AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 05-10-2020, 03:29 PM

Is this for real? I heard great things about Harbeth. But I didn't think they sounded so big. A few months ago I was about to buy the p3esr, but when I realized the size of this little boys I went for a couple of Rega rx3.
I wonder now if I took the wrong choice, specifically after reading Jerome's post.
Are these little boxes that good?
Dammit, after all I don't enjoying the Rega's too much. They don't have the clarity, and the highs are a little bit harsh and cluster.
I couldn't live without the low end thought, I can't possibly believe that the p3esr have too much. Or do I? At least enough body?
I'm very capable of doing something crazy and get rid of my 4 months rega rx3!
Regards, and thanks for bring this to my attention Jerome!
Old 05-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manubarrow View Post
Is this for real? I heard great things about Harbeth. But I didn't think they sounded so big. A few months ago I was about to buy the p3esr, but when I realized the size of this little boys I went for a couple of Rega rx3.
I wonder now if I took the wrong choice, specifically after reading Jerome's post.
Are these little boxes that good?
Dammit, after all I don't enjoying the Rega's too much. They don't have the clarity, and the highs are a little bit harsh and cluster.
I couldn't live without the low end thought, I can't possibly believe that the p3esr have too much. Or do I? At least enough body?
I'm very capable of doing something crazy and get rid of my 4 months rega rx3!
Regards, and thanks for bring this to my attention Jerome!
I can't comment as I've never heard P3ESR's in my room, but what I can say is my 30.2s sound frickin' incredible.....

S'ironic...I started out my professional science career listening to Large Advents in Walnut back in 1976.

And finished it with another ~ 2 cubic foot box...Harbeth 30.2s.

What goes around, comes around.

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I can't comment as I've never heard P3ESR's in my room, but what I can say is my 30.2s sound frickin' incredible.....

S'ironic...I started out my professional science career listening to Large Advents in Walnut back in 1976.

And finished it with another ~ 2 cubic foot box...Harbeth 30.2s.

What goes around, comes around.

Hello Stephen,

So no more Dyns ??
I am amazed.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hello Stephen,

So no more Dyns ??
I am amazed.
Oh, I still have the Dyns...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:58 PM

That's a sweet setup you got there, Stephen. Must sound wonderful. Those Harbs are big and have plenty box to sound BIG. In comparison the p3's are like a toy. Dunno if they can make a great image for the obvious reasons.
I use to have floodstanders or 8" woofer.
Congrats on your beautiful system.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:30 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manubarrow View Post
That's a sweet setup you got there, Stephen. Must sound wonderful. Those Harbs are big and have plenty box to sound BIG. In comparison the p3's are like a toy. Dunno if they can make a great image for the obvious reasons.
I use to have floodstanders or 8" woofer.
Congrats on your beautiful system.
Hi Manu,
Actually, the P3ESRs may image even better than the 30.2s because they are smaller. It is a generally-accepted theory that the best imaging speakers are those that are closest in size to a "point source", so in general, excellent imaging is generally a strong-point of smaller standmount speakers.

Supplement the lower octaves with a sub, and you should have a really, really nice system.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Oh, I still have the Dyns...

Good for you !!
They will be back in business in your room in a few months. You can take my word on that.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:10 AM

Default Harbeth P3ESR's

Hello folks,

Many years after my Harbeth journey, I have to give you more feed back. Since many things changed.
I owned 3 or 4 pairs of P3ESR, including Anniversary and SE versions.
And I discovered the Falcons LS3/5a and the Stirling LS3/5a.
We spent a complete afternoon with a friend, comparing the P3ESR to these 2 3/5a.
Ending up together with a cruel conclusion to the P3.
The 3/5 is a more balanced speaker, with even more transparent and natural mids than the P3.
The bass of the Falcons is also more «*real*».
Like the 30.1, the P3ESR has stunning mids, and very opened treble. But there is an overemphasis around 80/100Hz which gets boring and fatiguing with time. You really get the impression that the speakers want to seem bigger than what they are.
No more Harbeths at home. Although I could live again with the 40.1 or 40.2 which I never heard. The 40.1 had the very best mids I ever heard, no matter the price.
But talking about stand mount speakers, there are definitely better balanced speakers than the P3 and easier to drive than the 3/5.
I now have Dynaudio Excite X14 speakers in my office, and I prefer them clearly over the P3 ESR. The tonal balance is much better and the mids are still very beautiful and natural.
The Dyns Special 40 are also said to be wonderful and are a bit less expensive than the P3.
I came to the conclusion that when it comes to bookshelf speakers, Dynaudio knows probably better than anyone else how to make them.

Last edited by Jerome W; 06-03-2020 at 11:32 PM.