AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
There are a multitude of reasons why we own the speakers we do. There are a lot of speakers that I wouldn't own and a number that I might. I would never tell someone not to buy something because I didn't think it was designed incorrectly. The end result is what counts.
True.
But my reservation was more of the inflicting question raised in this thread posted by op (twice), he should be aware that such would usually stir havoc from both camps and usually ends up messy.
At least if intent is genuine with at least his system's photo to show perhaps then we are on to something. And reply/questions such as that from Tima to follow makes sense.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
True.
But my reservation was more of the inflicting question raised in this thread posted by op (twice), he should be aware that such would usually stir havoc from both camps and usually ends up messy.
At least if intent is genuine with at least his system's photo to show perhaps then we are on to something. And reply/questions such as that from Tima to follow makes sense.
I think if you look at the posts in this thread you can tell which post(er) I was alluding to. I have no issues with the OP or any of the other responses.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM

S1chen,

Sounds like this thread could / is getting off track quickly. Alexia's are great speakers, so are Magicos. I'm an extremely pleased Magico S5 owner that came from Wilson (W/P8's). Before buying S5's, I first auditioned Maxx3, Alexia, and Sasha. Of the three, I preferred the mid-range and high's of the Alexia but thought all three were very good (no surprise). I then auditioned the Magicos (S5 and Q3). Like most, I found the Q3 to be the more resolute speaker. Unlike a lot of audiophile hyperbole though, I found the difference, to my ears (YMMV), to be reasonably slight rather than marked, as is sometimes proffered.

Both Q3 and S5 are amazing offerings that, to me, were vastly more transparent than anything I had heard to that point. Long story short, and in my opinion of course, even at ~$30K for the S5's or ~$40K for the Q3's, the Magicos represent quite reasonable value in the crazy statement-priced ultra-speaker game. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Best thing would be to bring an open mind and some music you're quite familiar with to a local Magico dealer and compare vs. your Alexia's. You're obviously in good shape either way.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I think if you look at the posts in this thread you can tell which post(er) I was alluding to. I have no issues with the OP or any of the other responses.
Fully aware.
That's why when I first saw the question posed. First thing that came to mind was.. 'Oh my, soon to be another unnecessary train wreck here!'

So intent of Op needs to be questioned first before even thinking whether it's worthwhile to move on with debate and fighting it out over and over and over again.

*Especially since Op is already an Alexia owner and has also heard the Q3 himself...

Last edited by bvdiman; 11-20-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Smile

My last speaker was the Sasha. When I auditioned the S5 at the dealer's I felt that it My last speaker was the Sasha. When I auditioned the S5 at the dealer's I felt that it beats the Sasha on practically all technical aspects. To make sure I would also love the sound, I actually bought the S5 before selling the Sasha so that I can compare the 2 directly in my environment. I finally let go the latter. That was last November and the Alexia was not available for my audition. As I have used Wilson's speaker for long and still respect the line, I have been taking whatever opportunities I came across to listen to the Alexia. I listened to it in the 2013 AV show (Hong Kong) and at friend’s home. Last month I made an appointment to audition at the dealer's. I think the Alexia has improved upon the Sasha substantially. It is now more coherent and the highs are more smooth. However, I am still not convinced to make any change yet.
When I bought the S5, I also listened to the Q3 at the same time. I felt the Q3 was slightly more transparent while the S5 had a slightly more relaxed presentation. I finally went for the S5, possibly because going for the Q3 was too big a jump from where I was. Subsequently, I listened again to the Q3 and the S5 again at the (new) Magico dealer's, this time driven by different electronics. The merits of the Q3 - transparency, silky smooth highs, .. shone through. I have been pondering the possibility of “upgrading” to the Q3. However, every time I listen to the wonderfully beautiful sound of the S5 at home, I really don’t feel any urgent push. If a bargain comes along, or a Q6 appears, I may consider then.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
My last speaker was the Sasha. When I auditioned the S5 at the dealer's I felt that it My last speaker was the Sasha. When I auditioned the S5 at the dealer's I felt that it beats the Sasha on practically all technical aspects. To make sure I would also love the sound, I actually bought the S5 before selling the Sasha so that I can compare the 2 directly in my environment. I finally let go the latter. That was last November and the Alexia was not available for my audition. As I have used Wilson's speaker for long and still respect the line, I have been taking whatever opportunities I came across to listen to the Alexia. I listened to it in the 2013 AV show (Hong Kong) and at friend’s home. Last month I made an appointment to audition at the dealer's. I think the Alexia has improved upon the Sasha substantially. It is now more coherent and the highs are more smooth. However, I am still not convinced to make any change yet.
When I bought the S5, I also listened to the Q3 at the same time. I felt the Q3 was slightly more transparent while the S5 had a slightly more relaxed presentation. I finally went for the S5, possibly because going for the Q3 was too big a jump from where I was. Subsequently, I listened again to the Q3 and the S5 again at the (new) Magico dealer's, this time driven by different electronics. The merits of the Q3 - transparency, silky smooth highs, .. shone through. I have been pondering the possibility of “upgrading” to the Q3. However, every time I listen to the wonderfully beautiful sound of the S5 at home, I really don’t feel any urgent push. If a bargain comes along, or a Q6 appears, I may consider then.
Hi Clee, with the caveat I haven't heard the Sasha's or actually owned Wilson speakers before, I heard the Alexias with Dag amps at the Melbourne Hifi show, and have heard both the Q3 and S5 on many occasions before buying my S5's, I completely agree with your comments which pretty much mirror my own experiences. The Q3's have a slight edge in transparency, smoothness and overall accuracy, but I too preferred the more relaxed presentation of the S5's and thought they had a wonderful balance and coherency. I couldn't be happier!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Fully aware.
That's why when I first saw the question posed. First thing that came to mind was.. 'Oh my, soon to be another unnecessary train wreck here!'

So intent of Op needs to be questioned first before even thinking whether it's worthwhile to move on with debate and fighting it out over and over and over again.

*Especially since Op is already an Alexia owner and has also heard the Q3 himself...
Bvdiman, just curious which Siltech cables you're using?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 AM

Seems clear to me that if the OP is inquiring about a competitor brand, it's because he's not entirely satifisfied with one or most aspects of his original speaker.

As such, I see no problem in pointing the advantages the Magico speakears have over Wilsons, specially since they're quite numerous.

S1chen, don't worry, Alexia is a downgrade from the cheapest Magico (S1). Going from the Alexia to the Q3 would be the biggest upgrade you'll ever do.

All of that is, of course, assuming your electronics is up to it. Once you raise the level of your speakers, your electronics have to go along with it. Wilsons, like Sonus fabers, and a few other brands, are more forgiving, so they give that impression of "everything's fine", while the Magico will clearly show problems upstream in your gear.

If you can, go for the Q3, and if price is an issue, the S5 would be already a huge step up from your Alexia.

alexandre
Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDesign View Post
S1chen,

Sounds like this thread could / is getting off track quickly. Alexia's are great speakers, so are Magicos. I'm an extremely pleased Magico S5 owner that came from Wilson (W/P8's). Before buying S5's, I first auditioned Maxx3, Alexia, and Sasha. Of the three, I preferred the mid-range and high's of the Alexia but thought all three were very good (no surprise). I then auditioned the Magicos (S5 and Q3). Like most, I found the Q3 to be the more resolute speaker. Unlike a lot of audiophile hyperbole though, I found the difference, to my ears (YMMV), to be reasonably slight rather than marked, as is sometimes proffered.

Both Q3 and S5 are amazing offerings that, to me, were vastly more transparent than anything I had heard to that point. Long story short, and in my opinion of course, even at ~$30K for the S5's or ~$40K for the Q3's, the Magicos represent quite reasonable value in the crazy statement-priced ultra-speaker game. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Best thing would be to bring an open mind and some music you're quite familiar with to a local Magico dealer and compare vs. your Alexia's. You're obviously in good shape either way.
Thanks for the reply and I have learn the Magico multiple of time and I do catch the nice character, but the dealer system is completely different from my setup and this would mean it can be a nightmare and i get the Q3 home blindly. the reason I ask from the floor is to heard one that own both of this speakers or at least shortlisted both and end up with one of them.

Note that Wilson have change their sound character after the Alexandra XLF and the Alexia from their chassic sound. And Magico Q3 and Q5 each have their character. So I have hoping to find one owner that have the same dilemma like me when he come across these 2 speakers and share his view.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
Seems clear to me that if the OP is inquiring about a competitor brand, it's because he's not entirely satifisfied with one or most aspects of his original speaker.

As such, I see no problem in pointing the advantages the Magico speakears have over Wilsons, specially since they're quite numerous.

S1chen, don't worry, Alexia is a downgrade from the cheapest Magico (S1). Going from the Alexia to the Q3 would be the biggest upgrade you'll ever do.

All of that is, of course, assuming your electronics is up to it. Once you raise the level of your speakers, your electronics have to go along with it. Wilsons, like Sonus fabers, and a few other brands, are more forgiving, so they give that impression of "everything's fine", while the Magico will clearly show problems upstream in your gear.

If you can, go for the Q3, and if price is an issue, the S5 would be already a huge step up from your Alexia.

alexandre
Thanks of your information. changing from Alexia to Q3 is easy for me. The dealer is more than happy to wheel in the Q3 and take away the Alexia with no price difference.