AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 AM

Default left underwhelmed

Hey Guys

have been auditioning speakers to replace my current ones.
One i really wanted to like and the first ones i auditioned were the new 800D
they were been powered by an electrocompaniet amp.
I was left a little underwhelmed and was expecting a little more.
Dont get me wrong, nice midrange and top end..upped and lower midbass had good attack, but seemed to lack in the bottom end.
However, the biggest thing was they sounded slightly sterile and too hifi like.

After reading many glowing reviews on these speakers, i was very keen on them.

Is it a case of a mismatch speaker amp combo or could it be something else.
I heard other speakers in the same room, like the wilsons and focal, and both worked very well.

I have always loved B&W speakers, and as much as i wanted to like these, i am now not too sure.

Shame because we can only go by what we hear n store at the time, and from that, i am left not wanting to give them a shot and try to figure out what will make them sing.

Now i am sure, they must perform better then what i heard, so i ask here, have any of you guys auditioned them, didnt like them, and then re-audition with something else and fall in love.

Could the room itself play a big roll, and what size room would one recommend for them.

Sorry for the long winded post, just after some suggestions and ideas.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 AM

Had the same experience.
As good as the 802 lineage is...so disappointing is the 800 lineage.
ProAc, another British brand, offers fine speakers within the same pricerange...I'm very happy with them, and never looked back

Last edited by JemHadar; 08-09-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Just Pure Lucky

What amp and size of your room?

Are these, as listed in your profile, what you'd be using: 2 x SGR EL 15s running my tweeters and mids and 2 x SGR EL30s running the twin 10's

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Down Under

I too think your instinct serves you well.
You are obviously a very experienced listener.I went through this recently and found the Sasha met my needs.Nothing is perfect,but there are lots of great choices out there.
Have fun choosing!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 AM

Sounds like you were down in Camberwell. I can guess which shop it was from the equipment you describe You were only 2-3km from my house - should have given me a call! You still have my number?

In any case, you know my feelings towards B&W. I have never been impressed with any of them, except for the Nautilus snails. The salespeople at that shop you went to are pretty honest, even they would agree with what you said. How do I know? That's what they said to me

If you are after a sound which is substantially different to what you have, why not try a different speaker technology? Panels or horns? I would suggest you make a pilgrimage to Sydney and visit a few people there. For a start, listen to some Avantgardes and make sure you hear a good Tannoy Westminister.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Make sure Amfibius barbeques something for you when you visit! He knows how to cook.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM

I was looking at 803Ds, but had the same experience. I was wanting to upgrade from my current (at the time) B&Ws. Luckily for me, the same store had Sonus Fabers in the same room. I loved the sound and came home with Cremona Ms and haven't looked back. As everyone on this board says, audition and let your ears decide. Happy Shopping!

Last edited by Nuz1; 08-09-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
What amp and size of your room?

Are these, as listed in your profile, what you'd be using: 2 x SGR EL 15s running my tweeters and mids and 2 x SGR EL30s running the twin 10's

Bob
At the time of auditioning the amp used was an electrocompaniet 250wrms amp.
Room was at a guess i would say 7mtrs by 6mtrs
If these were the speaker of choice, the amps i was looking at were a pair of mcintosh mc501, but to hear the combo together somewhere here in Aus is very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
Sounds like you were down in Camberwell. I can guess which shop it was from the equipment you describe You were only 2-3km from my house - should have given me a call! You still have my number?

In any case, you know my feelings towards B&W. I have never been impressed with any of them, except for the Nautilus snails. The salespeople at that shop you went to are pretty honest, even they would agree with what you said. How do I know? That's what they said to me

If you are after a sound which is substantially different to what you have, why not try a different speaker technology? Panels or horns? I would suggest you make a pilgrimage to Sydney and visit a few people there. For a start, listen to some Avantgardes and make sure you hear a good Tannoy Westminister.
Hey Keith, i was with someone else at the time, but will be revisiting the store soonish.
The plan is to also listen to some horns and some panels.
Have already auditioned some Analysis, next i want to audition some avangarde.

I am not too sure on horns though, i do like what they do with certain music, but because i listen to such a wide variety, not sure they will be for me.

But there is only one way to find out.

Next time i am out that way, will give you a call
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM

I love to hear the views of 'normal' people regarding the gear they hear or own. Many professional reviewers have guided me into auditioning equipment which I just plain dislike. I really wonder about professional reviews as they sometimes basically give the impression that everything's wonderful. Or they say things like, "the speaker was relentlessly revealing, but in no way harsh or etched." Um.

Normal folks usually give me more insightful feedback about what they think, which helps me a lot.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Interesting post.

I saved up and waited for a minty, used set of 800D's (1st gen) to come around for local sale.

There is a lot to a speaker purchase:

Subjective:

- Sound
- Design and look

Factual:

- Build, fit and finish
- How esoteric - easy to find parts and repair in 10 years? 20 years?
- Price new
- Strength of used market/demand on re-sale
- Ancillary gear required to drive them

I felt the B&W's compared quite nicely at the price - when all factors are considered. They sound (and look) great in my living room!

Would love to hear more about the pros and the cons to your ears...

Best,

Matt