AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM

This FireBottle SE chassis is stereo and has transformers waiting on the shelf.
It will be built this week and I think it will use KT-150's in triode but that is up
to Dennis. But that is the chassis size we use for single tube monoblocks.
I'll post pics of the chassis layout for mono's
Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM

This was a pair of 807 monoblocks, the large hole for the output tube would be smaller for an 8 pin socket but otherwise it would be the same.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
This was a pair of 807 monoblocks, the large hole for the output tube would be smaller for an 8 pin socket but otherwise it would be the same.
Do you happen to know what the highest power mono blocks are that Dennis still makes and sells today?

While I absolutely love my big upgraded V12R, and recently new (amazing!) FireBottle "Hot Rod" KT150, I'm actually considering selling both to help fund a full-blown mono block set if Dennis will build them for me to match two different pairs of prototype speakers I'm working on with a buddy right now.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:19 PM

@straitwire 807 monoblocks sound amazing!

I wish that tube worked in the fire-bottle / Hot-rod series that use pentodes, but 807 are just off enough that they overheat the PSU transformer in those amps.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Do you happen to know what the highest power mono blocks are that Dennis still makes and sells today?

While I absolutely love my big upgraded V12R, and recently new (amazing!) FireBottle "Hot Rod" KT150, I'm actually considering selling both to help fund a full-blown mono block set if Dennis will build them for me to match two different pairs of prototype speakers I'm working on with a buddy right now.
Hey decooney, Other than a pair of High Gloss Black QMB-25 chassis's that are ready to be built... We currently do not have a mono block offering.
But looking at the ingredients list for what we offer now, you can see the possibilities. If only we had someone who could cut a chassis for it
I agree with you comzee the 807 is an amazing sounding tube!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Recently ran a quad of 807s in my PSE. Very enjoyable.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Hey decooney, Other than a pair of High Gloss Black QMB-25 chassis's that are ready to be built... We currently do not have a mono block offering.
But looking at the ingredients list for what we offer now, you can see the possibilities. If only we had someone who could cut a chassis for it
Messaged back and forth with DH a bit. He helped me on a few ideas on running two of the KT150 Hot Rods, or I could try bi-amping with my other amps using them for the low end. I might try a few different things first and see how it pans out. thanks.

Last edited by decooney; 02-25-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 PM

dup

Last edited by decooney; 02-25-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: dup
Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 PM

Does anyone know the tube rectifier info for a PSE amp? I have 6550's and KT88's. Not sure whether the 5Y3 or 5R4 rectifier should be used with these? I assume the 5R4 is to be used with 6550's and KT88's and the 5Y3 would be used with 6V6 output tubes?

Also, can the PSE run 5AR4 or 5U4 rectifier types? I know there is a sheet floating around Dennis made up showing different tube options and the related output wattage for the KT-88 Fire Bottles, but the PSE I am not sure about. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post
Does anyone know the tube rectifier info for a PSE amp? I have 6550's and KT88's. Not sure whether the 5Y3 or 5R4 rectifier should be used with these? I assume the 5R4 is to be used with 6550's and KT88's and the 5Y3 would be used with 6V6 output tubes?

Also, can the PSE run 5AR4 or 5U4 rectifier types? I know there is a sheet floating around Dennis made up showing different tube options and the related output wattage for the KT-88 Fire Bottles, but the PSE I am not sure about. Any info would be appreciated.

About the time Dennis started making PSE he also came up with the IIRPS (see recent sales on eBay). I seem to recall a few were sold before mine and mine was the first with the new PS circuit. With the IIRPS, typically the rectification is provided with diodes and the rectifier tube is a PS feedback buffer. With the IIRPS DH uses direct heated rectifiers (5y3, 5r4). A lower noise floor I was told. It will not hurt to run indirect heated rectifiers (5ar4) in the new PS but sound may be compromised.

I think I recall you bought your PSE on second hand market. If seller cannot tell you weather you got the IIRPS or not, pull the bottom cover off and send DH a picture. I know he can tell with a quick look. Maybe even easier, I can check the date on mine and if yours is a newer vintage you should know.

Scott