Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
sakso136... Welcome to AA!

Hi there! Thks
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
Get a Devialet 220 and run it with roon - you will upgrade everything all at once - streamer, dac, amp. It's scary how good it really is if you do an a to b, side to side comparison with other things for more money.
I already own a Devialet that I use with my Sabrina system. Outside of the streaming pain, I love the device & sound.

however, for my Yvette system, I want separates for future upgrades and flexibility.
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Thank you all for the feedback!

I went to the dealer last weekend to look at the progression mono amps. While they sound awesome, there were way bigger than I expected and I don't like the bulky nature of the amps.

I am going to wait to see if I can find a used Momentum Stereo or end up getting the Linn Klimax Mono amps. The size and looks of those fit in to our living space much better!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Get a Devialet 220 and run it with roon - you will upgrade everything all at once - streamer, dac, amp. It's scary how good it really is if you do an a to b, side to side comparison with other things for more money.
Meh, there are better options. Plus it's a constant struggle to get stability out of Devialet's streaming.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:34 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfaulkner View Post
Thank you all for the feedback!

I went to the dealer last weekend to look at the progression mono amps. While they sound awesome, there were way bigger than I expected and I don't like the bulky nature of the amps.

I am going to wait to see if I can find a used Momentum Stereo or end up getting the Linn Klimax Mono amps. The size and looks of those fit in to our living space much better!

They are monsters in size and in sound...but I get the challenge of the size and ended up Momentum as well
Old 02-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
They are monsters in size and in sound...but I get the challenge of the size and ended up Momentum as well

Same here - wait for the Momentum, you won’t regret it.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Default New Amp vs New Source for my Wilson Yvettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfaulkner View Post
Hey All!

I am curious on people's opinion, here is my larger system:

Auralic Aries Mini (Streaming)

Classe Sigma SSP (DAC/Pre)

Classe CA-2300 (Amp)

Wilson Yvettes

I am thinking to make a big upgrade on either my Amp or the DAC. My current narrowed down choices are:

A good deal on D'Agostino Progression Monos

Either Linn Klimax Catalyst DS (or DSM) or DCS Rossini

Based on your thoughts, which would should I consider sooner rather than later?

Alan

Alan

How are you currently using the Auralic? I assume you are running a server program on your network and using the Auralic app to stream your files and tidal? Do you have a lot of high Rez material or mainly 16/44. Also do you have any interest in DSD or Roon. I am also guessing you are running either USB or coax out of Auralic to you sigma pre and it is serving as the DAC.

The Wolfson DACs in the Sigma pre are not bad at all and the analog portion of the preamp is very similar to the CP800. Which I think you used to own. The CP800 has a better DAC section. But both are limited to 24/192 and no DSD. Both of the digital options you mention would move your preamp to analog only mode but I believe only the Rossini gives you DSD and Roon. With the Linn DSM and if you use the Rossini volume you actually also have no need for the preamp

I agree with the get a better amp first camp. The D’ag S250 is great. I have one and three of the M400s. If interested in used then I also recommend the Ayre VXR or MXR monos in the twenty version. that was my old amp set up prior to the D’ag and I still have them.

I believe you are coming over on 22nd to listen and I have both the sigma pre and CP800 in different systems and I have the Rossini paired with the VXR and Alida in the study. You can also hear the M400s with Alexia V2 and the Vivaldi

Not sure I can swap around in the systems for the event but I bet the sigma pre with the D’ags would sound better than throwing the Vivaldi into the sigma pre system. Get a great amp for your speakers and then figure out your digital needs and while you decide you will still be enjoying great sound

I will say that while I personally don’t think the Classé is a bad amp. Both the Ayre and D’ag. Are big step ups although they also cost a lot more

My point is while there are real gains out there....your system as is will provide enjoyment

Last edited by enatai252; 02-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Easy and complete? Yes.

Scary in a side by side? Not so much.

As always, ymmv.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
Alan

How are you currently using the Auralic? I assume you are running a server program on your network and using the Auralic app to stream your files and tidal? Do you have a lot of high Rez material or mainly 16/44. Also do you have any interest in DSD or Roon. I am also guessing you are running either USB or coax out of Auralic to you sigma pre and it is serving as the DAC.

The Wolfson DACs in the Sigma pre are not bad at all and the analog portion of the preamp is very similar to the CP800. Which I think you used to own. The CP800 has a better DAC section. But both are limited to 24/192 and no DSD. Both of the digital options you mention would move your preamp to analog only mode but I believe only the Rossini gives you DSD and Roon. With the Linn DSM and if you use the Rossini volume you actually also have no need for the preamp

I agree with the get a better amp first camp. The D’ag S250 is great. I have one and three of the M400s. If interested in used then I also recommend the Ayre VXR or MXR monos in the twenty version. that was my old amp set up prior to the D’ag and I still have them.

I believe you are coming over on 22nd to listen and I have both the sigma pre and CP800 in different systems and I have the Rossini paired with the VXR and Alida in the study. You can also hear the M400s with Alexia V2 and the Vivaldi

Not sure I can swap around in the systems for the event but I bet the sigma pre with the D’ags would sound better than throwing the Vivaldi into the sigma pre system. Get a great amp for your speakers and then figure out your digital needs and while you decide you will still be enjoying great sound

I will say that while I personally don’t think the Classé is a bad amp. Both the Ayre and D’ag. Are big step ups although they also cost a lot more

My point is while there are real gains out there....your system as is will provide enjoyment
Thanks for the detailed response. I am looking forward to the listening session!

Today, I use the auralic aries mini to feed the sigma ssp via coax. I stream via roon on a Mac mini.

I don't have any dsd and probably never will...I used to download hi res albums but lately I found it's much cheaper to buy the CDs on Amazon and burn them. They still sound amazing and I save about 5-10 dollars per CD!

I also would will not have analog/vinyl for a long while. I have a extremely curious 2.5 year old and another one due in July...toddlers, babies and small sensitive mechanical parts don't mix!

Surprisingly, I put a hold on a momentum stereo s250 bstock today at definitive. My wife and i earmarked some money from a rental property for some upgrades... It is closing on Wednesday so if all goes well I will put in the order! Fingers crossed!

I also went ahead and pulled the trigger on a used Linn klimax ds that was upgraded to katalyst...I should be getting that Tuesday or Wednesday! They don't have roon yet but I don't use tidal so I am not married to using roon...I also know that linn should be adding it at some point.

I have loved the classe gear though and agree, I smile on every listen! I am looking forward to not having that bulky classe amp though. It's an eye sore!