AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM

PAL vs NTSC remains relevant to this day of HD. The foundation of how frames are displayed still have their roots in the original NTSC and PAL analog video formats. The preferred frame rate has historically been linked to the electricity cycles of the region.

PAL is the dominant framing system in the world & more countries have been moving to PAL. Mastering equipment has predominately been optimised for the PAL standard in many parts of the world.

This is a contentious topic & many of you may have different views as to why a Region B Blu-ray is generally a better disc.

This all shouldn't matter for the Blu-ray standard as the presentation for the format is the player's responsibility but as we know the master transfer may not always be reflected correctly in the 1st place.

Last edited by MyPal; 10-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
Thanks Bob... I will start doing a lot more research, especially on older titles. I might have to start ordering more titles off Amazon rather than locally. Just hope my player plays titles with no problem from other regions.
-----I know that you are a visitor (member?) at Bluray.com forum, and you should be able to have all the infos that you need there.

* By the way I do know a member at Bluray forum going by the username of THX. ...Not you by any chance?

And because 'The Terminator' is an older flick, and wasn't filmed by the greatest cameras at that time (from Cameron and entourage), and that the budget was very small too, you cannot expect more that what it truly is.
...So don't forget that in the full equation. It is the very same with music recordings; you can clean, but the more you do the more the original and natural shine on the wood floor is getting left behind, if you know what I mean.
...Like FOX studios did with the first Blu-ray release of 'Patton'. Or was it the DVD?

Anyway, 8mm and 16mm films will never look like 35 and 70mm films.
And the cameras from thirty years ago ('The Terminator') were nothing compared to today's advanced ultra high def cameras.

As for the different frame rates from different regions, the only thing I want is more of them in the near future; that's the only way you can follow the moving actions with focus. ...Stay tuned because eventually we'll get it!
I think Peter Jackson filmed 'The Hobbit' with 48fps, but I'm not 100% certain.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE

-----I know that you are a visitor (member?) at Bluray.com forum, and you should be able to have all the infos that you need there.

* By the way I do know a member at Bluray forum going by the username of THX. ...Not you by any chance?

And because 'The Terminator' is an older flick, and wasn't filmed by the greatest cameras at that time (from Cameron and entourage), and that the budget was very small too, you cannot expect more that what it truly is.
...So don't forget that in the full equation. It is the very same with music recordings; you can clean, but the more you do the more the original and natural shine on the wood floor is getting left behind, if you know what I mean.
...Like FOX studios did with the first Blu-ray release of 'Patton'. Or was it the DVD?

Anyway, 8mm and 16mm films will never look like 35 and 70mm films.
And the cameras from thirty years ago ('The Terminator') were nothing compared to today's advanced ultra high def cameras.

As for the different frame rates from different regions, the only thing I want is more of them in the near future; that's the only way you can follow the moving actions with focus. ...Stay tuned because eventually we'll get it!
I think Peter Jackson filmed 'The Hobbit' with 48fps, but I'm not 100% certain.
I go by thxthx on the Bluray.com site but only really log in to enter competitions.

The Hobbit has been filmed in 48fps with mixed reviews. Typically our IMAX theatre does not have the adequate projector to show us the 48fps version so I won't be able to check it out.

Regardless of the frame rates I have always found zone 1 DVD's better quality than ours!

I take into consideration the age of films but I am very surprised at the quality of some old films on Blu-ray... eg: Star Wars, Jaws. You can tell the ones that have effort (money) put into them. I just feel if your not going to put any money into a Blu-ray release, then leave it on DVD if the quality is going to be the same.
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Its still going to be better then the DVD if your a huge fan and considering its being sold for $7-8 bucks everywhere, I doubt there will be another option anytime soon. (at least for the North America region)

Of course I'm sure there will be a box set sooner or later. Maybe then...
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 PM

---Well, look at 'Patton' (FOX studios) for example on Blu-ray; it is quite controversial; picture quality wise (DNR).

AND! It is going to be rereleased again! Remastered, that's what they say! ...November 6 (next week).
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 AM

---Trevor, perhaps you and I did exchange some there in the past? ...Blu-ray Forums.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
---Trevor, perhaps you and I did exchange some there in the past? ...Blu-ray Forums.
I just write a comment leave. I don't really get involved over there. Who knows who people are talking to... Ha!
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM

---I see; "... to enter competitions."
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
---I see; "... to enter competitions."