AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > DeVore Fidelity

DeVore Fidelity Nothing brings you closer to the Music

Old 10-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Retired

Default Audition - 0/96, 0/93 & Super Nines

Dropped up to my nearest Devore dealer, BEK in Allentown, PA yesterday. Eric has the 0/96, 0/93 & Super Nines on the floor. He auditioned all for me using a Luxman L-509x (120wpc) which is very close to my ML No.383 in power (size, weight, etc.). The 0/96 were all ready set up and he only had to move a few cables around and, voila, wonderful sound. After 20-25 minutes of listening to some jazz and female vocal cuts we switched to the 0/93. Eric felt that the 0/93 are a bit warmer in tone, but to my ears they seemed to be very similar, with the 0/96 having, perhaps, the slightest better bass. So close would be difficult to justify the price difference. And, both simply blew away the Super Nines, which seemed almost tubby & slow by comparison. Perhaps the L-509x was not a good match for the Super Nines, which could always be the case. I'll have to hear something else very good during my next few months 'speaker search' to not end up with a pair of 0/93s in the not-too-distant future. Very musical with excellent clarity & speed.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-19-2019, 10:14 PM

I owned the O/93s for a while with my Line Magnetic integrated amp, they are impressive, lots of detail, and very good bass. What speaker cables is BEK using with the Orangutans?
Old 10-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Retired

Analog Analysis comes to mind, but I may be wrong (wasn't paying all that much attention other than wanting to know about the cable construction). They are a flat, multi-strand silver coated copper conductor. He did mention that Devore uses a cable from Germany to voice their speakers and was willing to use them. I'll be back with my music next time and may ask for them to compare.

BEK had a large LM 300B amp plugged in when I arrived and a Leben also in the rack. But, I'm pretty sure I'm over my 'tube-phase'. I find solid-state works better for our current life-style.

Edit - checked the BEK Hifi website. Cables were Analysis Plus Silver Oval. They certainly did not detract from the presentation that I could tell. Likely similar to WW Silver Eclipse.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 10-21-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Retired

Took a contingent of our SEPAS to listen to Devore speakers at BEK after rummaging thru Double Decker's LP bins. Erik of BEK was kind enough to let us listen to a the Luxman KT88 amp (25wpc) being driven from the biggest Luxman integrated (590xII, maybe?) preamp section (we did not want to bother making all the moves needed to put in a line stage). We listened to a Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge on a Brinkman DD TT/TA combo thru a Lehmann Decade phono-pre. First up was Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" followed a The-The synth-pop LP and then another jazz LP. We also give a short listen to a pair of Harbeth HL-5. The four of us thought they were totally out-classed by the 0/96, but Erik explained that 25wpc is simply not enough for the HL-5 and we should have been listening to the amp section of the 590 integrated to make it fair. Whatever........ we all agreed that the Devore 0/96s were wonderful.