AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-22-2020, 09:00 PM

Just received a pre-owned unit, and unfortunately the power switch snapped off in transit. Does it matter what switch to replace it with? I'm not an expert at soldering but it looks like a straightforward job just with two leads? Thanks

And also does anyone know what the specs are for the case screws, one is slightly stripped, or better yet where to source them?

Last edited by ismelllikepoop; 06-22-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
I recall seeing a couple of amps on eBay about 6 months back that were advertised as 45/2a3 that were made by Dennis. Can't find the listing anymore but I don't recall if there was a switch to change tubes. Hopefully straiwire or Dennis can get back to you.

Conventional wisdom says there should be a switch given the different operating points, but Dennis is the wizard. My only thought knowing very little is that maybe it's biased slightly hot for a 45 and low for a 2a3? Wondering if yours might be in a similar boat.
I recall there being a switch on those amps.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=Simonatsea;1007425]Curious if anyone has tried the GEC KT8C with adaptors??? Apparently they are one of the best 6L6 replacements.

I looked at those tubes and it's hard to say how they would sound in your amp.
They are not inexpensive and you may be better off trying a nice pair of 6L6G's with a 5Y3 rectifier.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:10 AM

Dennis has given me the invitation to visit the "toy shop" mid July, so maybe we can maybe do an adjustment to a 45/2a3 there. I am enjoying the 45's like I've never enjoyed music before! Wonder how the 2a3 may be different? Would changing rectifiers make a difference in the bias?

Last edited by Updyke; 06-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
Just received a pre-owned unit, and unfortunately the power switch snapped off in transit. Does it matter what switch to replace it with? I'm not an expert at soldering but it looks like a straightforward job just with two leads? Thanks

And also does anyone know what the specs are for the case screws, one is slightly stripped, or better yet where to source them?
Any power switch with two leads and rated for at least 125V/2A should work. Typically they'll be rated for 250V/3A or so. The screws are button head either 6/32 or 4/40 like these. The proper hex wrench should fit them...

https://www.amazon.com/6-32-16-Butto.../dp/B07JFGZNXV
Old 06-23-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Any power switch with two leads and rated for at least 125V/2A should work. Typically they'll be rated for 250V/3A or so. The screws are button head either 6/32 or 4/40 like these. The proper hex wrench should fit them...

https://www.amazon.com/6-32-16-Butto.../dp/B07JFGZNXV
Thanks! Mouser had several thousand to choose from hah.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:17 AM

Can a 6sl7 be safely used in place of the 6sn7 with one of Dennis's amps, in particular the 45? I read that their gain is quite a bit higher than a 6sn7, and I don't want to adversely effect the EML 45 tubes.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:56 AM

The 45 amp is built and sent from Dennis with a 6SL7. So continue to use the SL if you're already doing that. It's more a question about using the SN in that position in that 45 amp.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Can a 6sl7 be safely used in place of the 6sn7 with one of Dennis's amps, in particular the 45? I read that their gain is quite a bit higher than a 6sn7, and I don't want to adversely effect the EML 45 tubes.

A humorous related story.

I was able to visit with Dennis, Straitwire and Analog Addict at the toy factory last Friday. We had a wonderful listening session doing the usual. Swapping amps, pre amps, tubes, speakers and stories for the better part of 5 hours. An absolute blast. For a good bit of the time we were running Dennis’s new 6V6er in which I have a matching amp here at home. We had started with a 6SL7 driver which was plugged in when we started. AA, SW and I suggested we swap in some 6SN7s in that we had each brought some for comparison. Dennis said sure though he had only used an SL. He asked if I had used a SN. Yes, and only an SN. We both laughed, rolled some 6SN7s concluding some WWII metal base Analog brought were best. Just beating out some Chinese new productions of Dennis’s, IMO. Dennis was quite pleased with the change, rushed to the back and comes back with a 6BX7. OH MAN what a combo. 6V6er with a 6BX7. I have yet to try any other driver since. I have some SNs to try, thanks to AA, but just been absolutely loving the BXs.

Anyway, knowing how Dennis builds his amps I would bet you are Ok with the change but to be sure I would suggest dropping him a line. Keep it brief. He gets many dozen+ emails a day and buried in a long diatribe may get yours purged. Give him a few days to get back. Remember, this is his retirement hobby.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:43 AM

Default 6bx7

I have just one 6BX7, a vintage RCA. Tried it as a substitute for the 6SN7 in my amp. It was terrible. So harsh and treble forward. Only had it in there for about 20 minutes. That is my complete, total experience in using a 6BX7.