AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 AM
Blown & Injected

FWIW, I worked for a large audio manufacturer for a decade. We exhibited at CES in the North Hall. The concrete alone was $300k before the first union worker showed up to set up. I left in 2008. It's ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 AM

I want to know why B&W didn't exhibit at RMAF.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:21 PM

As others have stated, CES isn’t about high end audio. A dealer attending a show in the US has to contend with high union costs to have their gear moved around. The big show is now in Munich. Rocky Mountain seems to be the show of choice in the US. It’s all about economy these days. Are you going to take enough business away in order to justify showing up.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msegal View Post
I would not be surprised to see hi-end Audio return to CEDIA in the future when it is again in vogue. I do hope that dedicated home audio will once again be a regular consumer product.
I agree. If there is to be a viable industry show in the US, this is a more than suitable context.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Very disappointing indeed. I am at CES and was looking forward to visiting a few high-end audio brands only to discover there are none here this year.
The most exciting thing that happened to me here was the sudden blackout yesterday :-)

I guess that I will have to settle for home automation, drones and VR headsets for now...
Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 PM

I attended the Capital Audiofest this year and was surprised at how many major brands were not exhibiting at that show.

Back in the late 70's early 80's I worked for two high-end audio shops in DC. We exhibited at the shows of the time and I never found them to be worthwhile, from the dealer's standpoint. It really didn't generate any additional business that I could detect.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
VTL may be using Wilson speakers but from what I heard Wilson is not there. Maybe Bill can clarify.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 PM

The costs of these shows eventually gets passed on to the consumer by the manufacturer. Imagine what hi-end equipment pricing would be then.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
VTL may be using Wilson speakers but from what I heard Wilson is not there. Maybe Bill can clarify.
Hi Jim,

Wilson is not displaying at CES. VTL has Duette 2 and Musical Surroundings has Sabrinas on display. But this is not unusual. Though we closely support fellow exhibitors using our products, we have not officially been "active" at CES in many years.

Jim, I know you clearly recognize why some might not participate. As for others' questions on how so many vital manufacturers could possibly miss CES, let me give you my personal opinion.

<Getting on my soapbox> I have been attending CES since Summer 1976. CES was a Trade Show not a consumer show. It was a place for business meetings with dealers and distributors and to a lesser degree, meetings with press. There were other peripheral advantages that came along to add value. Even with unions and high costs, this insured a high ROI for exhibiting manufacturers. When CES no longer delivers on these basic tenets for high end audio, it deserves to die. ROI for high end began falling within a couple of years of opening the floodgates to the public (wink, wink, nod, nod). Yes, I do the math. <Getting off my soapbox>

As always, ymmv.

Bill