AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 09-20-2020, 03:44 PM

Carl, fantastic. Agree with all your choices and logic. When you get it all hooked up and trimmed out, try the new Bob Dylan Album. The sonics are fantastic and the lyrics better than the sonics. The old Krell is the best. So glad you found the gear you need.

Best

Charles

p.s photography beautiful. Most don't appreciate how beautiful the old Krell is. And it sounds better than it looks.

Last edited by Charles; 09-21-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Carl, fantastic. Agree with all your choices and logic. When you get it all hooked up and trimmed out, try the new Bob Dylan Album. The sonics are fantastic and the lyrics better than the sonics. The old Krell is the best. So glad you found the gear you need.

Best

Charles

p.s photography beautiful. Most don't appreciate how beautiful the old Krell is. And it sounds better than it looks.
Thanks Charles.
There are som other Krell fpb amps that would work well as well, but these will probably do the job.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:18 PM

2 years ago I agreed to update one of my R2R. The famous Swedish studio "Svenska Grammofon Studion" started a project to rebuild Studer B67 to be like new, mechanically och electrically and to get new hi-class wooden parts to make them a bit more exciting to look at.
What was clear was that to do this quite big renovation there had to be a kind of effective assembley line to save some time for each unit.The Idea is to get the B67 sound very well and be reliable for a long time.

They will be ready quite soon, but I share some photos.

The head stacks are renovated in Florida.

Teak.

Original Studer VU were mounted.

Some other pics.

Mine is in the front to the left

In a few weeks they will be ready.

Hammond...

Some guitars

Tried the Steinway a few notes and chord...

It's like a race car compared to a normal car. The sound is amazing. Not even R2R can get close to the real thing. Two different worlds. The Idea of comparing live instruments and HiFi can just end in a bad way.

Last edited by Apexorca; 10-19-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:45 PM

Carl, beautiful pics. Years ago my father owned a Tandberg 64X tape deck. We kept it for many years and it worked flawlessly. It was able to make recordings of vinyl records indistinguishable from the original. It's mechanical operation was flawless. It was relatively small, an absolute classic.

Many folks that don't go back that far don't realize that IMO tape was a superior medium than vinyl. A good deck like a 64X had no audible tape hiss, period. We had many prerecorded tapes. As a kid my ears liked tape much better than vinyl. Later on I owned a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck for many years. It as I remember had the auto azimuth adjustment and made essentially perfect recordings. My preference for tape as an ultimate recording medium soured me towards vinyl, which I never liked anyway because I thought and still think vinyl has inadequate bass. With a good deck tape hiss is never an issue. For me tape has all the good of vinyl with none of the drawbacks and I think it greatly superior to vinyl, actually.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about the finished Studer you are working on. I am sure the sound will be worth the effort. I wish I could hear a Tandberg 64X again.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Carl, beautiful pics. Years ago my father owned a Tandberg 64X tape deck. We kept it for many years and it worked flawlessly. It was able to make recordings of vinyl records indistinguishable from the original. It's mechanical operation was flawless. It was relatively small, an absolute classic.

Many folks that don't go back that far don't realize that IMO tape was a superior medium than vinyl. A good deck like a 64X had no audible tape hiss, period. We had many prerecorded tapes. As a kid my ears liked tape much better than vinyl. Later on I owned a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck for many years. It as I remember had the auto azimuth adjustment and made essentially perfect recordings. My preference for tape as an ultimate recording medium soured me towards vinyl, which I never liked anyway because I thought and still think vinyl has inadequate bass. With a good deck tape hiss is never an issue. For me tape has all the good of vinyl with none of the drawbacks and I think it greatly superior to vinyl, actually.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about the finished Studer you are working on. I am sure the sound will be worth the effort. I wish I could hear a Tandberg 64X again.

Best

Charles
Thanks for sharing your memories.
Good master tape copies from good recordings are the very best source there is, I think. I'v had the opportunity to compare high class recordings from master tape vs high resolution digital master in a High-End studio. The same high class recording technique but stored in a different media. This may be a matter of taste. For me there are something musically more appealing with analogue tape masters.

Quote: "I thought and still think vinyl has inadequate bass"

Of course one could argue for that. Often it's true. Poor and lean turntables set ups are like that. There are cures. Better vinyl set ups.
So, I'll challange you about it.
I'v heard many good vinyl set ups that can make your house shake and fall apart due to vinyl sound. But you have to choose one of the great turntables, good arm and a full range pickup. Thera are some. I can show you.
Maybe, you have to came to Sweden to experience that?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Thanks for sharing your memories.
Good master tape copies from good recordings are the very best source there is, I think. I'v had the opportunity to compare high class recordings from master tape vs high resolution digital master in a High-End studio. The same high class recording technique but stored in a different media. This may be a matter of taste. For me there are something musically more appealing with analogue tape masters.

Quote: "I thought and still think vinyl has inadequate bass"

Of course one could argue for that. Often it's true. Poor and lean turntables set ups are like that. There are cures. Better vinyl set ups.
So, I'll challange you about it.
I'v heard many good vinyl set ups that can make your house shake and fall apart due to vinyl sound. But you have to choose one of the great turntables, good arm and a full range pickup. Thera are some. I can show you.
Maybe, you have to came to Sweden to experience that?
I totally agree about the analog masters. It's the best. I would really enjoy hearing your system and meeting you. My wife is in poor heath and of course I want her to live "forever". We are both physicians. She was a renowned Ophthalmologist. The American Board of Ophthalmology flew her around the USA for her to administer the oral boards in refraction and external disease. She has fallen into ill health. This makes travel impossible for me. But in the upcoming years we will see. I would enjoy seeing the old Krell and listening to your Studer through your Fenice tremendously.

Regarding vinyl, I just don't like it for multiple reasons. It's just too much trouble but so are tubes for me. I have no doubt that today's vinyl is superb if you want to spend the money, but I'll take the "tape" over it any day. You take a really good deck like your Studer. While expensive you don't have to worry about acoustic feedback and a myriad of other issues as you do with vinyl, like record care, cleaning the stylus, record storage, handling the record. But for those who are into vinyl, I say have at it and enjoy to the fullest. I got my full dose of vinyl and all it's "joys" for 20 years and was extremely happy to leave it behind.

Best

Charles

One thing I will say, vinyl is incapable of reproducing the very lowest frequencies with the same fidelity as digital or tape. Tape can compete with digital at the lowest frequencies. Vinyl cannot.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My wife is in poor heath .
I'm truly sorry to hear that. I know some things about it from my own experience. My wife struggles with cancer.
/Carl
Old 10-21-2020, 03:24 PM
Life is beautiful

Carl, Charles, I wish you strength!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
I'm truly sorry to hear that. I know some things about it from my own experience. My wife struggles with cancer.
/Carl
Carl, I too am sad in my heart to hear of this. My wife has end stage renal disease and many other health problems. Her gait is unsteady and she recently had a bad fall. We spent 10 hours in a local ER. Sounds like a long experience but the service was excellent. We got home at 3 am. I thought we were goners because the films (MR of hip, knee, and pelvis) showed probable/possible hip fracture and femoral fracture but she has made a miraculous recovery. No pain and walking normally. We all need those miracles. I pray for your wife that she receives her miracle and is cured of her cancer.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-22-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Carl, I too am sad in my heart to hear of this. My wife has end stage renal disease and many other health problems. Her gait is unsteady and she recently had a bad fall. We spent 10 hours in a local ER. Sounds like a long experience but the service was excellent. We got home at 3 am. I thought we were goners because the films (MR of hip, knee, and pelvis) showed probable/possible hip fracture and femoral fracture but she has made a miraculous recovery. No pain and walking normally. We all need those miracles. I pray for your wife that she receives her miracle and is cured of her cancer.

Charles
Thank you. I'm not a man that really believe in miracles, but my wife have had an unusual recovery.

I'm so sorry about what you are going through. It makes me sad. I hope for the best for both of you in this difficult times.

Since I write a little about my wife..
Around 15 years ago when me and my wife were 32 with 2 small kids 2 and 4 years old, a new house witch we renovated, I just started my business and it was a lot of things going on. Maybe to much. On top of that she got breast cancer. It was a hard time. I looked a bit tired on pictures from that time.
She had a lot of different and difficult therapies and medications and 5 years later she got the cancer back. They gave her 3 years to live with that kind of diagnosis. New treatments and so on. This second time was even harder and it was hard to plan for the future. We had many long term plans for the future together.
She gets some side effects from the treatments, but she is mentally and physically strong and cope with the treatment very well. We decided to try to live as normal as it was possible. But it never leaves my mind. It's lika a new mental ground that never can be ignored ore displaced. It's a new way of living and a new way of dealing with life. 3 years later the metastases have shrank and no new metastases is found. Very unusual. We gain som hope. The senior physician has just experienced one patient like my wife and she lived 10 years. My wife passed 10 years survival some years ago.
She is in constant medication and examinations and it makes her body hurts, but there are no new metastases and they are not getting bigger!!! The physicians says that it's a more chronic state.
My wife works as a dentist as much her body endure. It's about 50%.
She is a winner and does everything in her control to beat this. Some things are not possible to control, but the things she can do and control to beat this cancer, she is doing 100%. I think at least some part of here status today is due to that. Exercise, rest, thinking about what to eat and having fun. Trying to have a healthy life stile without overdo it.

Now, this is our life. The only life we got. I never get rid of the tension of it all but I can cope with it. We start to think that we can grow old together.
All this have made me humble about life. At least it's a different kind of humble before and after this shit.
I take nothing for granted. I don't try to plan to many years ahead. We do things together that we want to do and we don't wait for it. Of course in a balanced way I think.

So right now we are good and we are enjoying the present. Right now it's a cup of Espresso and Art Taylor - A.T's Delight through The Sonus faber. Autumn sunlight through the windows, colorful trees and clear crispy air.

/Carl