AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 AM

Default Roon Labs-Sooloos music server on your mac or pc

The team that invented Sooloos now gives you that music software functionality on your mac or pc and integrates with your existing system ie where ever and however your music is already stored. Here is the link for the free trial https://roonlabs.com/trial.html
Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 AM

One interesting feature that I will get back to you on is that if you have music on more than one server or folder , this software will bring then together ie some music on macmini in itune and some music on MS750 now controlled by this app. as one library with the same features as sooloos plus tidal integration. Albums added by Tidal will have T next to them.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 AM

Computer Audiophile - Roon From Roon Labs - A Video Run-through
Old 06-18-2015, 08:54 AM

I tried Roon with my Sooloos files but gave up after a few days and went back to SooLoos. I can see where many, many people will really like Roon but this is not the way I select music I want to play. I don't care about linking artists and music and who played on what other albums, etc. If I don't see the promised improvements to Sooloos I may re-evalueate in the future but for now I will take the familiarity and ease of what I have.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I tried Roon with my Sooloos files but gave up after a few days and went back to SooLoos. I can see where many, many people will really like Roon but this is not the way I select music I want to play. I don't care about linking artists and music and who played on what other albums, etc. If I don't see the promised improvements to Sooloos I may re-evalueate in the future but for now I will take the familiarity and ease of what I have.
I agree.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 06-18-2015, 07:25 PM

Jim

I would like to hear more about your experience with Roon . I was under impression that it works simillar to sooloos in that these people developed that system as well. I have some music on a mac mini and some on my Mx750 and thought this looked like a slick way to integrate and control them with my laptop. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:52 PM

David
You are correct. Roon was developed by the same people who did Sooloos and as I indicated it many people will like it. My issues with how Roon works now probably will not affect how others will see it.
-If you want to have Roon handle Sooloos files (it does) I need to turn off my Sooloos Core because you cannot have two Cores running at the same time. To turn off my Sooloos Core requires running Meridian's Core Control which requires a Windows PC.
-I was able to run Roon but due to the above noted issue I could only output music via my MacBook Airs speakers.
-There are a few ways that both Roon and Sooloos can display music to make your choices for searching and listening. My default method has been displaying all my individual albums in alphabetical order. So for example if I want to select Mary Black all of her albums are on my iPad screen and I choose the one I want to add to the queue. Roon shows Mary Black as an artist and you have to first select her to show all of her albums.
-Roon does not "yet" have a iPad ap.
-Roon uses your meta data to sort what it has found on your servers or laptop. I had edited all of my many "soundtrack" albums under the artist "score". That way I just go to score and pick something to listen to. Roon somehow lost that info and displayed them with a different artist designation. If you used some other program such as dBpoweramp to import music you might not have an issue.
-I found creating a queue to play music was a bit more convoluted with Roon than Sooloos.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Thanks Jim, sounds complicated.

On another note I noticed you have a SME 20/3 , are you getting back into vinyl ?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Thanks Jim, sounds complicated. On another note I noticed you have a SME 20/3 , are you getting back into vinyl ?
I play vinyl for a couple of hours maybe every three months.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:00 AM

I moved to Roon a few weeks ago.

The lack of the iOS app is annoying, but it does sound like it's due by the end of July.
For the server, I just use my desktop PC. That has more than ample horsepower and clearly there's no issues with stuffing new and very large HDDs in.

Functionality is similar to Sooloos, but if anything is improved.

Sound quality, well personally I can't tell the difference.

Key benefit is that I got to ditch the MC200 Meridian core, which is basically money that I can (and already have) fed back into improving other areas of my system.