AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Yes, I admit that I am, but anyone who knows just a little about manufacturing and technology will be impressed at what they see when they examine the details of that thing. Yes, it's expensive as hell, but honestly I don't know how they could produce such a highly refined product for less. The people that make these things better be making a good living...these are genuine American craftsmen. I only wish I could afford it. The good news is...trickle down is real and works in speakers Maybe I will have a speaker with some of these features in a smaller footprint in the future.
I have a bit of a philosophical question for you, Marc:

You already have a wonderful system with outstanding speakers, as Bart has insightfully pointed out.

Do you think that getting the XVX's would create a more engaging and beguiling experience than you have now?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

You already have a wonderful system with outstanding speakers, as Bart has insightfully pointed out.

Do you think that getting the XVX's would create a more engaging and beguiling experience than you have now?
I’m not gonna speak for Marc, but in my opinion, part of the audiophile hobby is a bit of the “variety is the spice of life” mentality. I have no complaints or any inkling about upgrading anything in my system, but I still look on Audiogon and always enjoy looking at new gear. Even this weekend I was like.....man, I wonder how these Boulder amplifiers would sound with the Avalons? Heck, I wouldn't trade a Simaudio Moon/B&W 800 system for mine in a million years, but I was thinking, "man, that system would look incredibly cool in my room". Anyway, I think that audiophiles in general always want to check out new/and or different gear since that’s part of the deal!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 09-09-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Let me be clear... I can't afford xvx and probably never will.

I appreciate the compliments, thank you.

Like many of you. I covet things I can't have. I can appreciate them from afar... The technology, the style, the craftsmanship. The legs. Oh. We're talking about speakers.

Seriously, I do think that the law of diminished returns applies and I'd probably not enjoy these in a way that is "night and day" over my current experience.

I often think that it would be a cool idea to try something "different" for fun... Like get some used Maggies and store in a closet and pull them out once in a while. That way I'm having different experiences without trying to create one "perfect" experience, which as we all know doesn't exist!

I might actually do that someday!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Great pics and commentary. Many thanks for taking the time and effort
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Go Dawgs

I just got home this afternoon, settled in and wanted to post a couple more pics from the weekend to wrap it up......the first is at the Steakhouse on Saturday night, Ed decided to do a toast to the weekend and all of us getting together again.......you know, it's really incredible how we all met on the "internet" and have now gotten to be a pretty tight knit group who's gotten together in Seattle, Denver......it's pretty amazing how well everyone gets along, it's like we've known each other for years. Anyway, my wife even commented on how it's pretty cool that everyone bonded over this hobby and all have such a great time together listening, talking....drinking together (that means you Marc, Rob and Ed ). Heck, on Sunday, Steve, Rob, Jodi and I were having a great time watching Medvedev and Nadal battle in the U.S. Open final at the Mountain View sports bar.......Anyway, if anyone else reads our RMAF thread that hasn't gotten involved yet, try and and make an attempt next year (what say you Ivan!), I think you'll be incredibly surprised! So here's Ed toasting the table and involving the rest of the restaurant area as well.

Here's a couple of pics I took of the sunset over the Rocky Mountains while we were waiting to be seated.....it was spectacular in person!!!!!

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 09-09-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Buck. When you mentioned the drinking, you can't leave Rob out. We three musketeers closed the Gaylord rockies DOWN
Old 09-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Buck. When you mentioned the drinking, you can't leave Rob out. We three musketeers closed the Gaylord rockies DOWN
Ha! Hold on.....editing!

- Buck
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I’m not gonna speak for Marc, but in my opinion, part of the audiophile hobby is a bit of the “variety is the spice of life” mentality. I have no complaints or any inkling about upgrading anything in my system, but I still look on Audiogon and always enjoy looking at new gear. Even this weekend I was like.....man, I wonder how these Boulder amplifiers would sound with the Avalons? Heck, I wouldn't trade a Simaudio Moon/B&W 800 system for mine in a million years, but I was thinking, "man, that system would look incredibly cool in my room". Anyway, I think that audiophiles in general always want to check out new/and or different gear since that’s part of the deal!

- Buck
Very well said Buck. I too listen to equipment at RMAF, at dealer events, etc., and wonder how something would sound in my room and system. I think that’s one of the things that makes a show like RMAF so enjoyable: the opportunity to hear so many different styles in equipment that we might never buy for ourselves. I also always appreciate hearing the perspectives of others. I think there is no single “right” sound, and that’s why there are Wilson fans, Sonus Faber fans, Martin-Logan fans, tube fans, solid state fans, etc., and why sometimes we come away from a room at a show having different opinions - and most importantly, why we always wonder how green the other grass might be.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Oh My God! That wasn’t me, that’s obviously the double bourbons toasting the restaurant!

All kidding aside camaraderie between a great group of people!

We will plan country tours from coast to coast and in between!

Then it continued on the flight home, the guy next to me owns several venues we frequent in Seattle, Denver and into Boise - he lives 3 miles away, and we know the same people - now planning to get together and listen to some audio that impressed him.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Oh My God! That wasn’t me, that’s obviously the double bourbons toasting the restaurant!

All kidding aside camaraderie between a great group of people!

We will plan country tours from coast to coast and in between!

Then it continued on the flight home, the guy next to me owns several venues we frequent in Seattle, Denver and into Boise - he lives 3 miles away, and we know the same people - now planning to get together and listen to some audio that impressed him.

It was you Ed.