AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM

How did the 350.5 compare to the 100.5's?

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
How did the 350.5 compare to the 100.5's?
I was not able to do the A/B with the 350.5 to the 100.5's but was able to with the older X350. The 100.5 was a much more natural sound with greater width, depth, and everything was more pin point. It was a nice improvement.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat82 View Post
Although I have never heard a Pass amp (would love to though) I do have a Magtech and would not call it a dark sound, in fact its as neutral as any amp I have ever owned and matches perfectly with my 20.7s.
As for tubes vs SS for Maggies, I prefer SS for amp(s) and tubs for source devices. Maggies need power and LOTS of it to sound their best and this means a really good power supply (read about the Magtech Power supply), Magnepan states this on their website too.

There are some decent sized tube amps available however, very few get to the level (and at what cost?) that the big Maggies require to sound their best.

Brett
+1

I agree that the best match for the 20.7s is a solid state amp with a large power supply.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 PM

This is very helpful guys. I appreciate it. I am going to try out my sunfire and see how it goes. I am not sure how it compares to something like a magtech but it does run very cool has tons of power etc. I am not sure if anyone has compared the two amps but they both double down into 4 ohm... Both run cool... Both are meant to drive stats with crazy loads. Just wondered if anyone has heard the sunfire signature and a magtech. I have heard very good reviews on the magtech. i also know another though that has traded it in for pass and he was a sanders bigot!! ithink the pass xa100.5s might be out of the price range however.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
This is very helpful guys. I appreciate it. I am going to try out my sunfire and see how it goes. I am not sure how it compares to something like a magtech but it does run very cool has tons of power etc. I am not sure if anyone has compared the two amps but they both double down into 4 ohm... Both run cool... Both are meant to drive stats with crazy loads. Just wondered if anyone has heard the sunfire signature and a magtech. I have heard very good reviews on the magtech. i also know another though that has traded it in for pass and he was a sanders bigot!! ithink the pass xa100.5s might be out of the price range however.
Tim - No need to do everything at once. Get your 20.7s and see how they integrate with the rest of your system / room. Once you get a handle on its character you can tweak other parts of your system. I got my 20.7s in March 2013 and did not arrive at the system I have now until mid-2014.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Tim - No need to do everything at once. Get your 20.7s and see how they integrate with the rest of your system / room. Once you get a handle on its character you can tweak other parts of your system. I got my 20.7s in March 2013 and did not arrive at the system I have now until mid-2014.
+1

I agree with Carlos, grow your system in steps and enjoy the process. I have been building my system for over 30 years and its still not done.

Brett
Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 PM

Haha. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!! But really I am so slow about these decisions and methodical. I heard the 20.1 7 years ago and continued to think about them. A sickness I think!! . But now I'm at a place where I have some out of sight out of mind money. And it's time. Looking at a spring arrival!!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 AM

timm,
I have 3.7s with DWN woofers. Using ARC D -150 on 3.7s and Parasound 200W SS on the woofers. I am planning to get the new PS Audio BHK Signature Amp when it comes out in March or April. Heard it at RMAF on Infinity Betas. Very good.
The D-150 replaced Parasound JC-1s, which were good also at 800w. The PSA BHK will be better than JC-1s.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisand View Post
timm, I have 3.7s with DWN woofers. Using ARC D -150 on 3.7s and Parasound 200W SS on the woofers. I am planning to get the new PS Audio BHK Signature Amp when it comes out in March or April. Heard it at RMAF on Infinity Betas. Very good. The D-150 replaced Parasound JC-1s, which were good also at 800w. The PSA BHK will be better than JC-1s.
Hi, have you get the BHK?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Many people prefer SS to drive Maggies. I sold my McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe monoblock and BAT VK-6200 mult-ch amp before I got 3.7. Right now, I am using a pair of BAT VK-55's to drive 3.7 without problem. These beasts provide 110 watt per block.