AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM

I think the AQ silver is very very good. I'm not doubting everyone's listening experience, but from a practical perspective I have a hard time rationalizing a huge difference going from Niagara on up. We're dealing with the same conductor and same basic design. Bigger air tubes, better connectors, sure, but the general architecture and materials are the same. The price increase going up the line is simply absurd......it is just done with a pencil.

One think I don't think can be overstated is how good AQ is regarding customer service. They will cut up or reterminate anything for a reasonable cost. Try asking Nordost to do that.....
Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 PM

tdimler,

We've talked several times and I know your opinion based on listening to Audioquest cables in your system. I'm fascinated at the fact that dealers are quick to say there is a night and day difference between Niagara and Fire. I don't know the difference between Niagara and Fire, because I haven't heard both in my system.
I just received the other Niagara cable, now I have one from my DAC to preamp and from my amp to preamp. What I can say, in my system, to my ears I just can't emphasize enough how much I prefer the Niagara to the Wireworld Platinum cable that I had.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 11-11-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
tdimler,

We've talked several times and I know your opinion based on listening Audioquest cables in your system. I'm fascinated at the fact that dealers are quick to say there is a night and day difference between the Niagara and Fire.
Because they want to sell Fire; the margin is higher. My local dealer tried to convince me that the 1.5 M AQ Diamond USB sounds better than the 0.75 M.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Because they want to sell Fire; the margin is higher. My local dealer tried to convince me that the 1.5 M AQ Diamond USB sounds better than the 0.75 M.
I currently have a Platinum Starlight 7 USB, but I'm going to try the AQ Diamond next week.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
My local dealer tried to convince me that the 1.5 M AQ Diamond USB sounds better than the 0.75 M.
Oh man.....that is rich.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
Oh man.....that is rich.
Yeah, they're something else, I tell ya.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Now I'm looking for suggestions on what Audioquest speaker cable to compare my Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7's to?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 PM

I've had good results with their older all-silver models. Their silver is much more resolving than the copper, and you can biwire with silver up top and copper down low for good results. But you need to keep the high/low geometry as similar as possible for best results (AQ will tell you the same). E.g. KE-4 (silver) and GO-4 (copper), or Kilimanjaro (silver) and Mont Blanc (copper).

The current prices on their silver speaker cables are through the roof, but many vintage models deliver the goods for less $$$$ if you do the research. I currently run a double Kilimanjaro 6' biwire, which yields the same AWG, metal, and geometry as one of their WEL Signature cables (over $20 K for a 6 ft pair!!). I've previously run a Kilimanjaro/Mont Blanc biwire (50/50 silver/copper and less resolving but still good) and a KE-4/Mont Blanc biwire (less coherent due to the differing geometries, with the copper Mont Blanc being bigger). In their current lineup they do an internal biwire design (each half geometrically being like a Mont Blanc or Kilimanjaro) with proportionally more silver vs. copper as you go up the line: Oak (100% copper), Redwood (a little silver), Wild (more than 50% silver), and WEL (100% silver).

Again, AQ will chop/shorten/reterminate as necessary to allow you to source bargains on the used market and still end up with the perfect biwire match. Their current 1000 series connectors (bananas or spades) are superb, and reasonably priced. Not to mention they look gorgeous.

For their current line, their Redwood is a very good sounding cable; I tried an 8' pair in my system a few years ago. It will be close to a Klimanjaro/Mont Blanc biwire (this mix has a bit more silver than the Redwood overall), but the latter can be had for a bit less cash. The double Kilimanjaro (being pure silver 9 AWG) beats the Redwood for sure.

Last edited by mulveling; 11-12-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 AM

If you’re by Dallas you can demo my AQ wels speaker cable
Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 AM

joey_v,

I live North of San Antonio. I lived in Dallas for four years and visit a couple times a year. The Wel's are out of my price range. What has the greater impact, interconnect cable or speaker cables? There has to be an alternative to Wel's speaker cable. My ears are open.