AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 02-28-2019, 05:21 PM

Default Focal Maestro

Looking at replacing my Sopra 2 speakers, which i've enjoyed for a few years.
Im very happy with the speakers, but want to move to the next level.

Second hand Maestros are looking very tempting, so if you have any experience big or small, with the Maestros please let me know.
Comparisons from other Focal models like Sopras/Scala/Stella or similiar speakers, placement experience etc.

I am unable to find a dealer to listen to the speakers locally, so would travel to another country.

Room is 4x15 meters, semi-treated and setup is luxman c/m900 and a lumin streamer. Have no plans to replace that atm.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Whichever speaker you choose out of the Utopia line is going to sound great. I have never heard the Luxman/Focal pairing but I am sure that I should be great.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:16 PM
Go Dawgs

They look really nice too, I would think the Luxman/Focal pairing would be great as well as Jim said above. What color would you go for?

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-28-2019, 07:39 PM

A friend here in Dallas bought the Maestros last year. I am in awe of these speakers.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 03-01-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
Looking at replacing my Sopra 2 speakers, which i've enjoyed for a few years.
Im very happy with the speakers, but want to move to the next level.

Second hand Maestros are looking very tempting, so if you have any experience big or small, with the Maestros please let me know.
Comparisons from other Focal models like Sopras/Scala/Stella or similiar speakers, placement experience etc.

I am unable to find a dealer to listen to the speakers locally, so would travel to another country.

Room is 4x15 meters, semi-treated and setup is luxman c/m900 and a lumin streamer. Have no plans to replace that atm.

Thanks.
It's not clear to me if you're referencing used Maestro Utopia III or used Maestro EVO. In either case, you're moving to speakers without any material compromises in performance. The Sopra line isn't even in the discussion in respect of these speakers.

I own the Maestro Utopia III, moved up from a Scala Utopia III - they're not in the same league, but I have heard that the Scala EVO is much improved.

If you're looking at the Maestro Utopia III (not EVO), you better have a monster amp that doubles down into two ohms or it's going to sound lethargic - I'm not familiar with your Luxman, but it seems to be sufficient based on specs. The Maestro EVO from measurements appears to be easier to drive as they moved back to a three way design and based on Focal presentations, has improvements in the midrange and bass (I don't hear anything lacking in my speakers in that or any other regard so wasn't interested even though I had a trade in option and in any case, prefer the 3.5 way design of my current speakers).

Also, if you want to hear the Maestro Utopia III at its best (which means setting the treble jumper on high), you better have a system with uncompromised treble performance. If not, you'll hear it.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Thanks for chiming in, im only looking at the Maestro Utopia III and not the Evo's....sadly, beggars cant be choosers

I have read about the power hungry Maestros wanting more juice at lower ohms, but im confident that the Luxman will suffice, as I rarely listen at earbleeding high SPL.
One of the very nice features of the C900 preamp is a very delicate tone adjustment I can use just a bit if needed.
If they are not enough, I will reconsider - but I really like the Luxman combo.
Havent thought about gear since I got them.

Bar81, im happy to hear from a Maestro owner also.
How have you placed them, and how is your room in size?
How is your experience with the Sopra line compared to the Utopia?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM

I currently own Maestro EVO and have also heard the Scala EVO, Grande Utopia III, Sopra 3, Sopra 2, and Kanta 2's.

The Utopia line is in a completely different league than the Sopra's so an upgrade even to the Utopia III line would be a great step up. Depending on how long you plan to keep the speaker, may want to consider the Scala EVO. I believe there is enough difference in technology between the generations to consider the newer models.

Edward
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 03-02-2019, 04:53 AM

Room size is 12' by 25' but opens in the back to other rooms in an open plan.

You can see pics of the setup (they're slightly old) and current components on audiogon (same user name).
Old 03-02-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
I currently own Maestro EVO and have also heard the Scala EVO, Grande Utopia III, Sopra 3, Sopra 2, and Kanta 2's.

The Utopia line is in a completely different league than the Sopra's so an upgrade even to the Utopia III line would be a great step up. Depending on how long you plan to keep the speaker, may want to consider the Scala EVO. I believe there is enough difference in technology between the generations to consider the newer models.

Edward

These are the Maestro EVO’s I referred to earlier. Ed’s Focal system sounds amazing. Great speaker/room implementation!

Hey Ed!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 03-02-2019, 08:55 PM

I absolutely love mine. Upgraded from Scala V2 (which I still have for rear speakers). I found them a bit more fiddly than the scalas for positioning. I found they work better further from the back wall than the scalas, and with a little more toe-in. Also, I raised the back slightly from level to angle the much higher tweeters down a bit.

The bottom end is insanely good, compared to the scala this is where I notice the biggest improvement. The midrange is buttery smooth, but so was the Scala's. I might have to try boosting the top end with the jumpers as suggested earlier in the thread, but the top end is amazing, as I have come to expect from focals beryllium tweeters. Some folks have complained about them being bright or hot but in my system with a VAC tube preamp I do not find that to be the case at all.