AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 08-31-2020, 06:47 PM
George

Well after six weeks and some cable changes I am done with this upgrade cycle. I am very happy with the sound. One surprise has been how the Sennheiser and Focal headphones have gotten very significantly closer in sound. Their uniqueness is still there but MUCH less pronounced. They have strongly taken on the character of the electronics behind them. I noticed this before with speaker systems. I think it is the amp. You get a really powerful amp and it tends to grab the output device and tell it how to sound. When I was new to this pursuit I had trialed some fantastic electrostatic speakers, but did not have an amp powerful enough to power them, so always erred on the side of more power... and that has always rewarded me.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:38 PM
George

AntonB was quite correct about being out of control. After perfecting my headphone system, I realized my main system was missing the musicality that I had achieved with the 300Bs on my headphone system. Well, one year and about $70K later, I have to say my main system now truly excels at musicality.. I think I am done for a while… now I seem to have started remodeling the house (not me personally with hammer and nail). I didn’t think I would be bored when I retired… I don’t seem to be.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 06-26-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george prentice View Post
i think i am done for a while…

🤣🤣🤣🤣
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2