AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 PM

I am surprised to hear that they are not yet in production.
I wonder what is holding them up. Maybe they are making the road show to find out how many they need to make?? I am also surprised that a magazine would give a product of the year award to a prototype.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 PM

Thanks for posting guys!!
Old 04-28-2018, 12:34 AM

What kind of amplification power is required for those 30.7’s
Old 05-30-2018, 02:13 PM

Special Events: Come hear the new Magnepan 30.7 Planar Loudspeakers

Magnepan 30.7 Listening Events
Friday, June 8, 5pm
ListenUp Albuquerque
6916 Montgomery Blvd NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109
505-296-6978

Tuesday, June 12, 5pm
ListenUp Denver
685 S. Pearl St.
Denver, CO 80209
303-778-0780

To RSVP, call the numbers above or email us at RSVP@listenup.com
Old 06-09-2018, 07:05 PM

I was lucky enough to hear the new 30.7's at a local dealer's last Monday night.

Suffice it to say, IF...very big IF, one has the room to accommodate the new Magneplanar 30.7 speaker system, I would definitely place them on my very short list! A speaker that I could live happily with and get off the upgrade path.

When Wendell comes to your town to demo these babies, don't miss out, it will be worth your effort.

Last edited by Masterlu; 06-16-2018 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Links to other forums are not permitted.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM

I went to the ListenUp demo in Denver last night and... to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed.

They certainly went much lower than any other Maggie I've heard aside from the Tympani IVs, and threw a wonderful soundstage, but at least as presented they had some issues, and I'll just relate what I felt, though in talking with a few others they felt similar things:

1) They were "chesty." They played a copy of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" off digital, and Frank was far too chesty sounding. I'm intimately familiar with this recording, and it just was too heavy in his vocal range.

2) Horns just sounded... weird. The horns on the song just didn't sound "right." Perhaps a little closed off, they just didn't sound like horns should, perhaps a bit "blatty." They were just... off.

3) Playing an orchestral CD the strings were bright and brittle. I wish I could have heard that same CD played on other speakers because the CD sounded like something you would have expected from a CD released in 1984; bright, brittle, as if the orchestra was using metallic bows.

All in all the 30.7s sounded like what you would expect from speakers that hadn't yet been broken in, yet they've had enough tour stops to date I can't imagine they weren't.

Somewhat surpisingly they had the crossovers out of the tweeter panels lying on the ground connected with what looked to be ordinary Radio Shack-grade jumpers with alligator clips on the end. Normally I'd say that couldn't have helped any, but since Wendell's the expert, he wouldn't have done anything to harm the sound if he felt they were detrimental to the presentation.

Wendell also hinted the 30.7s were never designed to be manufactured, they were just meant to be a statement of what they could do, but they got people expressing interest. He said production has not yet started and they are still trying to sort some things out so for the time being there remain only two pair, this pair and a pair back in Minnesota.

Ironically the ListenUp demo had them in much the same place as the Apogee Divas I loved the sound of when I heard them in that same room 27 years ago.

Truthfully the best sound I had heard of the night was back in another room, Focal Sopra No. 3's being driven over AudioQuest Oaks by a Moon 700i Integrated, and a VPI Prime/Ortofon MC Quintet Bronze combo playing through a Rega Aria phono stage.

Last edited by BillK; 06-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 PM

In your opinion/observation, was the room sufficiently large enough to let the 30.7 "breath" and really sing?
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 06-16-2018, 12:25 AM

I have been wondering about whether the 30.7 actually were being manufactured. Looks like they are not. Sounds as if these demos are meant to determine if there is a real market for the speakers to help them decide if they should proceed with manufacture. I am surprised that the reviewers from magazines are giving accolades and awards to what seem to be a prototype product.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:42 PM

Default Chicago Demo: July 18, 2018

I got this from Audio Consultants in Chicago.

Quote:
Magnepan 30.7 - One Day Only - July 18, 2018

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, for one day only, Magnepan's new flagship speaker will be on display at Audio Consultants in Evanston.

Come to our Evanston store, at 1014 Davis Street, Evanston Illinois 60201, between 3:00pm and 8:00pm on Wednesday July 18th to meet Magnepan's Wendell Diller and have a chance to experience the result of six years of development.

For additional details, please call us at (847) 864-9565.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Thanks Carlos. My guess is this is as close as they will get to me - 4 hr drive. Unfortunately can not make it.