AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 07-28-2016, 03:15 PM

Review.....very promising

Gramophone Dreams #11 | Stereophile.com
Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 AM

Cost ot Turntable + cartridge + accessories (LP cleaner, dry brush, stylus cleaner, cleaning agents, jackets and sleeves) all add up quickly.
$4K table (VPI is my choice (Prime or Classic)or a Rega (RP6 or 8))
$1.5 K cartridge
$700 LP cleaner
$300 other accessories

That will get you 'started'.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:19 AM

wonder if the Op ever did anything 'tt' wise ???
Old 01-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Has anyone heard one of these or the standard model? I completely forgot about them but came across an old article this morning. As far as I can tell the standard model isn't yet available? Not that I'm looking to buy, I'd just be curious to hear some firsthand experience.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:56 PM

My 2 cents... I have the 1200mk5 and I want to upgrade. I haven't even hooked it up since I moved, 9 months ago. There are far better options. Check out the needle doctor's website. They have a store here in Minneapolis. Great guys that know TTs inside and out.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 AM

I have only heard a VPI in a shop so can't really comment on them. The way I look at it you want a TT to do two things very well.

First it must spin at 33 and 45. Not, 34 or 45.5. Also it must have minimal wow and flutter, and no variation in drag caused by the variation in the groves (ie high and low frequency). This is very difficult, but is the area where Direct Drives have it all over belt drives. (Of course the uber-decks will do this no matter which method they use). The Technics SL1200 series had fabulous speed control and the new motor on the 'G' can only improve on that. VPI do have a direct drive deck but that is well into 5 figures.

Second is vibration control. I don't know which table is better at that.

As mentioned by others you have to factor in the additional costs of things like cleaning equipment (essential if you are buying second hand records), a cartridge, and a phono stage.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 PM

I know this thread has been dormant for months but I have kept up with a lot of the reviews and this new Technics continues to shine. I firmly believe you would be hard pressed to better it if at all in it's price range and probably beyond for some dollars as well.

Dan, your original comments on this table were quite a bit off, it may look a lot like the old 1200 but apparently below the skin there is real 'substance' !
Old 11-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
I know this thread has been dormant for months but I have kept up with a lot of the reviews and this new Technics continues to shine. I firmly believe you would be hard pressed to better it if at all in it's price range and probably beyond for some dollars as well.

Dan, your original comments on this table were quite a bit off, it may look a lot like the old 1200 but apparently below the skin there is real 'substance' !
Dave.......You may be correct about my initial impressions. Technics definitely has engineering and manufacturing prowess, and this turntable reflects their skills.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Dan, while I'm not about to ditch my current VPI set up I will say this about the current Technics offering ........ To their credit they have brought to market a top flight analog playback device that a 'analog newbie' can purchase, set up (without fear or trepidation) and be right in the mix of 'analog heaven' ........ without spending stupid audiophile $$ !!

Last edited by Mikado463; 11-12-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM

To the OP, thesaint519

If you've always lusted for a Technics get one. They are well built and with proper setup will sound great.

What's more important is that you buy an excellent cartridge that is a good match for the arm. The magic starts happening at around $1000, although there are some fine cartridges below that price point.

If you want to stay in the technics family then another path is to find a cherry SP-10 mkII and mate it with a great arm like an SME. You can have a custom plinth made for the combo. You'll be under the cost of the new pieces and have arguably the best direct drive turntable ever built. Yes, it's more work but it would be a fun journey for the right person.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v