AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimac View Post
I hope this is better than the last one I went to.
I hope so. Note that it was better than its predecessors, so there's reason for hope.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Retired

Enjoyed the last one I attended (2007?) and hoping to get to this one. Checking with the speaker makers I want to hear to see if they are going to have any speakers that I thinking about (Focal Kanta No.2, Vandersteen Treo CT, Devore 0/93, Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby Grand, Wilson Sabrina). Will see.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Enjoyed the last one I attended (2007?) and hoping to get to this one.
You will see little resemblance.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
You will see little resemblance.

Why the big change in the event?

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Why the big change in the event?
???? 2007 was the last year that the show was produced by Stereophile and, after that, there was no NY audio shows for a while. The current producer is The Chester Group who began their presentations in 2012 and, imho, they have been extremely variable since they lost active participation from the big NYC retail shops after 2013.

Nice little history here: http://hometheaterhifi.com/features/...ed-trajectory/
Old 10-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
???? 2007 was the last year that the show was produced by Stereophile and, after that, there was no NY audio shows for a while. The current producer is The Chester Group who began their presentations in 2012 and, imho, they have been extremely variable since they lost active participation from the big NYC retail shops after 2013.

I remember attending such a presentation at Lyric Hifi, during my first NY audio show (don't remember the year). It was a Friday. My first time having California rolls (they were good), and the McIntosh HT setup downstairs was an ear-opener.

I do remember the Brooklyn show back in 2014; some of the big stores were there. Not last year at the Park Lane Hotel, however.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-14-2017, 06:44 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:

Sadly, there are too many shows vying for investment dollars. As a result, the ebb and flow of each show's influence is not small.

As a manufacturer, we attend many shows world-wide. There are broad questions we ask before deciding to attend.

1) Are our dealers and distributors going to attend? The show is a place to meet/do business with our dealers on a face to face basis. Typically these are primarily Industry Shows, CES and Munich being most prominent on a year to year basis. (2018 will likely eliminate CES)

2) Is/are the regional dealer(s) and/or distributor(s) going to participate? Have they asked us to contribute? We typically go to support our partners in their presentations to the public. Axpona is the most prominent of these in the US. Most recent was LLAS. There are many more in Asia and Europe almost all of which are much larger than the secondary shows in the US.

3) Are we supporting other manufacturers with the loan of our speakers? We will attend to set up speakers in most instances. Our staff are also usually there throughout the show to meet the public. RMAF is the most recent example of this, with Nagra and Constellation using Alexia 2s.

4) Do the event dates conflict with another/other potentially more valuable event? This is a judgement call as to which to support. Sometimes we support more than one at a time. Many new shows (not all!) seem to choose/adjusttheir dates in a vacuum - disregarding the world-wide show schedule.

In a perfect world, show vendors would communicate and work with one another to maximize their dates' effectiveness. Until then, we like most manufacturers, will have to make the hard choices that most effectively utilize our available budget.

Last edited by metaphacts; 10-14-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 PM

I understand most of what goes into it but still I am saddened by how minor the NY show is and I wish it was more.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:15 PM

I believe if the show is weak I will still have plenty of fun in the City.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:40 PM

If the weather's nice, it's a pleasant walk from my apartment. Not a big investment.