AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM

So, I have a pair of PM1s I'm using for nearfield, but will be changing setups and going to a stand mount. As part of that, I may step up to the 805D. Regardless, I will be adding a sub and Since this will be for 2-channel music only, I'm very interested in the REL offerings. Separately, I've had my eye on Classe's CP-800 to round out the new setup.

What's interesting is how the REL subs are supposed to be wired into the system. I guess the high level input is one major way that their subs mate so well with various speakers. While you could use the other connection types, this seems to be the preferred mechanism. However, this would seemingly sidestep some of the benefits that the CP-800 offers in the way of EQ (including easy one button switching between with or without sub, etc). I also like the ability to have control over the sub from across the room. It seems like its a waste to get a REL and not use the high level connection method.

Any thoughts on all this?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:17 PM

RELs do come with both connections, so you could easily try out both ways and make your decision from there. I use JL F113s in my theater with my SSP800, and a REL 305 in my 2 channel system with my 805Ds. I use the REL high level connection and it does blend extremely well...I don't think you can go wrong...
Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Thought about that. It is a good option to have and I'd be curious to see how close the blend using the non high input vs the high. What it might allow for a good bar by setting it up first with the high and seeing how close you could get with one of the other inputs.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
So, I have a pair of PM1s I'm using for nearfield, but will be changing setups and going to a stand mount. As part of that, I may step up to the 805D. Regardless, I will be adding a sub and Since this will be for 2-channel music only, I'm very interested in the REL offerings. Separately, I've had my eye on Classe's CP-800 to round out the new setup.

What's interesting is how the REL subs are supposed to be wired into the system. I guess the high level input is one major way that their subs mate so well with various speakers. While you could use the other connection types, this seems to be the preferred mechanism. However, this would seemingly sidestep some of the benefits that the CP-800 offers in the way of EQ (including easy one button switching between with or without sub, etc). I also like the ability to have control over the sub from across the room. It seems like its a waste to get a REL and not use the high level connection method.

Any thoughts on all this?
I owned the CP-800 and sold it about a month ago. It has amazing, leading edge features and seem less USB/Computer integration. However, it sounded very mechanical. I could never get it to integrate well into my system. If I was doing it again, I would get a Mc 2300 or a similar tube preamp like a CJ (or maybe a Mc c50 preamp) and a Velodyne SMS-1.

I wanted to like the CP-800, but it just never sounded musical to me.

Mike
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Since I never thought it was something I had need for, I didn't pay attention when the PV1 got revamped to the PV1D earlier this year. Taking a look at it now, there are some pretty interesting features that actually employ a bunch of the things that the CP-800 is doing for sub management. I especially like the pre-configured low-pass settings for B&W speakers that I would guess make integration with PM1s or 805D a lot easier. I also like the volume trim that's meant for temporary use (increase or decrease sub level +/- 6dB and then goes back to normal once the unit goes back into standby), like when you want to tweak the bass for a particular song or set of songs but don't want to change output globally going forward.

I may look into it as an option too. It doesn't have a remote but does have RS-232 control, which would work for my setup.

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 10-01-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 AM

What are you currently driving the PM1's with? Just curious