AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
I use Venom 3.
I think it sound much more solid than the stock cord
The only issue is the plug doesn't fit tight into the Devialet
I can second the Venom 3 as a very good sounding alternative to the stock cord. Very good bang for the buck.

I'm using the similarly priced Transparent Performance PowerLink into its own isolated bank on a Transparent PowerIsolator Reference with a Reference PowerLink to the wall. It has a tight fit to the Devialet and allows me to use the metal cover without issues. It was a substantial step-up from the stock cord and very similar sound to the Venom 3 - a little more organic and seems to reduce the already very black background just a slight bit more.
Wilson Sophia 2's, Devialet D-Premier, Transparent Ultra ICs & SCs, Transparent Reference power products, Oppo BDP-103, Clearaudio Ovation TT & Benz Ace SM, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, ASC Tube Traps & Sound Panels
Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by struts001 View Post
struts001

Sorry GTIboy, no experience of the NDS and I have only heard the Klimax DS in a friend's completely different system.

Howver, one of the challenges the Devialet presents is making any relevant comparisons. Being, as it is, a combination of streamer, DAC, preamp and power amp (plus lots more of course) it can only be compared with 2-4 or more components at a time. In my system it replaced seven different boxes not to mention cables for thousands (I really don't want to count) of dollars. Hopefully you'll find a dealer who can either offer the relevant comparison or a home dem. However I wouldn't be surprised if your biggest problem is offloading all the gear you'll suddenly find you no longer need!

Good luck!

markmck79

I don't have any experience with Linn. However, I did audition a Naim NDX to incorporate into my previously all Audio Research system, before going with the Devialet. (The NDS had not been released at the time.) The streaming function of the Devialet far surpassed the Naim NDX at that time. In all an all Naim system, though, the NDS or NDX might perform better, especially if you are already a fan of the Naim house sound. In the US, though, the NDS plus the requisite power supply and cables nears or surpasses the price of the Devialet. To my ears (& my pocketbook) that makes the Devialet a very easy pick.
I'm assuming you guys found the the Devialet sounded better than your current systems prior to changing over?

Reading across other forums it seems the Naim NDS is on par with the Linn Klimax DS in terms of sound quality, so if you found the Devialet sounded better than that, then this is quite a statement.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtiboy View Post
I'm assuming you guys found the the Devialet sounded better than your current systems prior to changing over?
I've only had mine about a week so i don't have too many hours on it yet, but it is fairly easy to identify several parameters where it betters my previous system (Boulder 1012/1060) and none so far where it falls short.

The really striking aspect of the sound for me is the amazing resolution, detail in everything from instrumental timbre, vocal inflection, piano phrasing etc. If my previous system was giving it to me to the same degree I certainly wasn't noticing it! The other real long suit is the bass which is incredibly deep, clear, tuneful and beautifully controlled. Not a parameter where one would expect such a physically small amp to excel.

Sure, there is better equipment out there, but it costs many multiples of the Devialet's price and the differences are extremely subtle. I can only recommend that you try to audition, I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM

In my experience the Devialet is reference level for someone whose equipment budget is $25k or below and should be on the short list for anyone looking to spend up to double that or beyond (especially if you are lucky enough to afford the dual-mono configuration).
Wilson Sophia 2's, Devialet D-Premier, Transparent Ultra ICs & SCs, Transparent Reference power products, Oppo BDP-103, Clearaudio Ovation TT & Benz Ace SM, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, ASC Tube Traps & Sound Panels
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Well that's good to know. I will try and get an audition at some point.

Being a digital amp, is there any hint of digital sound / glare or edginess to the presentation?

I've heard the NDS and it sounded super smooth and very refined with lots of detail and clarity with added ambiance to the sound over the NDX.

I'm hoping the Devialet will surpass this.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Well that's good to know. I will try and get an audition at some point.

Being a digital amp, is there any hint of digital sound / glare or edginess to the presentation?

I've heard the NDS and it sounded super smooth and very refined with lots of detail and clarity with added ambiance to the sound over the NDX.

I'm hoping the Devialet will surpass this.
To my ears Devialet has ameliorated what issues exist with class D amplification while retaining the benefits of power and control of the low frequencies through their "analog digital hybrid" technology. You really should listen for yourself, but to me the Devialet is the most neutral amplification device I have heard across the entire frequency spectrum of music that also still conveys musicality, short of some many more times expensive pure class A high power amplifiers.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
gtiboy, I think you have the wrong end of the stick, the Devialet is very definitely not a "digital amp". The output stage is a novel combination of a class A amp providing the voltage and a class D amp providing the current (Devialet has given in the slightly unfortunate moniker "ADH"). The voltage defines the musical signal (i.e. the sound quality), the current delivery defines when the amp starts distorting depending on the loudspeaker impedance, which typically varies across the frequency range. You could think of it as the class A amp being a tap and the class D amp providing the water pressure that ensures you get an ever faster flow regardless of how far the tap is opened. So for SQ purposes you can safely think of the Devialet as a class A amp, with a signal path of less than 2" from DAC to output stage.

Regarding how it actually sounds, it is probably safe to assume that I didn't upgrade from over £40k of Boulder electronics because I found the sound glaring or edgy. Apologies if that wasn't clear from my earlier comments. It's always difficult to know how much one can rely on the subjective sound quality judgements of people one has never met, but if one is a sceptic what is the point of asking that type of question on an internet forum?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM

That's really impressive that it replaced 40k worth of hifi equipment. I mention if the Devialet has any glare or edginess to the presentation as this is what one person said on a Naim forum...to me this tells me that they are biased towards Naim's sound and confirms that this really isn't the case talking to actual owners.

What i'm looking for is true to life sound where voices and instruments sound like how they do in real life, with all the weight, resolution and clarity to it.

For those who are running the Devialet with PC/Mac as a source, is the preferred choice running it connected up via cables or Wirelessly?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
For those who are running the Devialet with PC/Mac as a source, is the preferred choice running it connected up via cables or Wirelessly?
Definitely the latter since the Devialet lacks a wired internet connection!* You can get a good overview of the connectivity options by checking out the online configurator.

* although in retrospect you may have been referring to a wired S/PDIF or AES connection in which case see Mark's answer below.

Last edited by struts001; 01-21-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Got wrong end of stick
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
That's really impressive that it replaced 40k worth of hifi equipment. I mention if the Devialet has any glare or edginess to the presentation as this is what one person said on a Naim forum...to me this tells me that they are biased towards Naim's sound and confirms that this really isn't the case talking to actual owners.

What i'm looking for is true to life sound where voices and instruments sound like how they do in real life, with all the weight, resolution and clarity to it.

I predominantly use the wireless AIR functionality as I have been unable to discern the difference in streamed bit-perfect AIFF files versus those sent by wired means (Weiss, M2Tech) from a Mac, using Amarra - I think it is a dead-heat between the two and streaming is obviously much easier and cost-effective. I will, however, note that I have also been able to discern a quality difference between AIFF (non-compressed) and ALAC (losslessly compressed) files on the Devialet - that is how resolving the device is. I was a bit disappointed to see that John Atkinson continues to use ALAC files, and did so in his Devialet review, and that potentially could be why he felt the streaming capabilities fell behind the direct connection approach. Computer storage is so cheap these days that storing AIFF files should be no issue.

I also use in my system an Oppo universal player as a transport for SACD and DVD-A and a Clearaudio turntable. The phono stage in the D-Premier might be the most under-appreciated aspect in reviews so far. In my experience it more than holds its weight against phono pre's below $10k.

One more note, the sound quality and reliability of the streaming music function has only increased with each successive release of new firmware since the AIR debut. Just when it seems that it can't get any better the engineers at Devialet have found a way to squeeze a little more improvement at the margins.

I know I've gushed over this device here at AA, but it has been transformative to the enjoyment of my system. I would highly recommend that anyone with an open mind to audition for themselves. But be prepared to buy.