AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Has anyone made the leap from 802D3 to 800D3?

Anyone here make that leap yet?

I have yet to a/b the 2 next to each other to hear the actual differences, I've watched videos and read about them... but not yet a/b them.

My dealer is offering me a trade up from my 802D3 to the 800D3 so my interest has been piqued.

I was thinking of adding dual Rel G1 or G2 to my units over time but I wonder if I get a more seamless sound, less distortion in the midband, and overall improved sound if I go with the 800D3 rather than try to integrate subs.

THoughts?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 AM

Have not heard the 800D3 yet, but I have the 800 D2 in one set up and had experience with past 800 top models before that. B&W is always consistent in their product line in terms of quality. The 800 has always been substantialy over the 802. I sincerely doubt a subwoofer will compensate the differences, since they are not only different in the bass section. If I were you I would take the 800 without a second of thinking.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:08 AM

I nearly did! I had negotiated the price and trade in of my beloved 802D3 for the 800D3. I decided to invest in a home audition of the 800D3 (charge applied to the purchase of the 800D3 if all went well). I am glad I did the test. Whereas the bass on the 802D3 sounds fantastic in my room, the 800D3 did not. Granted, my room is not huge (12'x23')
and does not provide the flexibility to place the speakers in many places. The bass was so prodigious on the 800D3 that it swamped the room whenever certain frequencies were excited and hung around too long. I am sure in the right room and position the 800D3 could best the 802D3 (mostly in the bass). But the bass you hear is not what the speaker puts out but what your room+speaker allows. I would much rather have a speaker that plays well in the room then its big brother that does not. Interestingly, if you read the various reviews and auditions of people who have heard the 802D3 and 800D3, you will often hear some similar issues with the bass from the 800D3. Namely, there were troubles dialing it in, even in professionally built and treated rooms. Again, I don't doubt that the 800D3 can be superior. Just don't assume they will sound that way in your room, especially if that room is not very large and you don't have a lot of flexibility in positioning. I highly recommend an audition before you buy.

I just saw a review in Audiophile and the reviewer makes this same point about the 803D3. He writes
"They are superb loudspeakers. Where you'll do your research is in room synergy. Size matters. And B&W provides 8 models from which to choose in the 800 Series Diamond line, including a standmount, two centres and a sub. My guess is you'll be choosing the 803s for your medium to large room where it will fill it with the most musical sounds for many years. Like most of the Focal Utopias, Raidho loudspeakers and that magical Magico Q1, the 803 D3 is a lifetime speaker. "
Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 PM

It sounds like room treatment at play.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
I nearly did! I had negotiated the price and trade in of my beloved 802D3 for the 800D3. I decided to invest in a home audition of the 800D3 (charge applied to the purchase of the 800D3 if all went well). I am glad I did the test. Whereas the bass on the 802D3 sounds fantastic in my room, the 800D3 did not. Granted, my room is not huge (12'x23')

and does not provide the flexibility to place the speakers in many places. The bass was so prodigious on the 800D3 that it swamped the room whenever certain frequencies were excited and hung around too long. I am sure in the right room and position the 800D3 could best the 802D3 (mostly in the bass). But the bass you hear is not what the speaker puts out but what your room+speaker allows. I would much rather have a speaker that plays well in the room then its big brother that does not. Interestingly, if you read the various reviews and auditions of people who have heard the 802D3 and 800D3, you will often hear some similar issues with the bass from the 800D3. Namely, there were troubles dialing it in, even in professionally built and treated rooms. Again, I don't doubt that the 800D3 can be superior. Just don't assume they will sound that way in your room, especially if that room is not very large and you don't have a lot of flexibility in positioning. I highly recommend an audition before you buy.

I just saw a review in Audiophile and the reviewer makes this same point about the 803D3. He writes

"They are superb loudspeakers. Where you'll do your research is in room synergy. Size matters. And B&W provides 8 models from which to choose in the 800 Series Diamond line, including a standmount, two centres and a sub. My guess is you'll be choosing the 803s for your medium to large room where it will fill it with the most musical sounds for many years. Like most of the Focal Utopias, Raidho loudspeakers and that magical Magico Q1, the 803 D3 is a lifetime speaker. "

Thanks for this. I knew that you had them on loan so I was hoping you'd review them. I'm not lucky enough to be able to get a home trial so I'm going to sit for a bit.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:

Good points Adam.
I heard the same about KEF Blades and Blade IIs.
In some cases, the Blades can overpower the room.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-13-2017, 03:49 PM

Good point about bigger is not always better, but this makes me wonder about 'optimal' room size by speaker. Aren't most of these being demo'd in standard size hotel rooms at CES, RMAF, AXPONA and other shows?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your interesting review. I have lived previously with the N802 for 10 years and traded up to the new 802D2 which I have had for almost 5 years. The jump in sound quality was amazing.

I recently took the plunge to purchase the 802D3's and have around 20 hours on them so I imagine they are still breaking in.

I have noticed a big difference on the bass on the D3 being much drier, with more slam than the D2. The bass also appears to be lighter in weight than the D2's which were much fuller in the midbass than the D3's giving the feeling of a more robust bass and a bit warmer sound.

Kal reported in his review that the D3 had a more defined bass versus the D2 but the sound was on the "lighter side" with a less pronounced mid bass bloom or boom. I definitely need to get used to this as I somewhat liked the more robust mid bass of the D2's. This might be a matter of needing additional break in time or possible positioning of the speakers which are in the identical spot as the previous D2 version.

I would be curious to hear other opinions of people who have had the 802D2's that have upgraded to the D3's and if the sound quality changed after additional playing time in particular with the bass.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:42 PM

I'm going to a/b them side by side in same room, we will see what's what.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGale View Post
Kal reported in his review that the D3 had a more defined bass versus the D2 but the sound was on the "lighter side" with a less pronounced mid bass bloom or boom. I definitely need to get used to this as I somewhat liked the more robust mid bass of the D2's. This might be a matter of needing additional break in time or possible positioning of the speakers which are in the identical spot as the previous D2 version.
Or room EQ.