AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Anyone using Joule preamps with Lamm?

I've got the M1.2 Reference amps mated with Wilson Sashas. I am looking for a little more 3 dimensionality and tonal density than what I am getting with my Musical Fidelity kW.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Joule preamps and the Lamms? I am considering the LA 300ME.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM

When I had my Spectron amps, the conventional thinking was to go with the Joule preamps. I really wanted one, though I've never heard one. One of the things that bothered me was some of the tubes they use are not available anywhere but from them. Not common tubes anymore. Yes, you could buy a few spares and their preamps are supposed to be very easy on tubes so they should last a long time. There are many loyal followers if you read the agon forums. I really should have tried one as I occasionally think about them. Their LA450ME is their fully balanced statement pre. If you are patient, they come around on "demo" for great prices. Let us know what you do.

Joe
Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks Joe. I see you have a CJ ET5. That is another preamp I would consider. How do you like it and how would you characterize the sound?

Thanks.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann
Thanks Joe. I see you have a CJ ET5. That is another preamp I would consider. How do you like it and how would you characterize the sound?

Thanks.
Hi Dave,

I love the ET5 so much I really am debating moving up to the GAT. I almost did it a couple of times and still may do it. There's just something great about my CJ gear. Yes, it takes forever to break in and patients is a must. Lucid sound, wide layered sound stage. All around great piece. People are telling me the ET5 is 90% of the GAT for 50% of the price. It responds well to tube rolling. Two brands I love and can't live without are Burmester and Conrad Johnson.

Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 12-02-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks Joe. I'll have to keep my eye out for one. Regards.

Dave
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM

I had a Joule LA 150 SE (very close to the 300) with my M1.2 Refs/Sashas and didn't like the combo much.

I'm much happier with the Lamm L2 Ref preamp. Detail galore compared to the Joule. Also like Shindo (which I'm currently auditioning).
Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd
I had a Joule LA 150 SE (very close to the 300) with my M1.2 Refs/Sashas and didn't like the combo much.

I'm much happier with the Lamm L2 Ref preamp. Detail galore compared to the Joule. Also like Shindo (which I'm currently auditioning).
Maybe the lack of detail on the Joule balances out the hyper detail of the Spectron amps which is why I think they try and pair them together.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Maybe the lack of detail on the Joule balances out the hyper detail of the Spectron amps which is why I think they try and pair them together.
Agreed. I preferred the Joule with my Spectrons over the Lamms for that reason.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Agreed. I preferred the Joule with my Spectrons over the Lamms for that reason.
Maybe I should have tried that combo before I got rid of the Spectrons. Might have worked out OK. At the time, I found a great deal on a demo LA450ME but chickened out. Probably would have been fun.

Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 12-03-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post

Thanks MadFloyd. I know you have been through a few preamps and I appreciate your comments about the Joule. I definitely don't want to move in the direction of less detail. I had the Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe and ended up selling it because it obscured musical details and softened attack.

I just wish the hybrid Lamm L2 Ref had a remote...