AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 11-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Life is beautiful

Default 2017 Brussels - New Music Hifi Show

Yesterday was fun!
Not only I could enjoy and experience a lot of nice toys, I could do it in the most agreeable company of a fellow AA member, Jacques, aka Jem666.
We had already met before, a couple of times with our spouses.
My wife and loyal photographer is following an intense course, and couldn't attend.

What was really pleasant and a bit surprising: our top 3 of the systems was exactly the same!
The show was not the biggest, but there were a couple of very good systems.
No uberexpensive set-ups this year, only a few in the 150-300K range.
A lot of budget solutions, and some were sounding really good.

I'm not trying to be complete.
In some rooms, we just walked in and out.

Here we go.

Naim and Neat

Nah...
I think the potential of the Naim all-in-ones is very good, I've heard them before, but this combo didn't do it for us.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Life is beautiful

B&W 700 series + Rotel

I'd say: decent.
Quite good highs and mids.
These speakers can bear better electronics though.
The bass sounded a bit boxy.
The enclosure is much more hearable than in the 800 series.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Life is beautiful

Large room with some large speakers with bad cross-overs:

Jacques said: the sound of the live concerts in the 80s.
Bass, mids, highs: it was all disconnected.

Driven by van den Hul, with some hocus pocus on top:

Von Schweikert:

More van den Hul components:

Nice to see a Teac tape machine in good condition:

This was not one of the good rooms.
I entered it another time, and my impression was the same.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Life is beautiful

Marc Levinson & Wilson Audio

The Wilson Audio rooms left a good impression on me last years.
2 years ago the Sabrina, last year the Yvette.
Both were here, but only on static display.

The model that played this year was the Alexia.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Life is beautiful

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but you can only admire the impeccable build quality of the Alexia.

The electronics weren't too shabby either:

Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Life is beautiful

You can see that the prices for American gear here in Europe are not comparable to the ones you pay over the pond.

Truly grand sound.
This was a great system.
But I said: "I find it a bit cold, I'm not really moved".
Jacques: "Hmm, I guess I could live with this system".
My answer: "Yes, but... wait till you hear the YGs..."

But we both felt this room would end up in the top 5, maybe even 3.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Life is beautiful

Next room: Dali

3500€ for a pair of speakers with amplification and DAC on board.

The Hub costs 549€.
For an additional 499€, you can integrate a BluOS module which gives you MQA.

In our Top 5 of budget solutions.
This set-up was playing decent music.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Life is beautiful

The World of McIntosh room

This nice turntable was sending its music, via Audio Research, to the new Homage Guarneris.

It was sounding a bit dull and flat.
Come on, I've heard much better demos of Sonus Faber and Audio Research!
Something was not properly set up I think.

Sonus Faber speakers remain beauties.
Real eye candy.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Life is beautiful

Cabling in that room: Audioquest

There were also models of an obscure US brand on static display:

Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Life is beautiful

On the other side of the room: the Sonus Faber Serafino:

This little fellow played in more than one room:

If I can make an estimated guess, I think this is the first Brussels Hifi Show where dematerialised music won from CDs and LPs.
Servers and Tidal: ubiquitous.

Powering the Serafino: