AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Good for you!

Like Marc said they were pretty awesome in person, and I’m sure they sound over the top amazing.

I feel optimistic there’s ways to address any concerns with height or sound.

Look forward to seeing them in place.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:39 PM
Go Dawgs

I’m not sure if there is some sarcasm going on here or not.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
It’s always the “kiss of death” when an audiophile breaks out the tape measure.
The measurements are important because once we set the woofer bins we want to make as sure as possible that we don't have to move the speaker after it is built out. This is where experience with my room becomes important. The sweet spot in my room is where my Alexx sets. it will be easier to re-position my sofa for the fine tuning to my ears. I want to maintain the relationship of the speaker to my corners as with the Alexx. This is so for example the sax's with Kinda Blue arise out of the corners behind the xvx, i.e. maintain max stereo separation in the room. I think it unwise to begin with a clean sheet of paper. My zone of neutrality has been determined long ago. I want the tweeters aimed directly at my ears. Some minor adjustment of my sofa may be necessary in the end. I don't know. I don't see 9" closer to my ceiling making much difference. I think the mat not inferior to the spike on the hardwood. I'm going for it. No looking back.

And thank you all for your sage comments. I really mean this. Yes, I am worried about my stairs but I don't think the woofer bins much heavier than my Thor. Also, at 685 lbs the xvx is less than 250 lbs heavier than my Alexx. The floor shows no sign of distress. I asked my dealer about this. He voiced zero concern. The floor is supported by 40 Lowes wooden i-beams all with stiffeners. The room is 40 feet long and maybe 25 feet wide. I saw them (the stiffeners) going in. That's one i-beam per foot. Let's hope 233 more pounds per side won't bring down the floor and the woofer bins to be not appreciably heavier than my Thor which is 411 lbs.

I will take extensive pics. I mean extensive.

Last edited by Charles; 10-31-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 AM

If you have one support beam per foot it is extremely unlikely you will have any issue with that small uplift in weight. Do you have cross-bracing as well? When I had a very large and very heavy hybrid 7.1 home theater and 2channel combination system with full range speakers all around, subs and powered by Edge NL 12.1s and custom G8s all around with all the extra processors, preamp, power conditioners, etc...in short as much weight or more than you are summing up to I found cross-bracing and extra support beams in combination under sub floor did the trick...
Old 11-01-2019, 12:48 PM

I appreciate the comment on the weight greatly. Well, the xvx order just got closer to a reality. Once the check is passed there's no going back.

Here are the figures made by the owner and his top assistant: 6" minimum speaker clearance from ceiling.

Over rear tweeter 8" minimum clearance and probably 10-12" maximum clearance.

Between the main tweeters 96" or 8' of stereo separation as opposed to 9' with the Alexx.

The xvx will set on a mat.

My listening distance is approximately 138" or 11.5'. Ear height 37.5".

The only variable left is the true height of the xvx which is variable. Wilson will be supplied with all this data and pics have been taken of the room. They must supply an accurate height of an unspiked xvx built to my ears and listening distance. The above measurements are based on an xvx height of 74". Specified height by Wilson is 73,5/8". My financial adviser will inform me this afternoon if I can afford this without placing my family in financial jeopardy.

The owner has truly extensive experience and absolutely believes the xvx will fit and operate properly in my room.

Overall, this purchase makes a lot of sense to me. Is there anybody and I mean anybody that remotely thinks I'll ever consider another speaker coming after my xvx? If there is, then you will consider me to be insane which I am not.

So this will truly be closure for me, albeit a very expensive one, of a long high end career. After this installation, I am going to sit back and enjoy my music.

p.s. the owner will come out and supervise the entire installation and of course the whole dealership will come along with him. I've got an errand to run, then I'm going to walk about 5 miles to blow off steam, get good an tired in the legs. I'm listening to Beethoven's 5th through my Alexx which is my victory symphony as I pen this note.

Last edited by Charles; 11-01-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:01 PM

Got to go, but financial adviser called been on phone for over an hour. I can buy an XVX!!!!
Old 11-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Got to go, but financial adviser called been on phone for over an hour. I can buy an XVX!!!!

Wow, you are the third and possibly fourth person I know who has committed to the XVX besides dealers. Way to go Charles.

Last edited by Still-One; 11-01-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Old 11-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Huh, missing Definitive audio in Bellevue, 11/13 and 14th.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

So it’s confirmed?