AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 07-15-2020, 11:19 AM

I bought my 802ds a few months ago, and can't see that I will ever let them leave the house. They are in my two channel system. If money and wife allow, I would like to add a pair to the theater. I already have the HTM1 D3 in the HT.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
I bought my 802ds a few months ago, and can't see that I will ever let them leave the house. They are in my two channel system. If money and wife allow, I would like to add a pair to the theater. I already have the HTM1 D3 in the HT.
802 D3's? What are you using for amp(s) for them?
Old 07-17-2020, 10:28 AM

I am going to audition (again) 802 and 803 d3s next week. I am also torn by this. I have a 2 channel system based on Revel F208s paired with a C2600/MC462 and it sounds magical in my home. I did a side-by-side and for sure, the 803 is a better speaker than the 208. The 802 even more so. For music though, the F208 just seems wonderful, especially without a direct A/B comparison. My current need is more for the HT setup though and I keep going back to the 803s and 802s being "overkill" for primarily HT usage. I do not think the F208s are well suited for HT duty so I do not really want to move them (again - incredibly happy with my 2 channel system). If I buy an 802/803 it seems like they should move to the 2 channel system for sure though since they are "better".

I currently have an HTM2 D3 center channel paired with ML Motion 60XTs in my HT setup. Looking to put the motions to rear duty and upgrade the fronts to better match the HTM2. That is primary motivation. I have also considered 702 and 705 options to build out the system. Currently being amped by an MC205.

Seems like consensus here is to get the best speaker one can buy and enjoy. For sure 802 > 803 > 702
Old 07-17-2020, 10:52 AM

McIntosh MC452. I heard the 802s at the dealer being run by a single MC275.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Wink A penny for your thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
I am going to audition (again) 802 and 803 d3s next week. I am also torn by this. I have a 2 channel system based on Revel F208s paired with a C2600/MC462 and it sounds magical in my home. I did a side-by-side and for sure, the 803 is a better speaker than the 208. The 802 even more so. For music though, the F208 just seems wonderful, especially without a direct A/B comparison. My current need is more for the HT setup though and I keep going back to the 803s and 802s being "overkill" for primarily HT usage. I do not think the F208s are well suited for HT duty so I do not really want to move them (again - incredibly happy with my 2 channel system). If I buy an 802/803 it seems like they should move to the 2 channel system for sure though since they are "better".

I currently have an HTM2 D3 center channel paired with ML Motion 60XTs in my HT setup. Looking to put the motions to rear duty and upgrade the fronts to better match the HTM2. That is primary motivation. I have also considered 702 and 705 options to build out the system. Currently being amped by an MC205.

Seems like consensus here is to get the best speaker one can buy and enjoy. For sure 802 > 803 > 702
Tripitz..... It seems that you've been doing quite a bit of looking into your Home Theater (HM) sound. It also seems like you're keeping things a bit closer to earth, price wise, so I thought that I'd ask for your thoughts on adding speakers to what we already have to expand our 2-channel stereo system into the realm of a 5-channel setup.

As the signature will show, we presently use a pair of N802s for fronts and a pair of N805s (all in red cherry) for a 2-amp system that's controlled by our Mac MX-130. Specifically, the N802s are driven by our Mac MC300, while our N805s are driven by our MAC4200.

The [eventual] idea is to add a suitable center and a subwoofer to these four B&Ws and end up with a decent 5.1 system.

If you happen to have any thoughts on the MartinLogan (ML) Motion 30 center -- or on MartinLogan, in general -- I'd be much obliged to read them.

I'd also like to get your thoughts on subwoofers for home theater? The only sub I've ever really spent any time listening to was in an RX7 -- and that was circa '85! I do have to admit, however, that the sub did add an interesting aspect to the Alpine car audio system that was in that car.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections

Last edited by 70sMac; 08-11-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Further clarification