AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
No argument from me on the quality of HD. It is a format that is only pushed by those with a vested interest (ibiquity and others) in its success. Absolutely no technical reason for it to exist. And, Terry tells me that his fix on the MR80 is 'once-and-done'. Unfortunately, the chipset used inside the MR85, like most FM tuners for the past 10-15 years, leaves quite a bit to be desired. If I go modern, other than the TM2 module, it would be an MR88. But, while I'm willing to spend the $6-800 for a TM2 module, I am not going to spend $2500+ for an MR88.
Sounds to me like you what you find most important is the quality of the tuner.

If I can suggest see if you can demo a MR88 in your home and see whether or not the quality is what you seek. If so, then I think its a no brainer, get the 6600 with a TM2. If not, then you can get an MR80 and then decide with integrated will match it best.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Thanks, but I'm a 'critical' FM listener and own several of the best tuners built over the past 40-50 years,
If you already own some of the best tuners ever built, why not buy the MA7000 and have the best of all worlds?

I own, and am "crazy" about my MA7000.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
I didn't realize the TM2 was the new module with HD, got it confused with the TM1... The MR85 however is a rock solid performer and doesn't need repeated visits to Terry for work. Also, HD is nice for additional radio programming, but calling it audiophile quality sound would be stretching things a bit.
bradleyc,

Your signature shows you have both the MR88 and MR85. In your opinion, is there that much difference reception wise and sonically between the two? I know jdandy had one and sold it keeping his MR85. That was due to the amount of stations in his area as I recall.
~Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
If you already own some of the best tuners ever built, why not buy the MA7000 and have the best of all worlds?
Definitely a question I keep asking myself. That and what happens 6, 8, 10 years from now if the MA6600 EEPROM control fries in the MA6600? Will the MA6600 be like MS300 which has no support after 9 years?

And, will I be able to connect all five tuners at once to the MA7000?

Just checked and the answer is that with a set of RCA-to-XLR adapters will be able to do so. The MA6600 has five sets of single-ended inputs with one set of XLRs while the MA7000 has two sets of XLR and four single-ended. Both would work.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 10-19-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 PM

MA7000 have a better pre than MA6600.
A MA7000 have A bit better pre than the MA6600, it is more like the C46.
and the power seems more than 250w,i would say near 300w
Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 PM
McKlipschead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
bradleyc,

Your signature shows you have both the MR88 and MR85. In your opinion, is there that much difference reception wise and sonically between the two? I know jdandy had one and sold it keeping his MR85. That was due to the amount of stations in his area as I recall.
~Mike
mgard... Just received a new C500C/T and MR88 today from my dealer, and have been listening for a couple hours. This pre/tuner combo sounds very smoothe and relaxed right out of the boxes. It's too soon to compare with MR85 since I've only heard that tuner with C46 and RC-1082 pre-amps. When I spoke with McIntosh on the phone a couple months ago, they gave me the impression that the MR88 FM section was not much better than the MR85, but we shall see HD radio sounds pretty darn good for MP1 broadcasts. The classical HD1 broadcast from 40 miles north of here comes in crystal clear with good bass, nice highs, not tinny at all, and zero drifting and hiss

Last edited by bradleyc; 10-19-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 PM

I have try both amps at my home setup and in the end I decided to purchase MA7000. In my opinion, MA7000 gives a better control over low, mid and high and for pop music lover, this amp gives deeper bass and faster sounding as compared to MA6600. Also MA7000 has less digital component that requires firmware update which is definetely a plus point.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=bradleyc;113933]mgard... Just received a new C500C/T and MR88 today from my dealer, and have been listening for a couple hours. /QUOTE]

Congratulations on your upgrade. That is some beautiful equipment. Please keep us posted on your impressions. I would like to some day get another McIntosh turner that I can operate from my C2300 remote.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM

I am very pleased with my MA6600. Plenty of power and I really enjoy the digital volume control and digital read-out of all pre-amp funtions. The T2 HD tuner is excellent and out-performs my MR74 tuner which I put in storage.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Retired

Am pretty much settled on the MA6600 with TM2 module. Just hoping it doesn't sound like the MA6900 or MA2275 when I get it in my set-up at home.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag