AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 PM

Default New Thor's Hammer Installed

The installation went well. This is one heavy subwoofer. It looks so much better with the XVX than the older Thor. When I post pics you will see what I mean. The install occurred yesterday morning and took about 2.5 hours.

It's pretty amazing the difference between the old Thor and the new Thor. Without question the whole frequency range has more clarity. I don't really understand how this is possible and I had been using the new crossover for weeks so it's not the crossover. If you have never had a sub you will discover that a sub makes a very audible improvement to the entire frequency range, if integrated properly the main system.

Next, the 20, 25, and 31.5 tones on the Wilson subwoofer CD are noticeably improved. I have some organ music that has very soft 18-25 Hz tones. The new Thor did a significantly improved job of producing these notes. On regular music I can notice an improved mid and upper bass. It will be weeks before I can fully evaluate all the improvements.

I have been extremely busy with my "Science Project", getting the house open for the summer, etc. Also recently purchased two new vehicles. No better time to purchase a vehicle than right now, IMO. I will be getting pics up over the weekend. I am listening to Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash sing duets. It's very pleasing to hear the improvement in the bass and the remarkable increase in clarity of the entire frequency range.

Buying this new Thor's Hammer will be one of the best decisions I have ever made regarding a high end audio purchase.

I hope everyone has a safe and tremendous Memorial Day weekend.

Best

Charles

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 05-24-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:51 PM

Charles
Looking forward to the pictures and additional comments as you get more hours of listening in.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:10 PM

This furthers validates my theory that no matter what speakers one owns, every speaker benefits by adding a dedicated subwoofer(s).

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 05-22-2020, 07:51 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
This furthers validates my theory that no matter what speakers one owns, every speaker benefits by adding a dedicated subwoofer(s).

I am not so sure of that but I can only imagine what Charles’ room sounds like.

The sub is driven by an MC1.25k and is like 92/3 dB sensitive. That is an over the top amp on an over the top subwoofer mated with an over the top pair of speakers. Whew!!
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-23-2020, 12:49 PM

Thanks to all. I may have to post the pics without proper orientation if I'm going to get them up this weekend. I felt all along the old Thor was holding back the XVX from truly singing.

I was correct. I feel like I'm hearing the XVX almost for the first time. I honestly cannot hear the Thor anymore. The bass is seamless. The clarity of the midrange and treble are significantly improved even when the Thor is at .012 watt on the Mac.

My source at Wilson taught me how to use and understand the phase control to correctly phase my system. I read a tip on page 136 second paragraph of TAS issue 298 October 2019 that is the best subwoofer tip I have ever read.

When I get the pics posted Ill try to explain.

Best

Charles
Old 05-24-2020, 12:07 AM

Utmost impressive system, yet getting more a step above. I'm curious, did the drivers
of Thor change of do you think it was just the crossover improvement? Or was it two-
fold - both crossover and Thor improved to you previous setup?
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Utmost impressive system, yet getting more a step above. I'm curious, did the drivers
of Thor change of do you think it was just the crossover improvement? Or was it two-
fold - both crossover and Thor improved to you previous setup?
I think it was the age of the old Thor. It was about 10 years old and I put it through a lot. It was under powered for a long time, using a Mac 601 mono amp. It definitely needs the 1.25 KW. It was one of the first made. I am assuming Wilson is using their current generation X-material in the new one. The difference is not subtle. I think speakers age and I wanted a system that will grow old together. This speaker system is my last one. While I will certainly reserve the right to upgrade my sources and amps as Mac introduces new gear, the Audioquest and Wilson will remain unchanged.

Here is the subwoofer tip: Using a Wilson subwoofer test CD and playing a 50, 40, 31.5 tone discover the phase setting that maximizes the bass. For my system it was the continuous 40 Hz tone. At 0 the bass is maximum. At 180 the bass is minimum. The phase doesn't seem to have any affect on the rest of the tones but has a marked affect on my 40 Hz tone.

I have in my system a peak of about 4-5 dB at 40 Hz on a pure tone. It has been present in every system I have had. By adjusting the phase to 90 this peak goes away leaving the rest of my frequency range untouched. It is noticeable and provides that final touch of integration of the Thor into my system.

Greg Weaver of TAS first clued me in on this possibility in his article on the VSA Ultra 9 loudspeaker on page 136 second paragraph of October Issue 298. It's the best subwoofer tip I have ever read.

It works for me in my room. It may not work in yours.

For those of you that are audio purists like me, a subwoofer is deep treacherous water. It is extremely difficult to get a sub integrated into a system without the use of an equalizer and an equalizer can be heard and degrades the audio signal. I would never consider using an active HP crossover or equalizer for this reason. However, using the phase control you can have your cake and eat it too. But it may not work for you as it has for Greg Weaver and me.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 05-25-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I am not so sure of that but I can only imagine what Charles’ room sounds like.

The sub is driven by an MC1.25k and is like 92/3 dB sensitive. That is an over the top amp on an over the top subwoofer mated with an over the top pair of speakers. Whew!!
I'm sure that Charles is right on this, and I'll come from the other end of the price spectrum. While doing a one week demo of a pair of Sabrinas, my sound got a night and day improvement from a $700 REL T5. (Almost insulting to the Wilsons to pair with such a modest unit, isn't it?)

The thing to remember about subs is that it's not just the drums they're improving. They provide a foundation for every other instrument, and the added amp takes a huge load of the main amp.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:55 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I'm sure that Charles is right on this, and I'll come from the other end of the price spectrum. While doing a one week demo of a pair of Sabrinas, my sound got a night and day improvement from a $700 REL T5. (Almost insulting to the Wilsons to pair with such a modest unit, isn't it?)

The thing to remember about subs is that it's not just the drums they're improving. They provide a foundation for every other instrument, and the added amp takes a huge load of the main amp.

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-23-2020, 03:03 AM

When do you add the second for a stereo pair?