge there many different ways to implement enjoyable and wonderful sounding systems.

While acknowledging that there are probably better ways, here's what I do and why:

Mac Mini running Audirvana. HDMI out to a 55" TV for the primary graphical interface. The Apple wireless keyboard and wireless trackpad make a great remote control. I can also use remote desktop on my laptop (if I want to have the larger TV off) or the remote application on my iPhone. Firewire interface to an external 4g HD storing the library. USB to the Esoteric DAC for the audio. The Esoteric DAC also serves as my preamplifier, as I do not have any analog sources in the man cave.

I've selected this approach because Audirvana seems to be on the leading edge of processing different file formats. Thus, -anything I download-, I can play via one library and one player. Even if my DAC doesn't natively support one of the formats, Audirvana handles it without a hiccup. I don't have to wait for a hardware manufacturer to update software for my system or all my files to work. I can change DACs anytime I want simply by plugging my USB cord into a different DAC. Audirvana auto-recognizes the capabilities of the DAC and I'm good to go.

Now, for the reasons you (or someone else) brought up in another thread, I think the special purpose media server/renderer is the future. I think Bryston agrees. However, and all respect to Bryston as they are certainly the top of breed in this category, I don't think any of these manufacturers current has the software engineering capability to keep up with all the latest file format trends and to provide the frequent product updates this entails. On the other hand, I've updated my Audirvana software to add features a number of times in 2013. I expect this will change as more manufacturer's gain software engineering capability in-house.

Anyway, above are the reasons I selected my approach. The firewire HD -does- provide a separation between the USB audio and the file system bus and, yes, my audiophile nervosa (not technical necessity) is why I selected this particular separation.
Hi kfr01,

I didn't take it the wrong way, though I appreciate your clarifying. I figured it was good natured and said tongue in cheek. Sometimes I find it hard to convey my intent without sounding tedious and dull on a forum...:-) Thank you for your explanation and describing your digital setup. I appreciate it. I was a little worried that James might find me to be a pest, as I have been asking a handful of questions recently while digging into this stuff and trying to better understand my current equipment and how best to utilize it going forward with DSD.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
Bavarian05
Old 12-26-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Another way to phrase the question would be is the USB out on the same bus as the USB in.

I didn't realize DSD from file player to the DAC has to be over USB. That is unacceptable in my world. I have a Shunyata Python AES digital cable, and see no reason to go to a USB cable for DSD.
Yes, that would have been a much easier way to say it. Thanks. ;-)
Old 12-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Yes, that would have been a much easier way to say it. Thanks. ;-)
I may be incorrect but I believe USB is the only way to do it legally in terms of appropriate licences.

james
Old 12-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post

Hi kfr01,

I didn't take it the wrong way, though I appreciate your clarifying. I figured it was good natured and said tongue in cheek. Sometimes I find it hard to convey my intent without sounding tedious and dull on a forum...:-) Thank you for your explanation and describing your digital setup. I appreciate it. I was a little worried that James might find me to be a pest, as I have been asking a handful of questions recently while digging into this stuff and trying to better understand my current equipment and how best to utilize it going forward with DSD.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
Bavarian05
Keep asking questions!!! It helps all of us get answers we need. It's so cool when someone heads down a path of discovery. Your detail is welcome, not dry. We are all here to listen to and help one another. And, don't forget, James and other vendor reps on this forum benefit from hearing and answering these questions. Real time market intelligence. So, keep asking questions!

Old 12-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post

Keep asking questions!!! It helps all of us get answers we need. It's so cool when someone heads down a path of discovery. Your detail is welcome, not dry. We are all here to listen to and help one another. And, don't forget, James and other vendor reps on this forum benefit from hearing and answering these questions. Real time market intelligence. So, keep asking questions!
Thank you Pider.
I appreciate that!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
I may be incorrect but I believe USB is the only way to do it legally in terms of appropriate licences.

james
I would not be at all surprised if Sony is still trying to keep some type of license and/or anti-copying scheme in place. That was certainly true of SACD over HDMI. However, Sony is supposed to be a high-res file convert, and opening their music to downloads. So, restricting DSD to USB only between file player and DAC is poor business, since I am not aware of any copy protection in that case.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:11 PM

My Oppo 103 sends DSD to my 80.3 via HDMI.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
My Oppo 103 sends DSD to my 80.3 via HDMI.
That's right, because it can't be copied. Just played.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post

I will ask Engineering.

james
Hi James,

I don't know a lot about the USB architecture, but would the BDP-1 possibly have two USB buses, one for the lower rear port and a shared bus for the other three ports?
I'm only guessing, but since the power supplies are separated out like this, is it likely the buses are separated out this way also?
If so, maybe it would make sense when using the BDP-1 to output a USB signal, to input using one of these shared ports and to output using the lower rear port. This way one could avoid any potential degradation from using the same USB bus for input and output signals.

I am looking forward to hearing what your engineering dept. has to say.