AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 08-05-2012, 04:17 AM

I'm of the same opinion Bob & I also think that it is general across the board of everyday life of what you are referring to. I miss integrity.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE
---Then, personal preference takes precedence over universal reference. ...In reply to post #97, mostly.
I guess so?

Just an example...

When I asked the CEO of our country's leading cinema chain why they build such cheap, rubbish auditoriums/sound systems, his answer was... "for the 4% of the population who notice the difference, it's not worth it".

I wish people (particularly in this country) would take more pride in what they do rather than to make statements to their customer as above!

What do you do?
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Last edited by thxthx; 08-05-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE

-----Which music format, download I guess?
And the content from the moving picture soundtrack; which is different than in the film itself of course.

* Me, it's what plays in the Cinema Theaters, and also what comes from the Blu-ray movies that I was referring to, sound wise.
And I know I'm right as I'm a Cinema fanatic and I just know that the movie sound recording engineers simply don't have enough time to do the right (good) job; in vast general. Plus the directors who are "sound" conscious, and have a good grip on real surround envelopment, with clear dialog, are very few and between ...
Not all of them take the time to sit down and invest precious attention to their films, sound wise. Or they think they do; but they don't!

Of course it is my opinion, but I think I'm on the right track here.
When you have a good quality soundtrack or from a commercial venue, or at home from a Blu-ray movie, we know it. ...And we also know that proper audio settings were also adjusted in that commercial Theater.

It is easier to know for sure at home, in our own Home Theaters.
...Because we are already set at the very best of our knowledge.
And when one flick sounds right; we'll notice it right away. ...And same for the bad ones. ...Me anyway, I know; I can put myself behind the sound mixing console and notice what's going on. I trust my ears pretty good. ...And my own experience as well.
Agreed. I was referring to the download from HDTRACKS.
My wife and I viewed the movie this afternoon for the first time and found the Bane character very hard to understand much
of the time and the upper frequencies overall (especially during gun fire, etc.) to be extremely hot and verging on painful.
Great movie, but was very disappointed in the theatre sound.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 AM

---Can't wait for the Blu-ray release of 'The Dark Knight Rises', and hear for myself, from my own home theater sound system,
what that audio transfer will sound like.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
---Can't wait for the Blu-ray release of 'The Dark Knight Rises', and hear for myself, from my own home theater sound system,
what that audio transfer will sound like.
I agree! It sounds like I didn't have as much trouble hearing and understanding Bane as a few others. But the bluray is definitely something I am very much looking forward to. Looks like a projected release is in December. Just in time for the holiday.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:06 PM

---DTS-HD MA 7.1 hopefully. ...But with WB probably only 5.1 anyway.

By the way, Warner Brothers studios is not the very best movie studio for investing in high res sound quality.
...And same for their music record label.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 08-06-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: ...
Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
---DTS-HD MA 7.1 hopefully. ...But with WB probably only 5.1 anyway.

By the way, Warner Brothers studios is not the very best movie studio for investing in high res sound quality.
...And same for their music record label.
Which studio(s) do you prefer, Bob? I have not really paid close attention to which studios do well (outside of Pixar). I should certainly start......

I will keep my fingers crossed for your 7 channels. Though, I will only need the 5.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 PM

---In my opinion Disney (including PIXAR) is the best studio for sound quality in their films.

Dreamworks is also good.

Lions Gate (7.1), Columbia, Fox, Paramount, would be next.

Then Universal; not all of them though.

WB is last (but there are few exceptions).

Criterion is in another bracket with several mono & stereo Classics. They do a very good job in their audio transfer.

** This is in general. ...And then you have the people behind the mixing consoles (movie sound recording engineers), like the ones working at Skywalker Ranch studios for example, like Gary Roger Rydstrom, and others working at Disney sound studios of course. Abbey Road studios is another one. ...But it is the people with the right fingers touch who make all the difference at the end; plus their expertise in sound design realism (go get those sounds outside in real nature), and who are in good communication with the film directors.
But most important: taking the time to do it right! Because it cost money to take the time, and time often slows down the release of big blockbuster movies at the Theater venues. ...Time is money, and true Sound Art is not a priority for most of these studios, if you know what I mean.

I know few recording movie sound engineers myself, and read a lot of articles on this very subject, and that is what I found out in general.
And the proof of the pudding is in the listening.

Is that making sense to you?

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 08-06-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: couple typos
Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Bob, I am definitely right with you. I can certainly see how audio takes a back seat on the studios' priority list with release dates and just money in general. I think we all here could agree with wishing that studios would take the right amount of time and money to making solid transfers. It certainly makes for a better movie experience.

What are some of your favorite movies, sound-wise?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 PM

---Oh there are several, some I already mentioned before.

One that I truly luv is 'Tron - Legacy'. ...Disney Studios (7.1).

All Disney Blu-ray movie titles are pretty well done compared to other studios, because they do attend to the sound design transfer quality on their Blu-rays.

And I like as I also said before, 'The Dark Knight' which has an excellent music soundtrack as well. ...WB Studios (mainly for Hans Zimmer's music ambiance and all that Batman jazz ...) ...I'm a huge Hans Zimmer's music fan!

'Master and Commander', 'Flight of the Phoenix', 'Live Free or Die Hard' = FOX Studios.

[And there are too many for me to enumerate here, but only in parts because some scenes are awesome sound wise, but not for the entire running time of the movie. And that's what I'm looking for; for the full movie and not just some specific scenes.]

'War of the Worlds', 'Collateral', 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Gladiator' = Dreamworks/Paramount Studios.

'Black Hawk Down', 'The Social Network', 'Redbelt', 'Vantage Point' = Columbia Studios.

---And ...

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 08-06-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typos