AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
I must say that I liked the DP-75 presentation so much that now I'm searching for a DC-91 or even a DC-81L with his wonderful discrete DAC to try
If you do not need a usb input, then my recommendation for an older Accuphase player is the DP-800 & DC-801 combo. I know that it can read also SA-CDs and you are not 100% happy about that, but this player is significantly better on red book CDs than any previous Accuphase player. Be aware, however, that in time most Accuphase players require a new laser. What happens is that after a while, the player is not able to read some of the discs in your collection. This in spite of the fact that the disc(s) do not show any significant scratches. Consequently, the best thing to do when you own an older Accuphase player is to buy a spare laser for it. They are not very expensive, and one never knows when they will stop being available.

Last edited by nvp; 05-26-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:25 AM

Hi nvp,
welcome back

Quote:
I should say, however, that I am a bit surprised that you have bought the C-2420 pre-amp. I am saying this because you seem to prefer the sound of the old Accuphase units which compared to the newer units sound fuller.
Well, as you said: I basically needed a good and easy to set volume control

When I tried the 2420 and found no differences at all between having it on the chain or not, I was sold.
I skipped the 2120 for pure aesthetic reasons: the 2420 is like the DG-58. If the 2420 had the sound too much modified, a less precise soundstage or a higher noise floor the the direct connection, then I would have tried the 2820.

I generally seem to prefer the sound of old unit, it's true, and for this reason I flirted with the idea of a C-290 pre, but not having the remote and my previous somewhat underwhelming experience with a C-275 (tracking was a bit off at low levels) pushed me to try the 2420.

I also think that too much "old smooth fuller" sound that sums together from more equipment creates a bit of a chaotic soundstage, and I want to be able to pinpoint every part of the soundstage: I'm perfecting the room for this goal.

Let's not also forget that a little tweak on the DG-58 can provide changes a magnitude bigger than small electronics nuances.

P.S. Regarding laser assembly, the Sony unit on the DP-75 is impossible to find. But no worries: when it fails, I'll just buy a DP- something and use the DP-75 as a processor for Redbook. That is the beauty of Accuphase units with digital inputs
And I also admit that I am somewhat more intrigued by R2R chips (like the DP-75), for PCM 16/44 material, in respect to Delta Sigma, but mine is mostly a "theoretical" preference. But then again, we have this hobby to be satisfied no?

Last edited by Mattia; 05-27-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:20 AM

Hi Mattia, I understand what you are saying. In spite of what I have written in the thread about Accuphase pre-amps, I too would have bought the C-2420 over the C-2120 just for the aesthetic match with the DG-58 unit. Also, the lack of remote control in the older pre-amps would have been a deal breaker for me too.

On a totally different matter, I have a question about your trip to Japan. How easy/difficult is to get by in Japan if one does not speak Japanese? I will be going to a conference in Japan (Sapporo) in the beginning of September, and I am wondering whether it will be a good idea to also bring my wife and daughter along and visit Japan after the conference is finished.

Last edited by nvp; 06-05-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:37 AM

Hi nvp,
maybe is better if you send me a mail, so we don't go too much off topic here But the short answer is yes, by all means, I would bring also the family to that wonderful country! And I don't speak more than 10 Japanese words

Last edited by Mattia; 06-09-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 AM

Hi Mattia, I am happy to hear that one can get by in Japan without speaking Japanese. For the time being this is everything I need to know. (I've written down your email address so you can edit your answer above and remove it. If I need more info I will write you a private message.) Thanks!

Last edited by nvp; 06-09-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Well nvp,
outside city areas (and even in some of those) it will often happen that you'll find absolutely nobody that speak another language beside Japanese, even in Hotels.
But you can surely manage with some good old gestuality

The signs however are almost everywhere in Japanese and English.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Well nvp,
outside city areas (and even in some of those) it will often happen that you'll find absolutely nobody that speak another language beside Japanese, even in Hotels.
I have expected that, hence my concern.

Quote:
The signs however are almost everywhere in Japanese and English.
Then, we should be fine. (Last year we have had no problems to get around Beijing, and there we had no access to google maps - only signs in English). Thanks a lot!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:26 PM

For what it's worth. I've had nothing but good experiences traveling in Japan. Granted, mostly Tokyo - Kyoto corridor. I've always found everyone I met in Japan very friendly and willing to help.

You can always bring one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/3980880273/ Also, a voice translation app might work in a pinch, e.g. google SayHi app
Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM

I briefly return on topic.

After finally having received five RPG Modex Plates ( http://www.rpginc.com/ProductDocs%5C...20Brochure.pdf ) and installed them without hurting myself (they are very big and weight A LOT), and so completed my acoustic treatment, I've done some more measures and equalization with the DG-58.

If before I had to manually select the "mid" degree of intervention to have a good balance between correction and reproduction, after many tries now I found out that the "smooth" auto correction works overall best.
Over 80Hz now my room is very fine per se, so I don't need a great deal of correction, and for the <80Hz part and the still somewhat present 40Hz modal (that "smooth" doesn't fully tame) I use the Equalization section.

I've done an equalization curve that >80Hz follows exactly the Voicing results (so it should not change anything) and <80Hz lowers the bass peak. Very satisfied of the results.

I've clearly noticed that, in my system, the less the DG-58 has to correct, the way better and more natural sounding the results are. I expected so, but not by a this wide margin. Dirac correction on the miniDSP 22 seemed to work better in "difficult" situations, with big corrections needed.

I also noticed that now I prefer the DA conversion of the DG-58 over the DP-75 one that before I found more relaxed and natural, more pleasing.
In the now fully corrected room and with the new carefully crafted DG-58 correction, the DG-58 DA section provides a sound that is not more fatiguing but much more dynamic, focused and detailed over the DP-75 that is a bit more "blurred" and less dynamic.

Last edited by Mattia; 08-26-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
In the now fully corrected room and with the new carefully crafted DG-58 correction, the DG-58 DA section provides a sound that is not more fatiguing but much more dynamic, focused and detailed over the DP-75 that is a bit more "blurred" and less dynamic.
This comes with no surprise to me. The DG-58 has the better DAC. Period.

Martin