AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 04-09-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Magnepan MMG, panel odor

I lent my MMGs to my brother in law over weekend and he called me and tells me he's getting an odor from the panels. He says its not a burning smell but an odor nonetheless. Here's what worries me; he was driving them with an Accurus amp that is 8 ohms and is clearly underpowered. He said the amp got very hot before he turned it off. According to him, the speakers sound fine but the odor is still there. Is it possible that the speakers are permanently damaged or its just the odor from the mylar that got warm and it'll be fine. Anyone heard this before?
Old 04-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

kalali.......Rule #1: Don't lend gear to anyone. It will never be cared for like you take care of it. Maggies on a low powered amplifier equals a recipe for trouble.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-09-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:51 PM

Well, learned my lesson. Do you guys think/know if an underpowered amp can only damage the tweeter, e.g., blow the fuse I assume/hope, or it can also permanently damage the woofer area as well? I'm thinking the "odor" he's talking about is from the overheating mylar since the fuse is still apparently okay. I'm going to lose some sleep before I have it back next weekend..... I'll see if I can reach out to Wendell tomorrow and ask him too. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Racing Hoopties

Don't sweat it until you get them back and can hook them up. Life is too short.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 PM

Fair point.... that calls for a cocktail...
Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalali View Post
Fair point.... that calls for a cocktail...

Cheers!!!
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 AM

I would think his amp would have taken the brunt of the abuse.The capacitors and inductors are the only thing I can see getting hot on the panels.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 AM

That's a great point. I didn't think of the crossover components being stressed. My concern was more centered around the mylar being "burnt" by the driver wire strands.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I have driven many Magnaplaner speakers with my Acurus A200 power amps, and still drive the bass panels in my modified MGIIIa's with one. They have never even been more than warm to the touch, so something is amiss in his unit. FWIW The smell may have been with his amp and not the Maggies!
Regards,
Jim