AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
I just love the lack of coloration, detail, and utter realism of ESLs--they simply disappear and leave you the music. I have yet to hear a pair of "box" speakers that offers those traits to such a degree as ESLs. They may be out there, but the price is probably prohibitive! Now, box speakers may play louder/offer more "slam" and often sound better for amplified/electronic music (rock, metal, blues), so part of you choice may come down to your musical preference, too.
Me too. One thing's for sure, if you're a planar fan, you know it. They have a realism that the boxes I've heard just can't match. But it's also true that boxes are a better choice if you're after slam and extension, and as you say, they're more forgiving of poorly-made pop recordings (IMO, the good ones sound better on large planars).
Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Hello, all.

1st time poster but long time (21 years), and current (2 pairs CLSes), Martin Logan owner. I also run a Sanders 10c setup as well which I just got a few weeks ago.

Why ESL for me? They do things (like reproduce plucked instruments and the human voice) like no other speaker design can and that is the type and style of music that seals the deal for me.

As an aside, I have read over this Martin Logan forum and can't help but wonder why all of the Maggie posts in the ML forum? Especially when there is a Maggie sub forum.

Last edited by Pneumonic; 07-16-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma16 View Post
HI All,
First post here. Glad to meet you. I know this is an old thread but maybe I can add something useful.

I have have had nothing but panel speakers since about 1980. These included Acoustat's, Apogee's (really liked), and finally my current Martin Logan CLS IIA's which are my favorite's by far. I purchased them in 1990 and have no plans to change.

My electronics have gone through many changes over the years ranging from Acoustat, Mark Levinson and several generations of Audio Research. I finally settled on ARC's SP-11 Mk 2 preamp, ARC's D250 Mk 2 Servo power amp (250W per channel) and Aesthetix's Rhea all tube phono preamp. CLS's require absolutely first rate amplification.

CLS's are not perfect. As has been stated elsewhere in this thread they are bass shy, can lack dynamic range, and are brutal on amplifiers. But, if these things are fixed, I consider the CLS IIA's to be the best speaker I have heard.

The key to both dynamic range and base response are good sub woofers properly crossed over at the right frequency. Mine are mated with Kinnergetic's SW800 sub's which were specifically designed to work with the CLS IIA's. I have two of them powered by a Mark Levinson NO. 23 amp (400W/chan into the sub's 4 ohm load).

It's my view that the CLS is by far its best with good tube electronics. ARC's stuff is ideal due to their lack of coloration, power delivery, and detail.

All in all, I'm a very happy camper.

Sparky
A man that came to the same conclusion as me. I had the CLS IIz and at the time used valve amplification and a Wadia 860. To me the best sound ever, and I still lust after it. I replaced them with Monoliths, which to my mind were CLS II panels with a 15 inch woofer crossed over at 150 Hz, so in essence a full range ESL, with a "sub", which allowed fuller bass, but without the Xover, phase shifts in the critical music area. As has already been mentioned they can sound bright and ancillary equipment has to be well chosen, including cables, and room treatment. I think the advantage of ESL is no Xover , fast, line source, fill s the room, sound doesn't appear to come from a box superb imaging, accurate, and works extremely well with small ensembles, vocals , jazz, but I found orchestras and rock music just didn't cut it. I also found I could only listen to my best recordings. I despair now that stats are coming out with 3 way Xovers, and several panels 1 for each frequency range i.e.. losing the benefits of a panel and introducing many of the disadvantages of a 3 way cone speaker.
As another mentioned the PMC IB2 is just phenomenal, and somewhat under rated or under the radar. At the moment I am enjoying 802Di's and find I can listen to all types of music and enjoy. But that second system with CLS IIz's and some serious valves for my critical listening to jazz, female vocal and chamber music, still is in the back of my mind. If I can find a pair. I have "temporarily" changed camps, but may find my way back to panels one day. If a great pair of CLS II's become available.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Default ESL's are delicate, effortless and aurally transparent...

Hi to all....I am a long time panel-type guy, but a first time poster.

My first "real" system speakers were ESS Heil AMT-3 ("RockMonitors"), which were purchased in the early '70's. Not strictly a panel, these were a hybrid design with each floor stander containing 2-10" drivers, a 5" (or perhaps 6" mid-range driver) with the dipolar radiating AMT (Air Motion Transformer) mounted on top.

I replaced the Heil's with Apogee Stages.

The Stages were replaced by Martin Logan reQuests.

The reQuests were replaced about 11-years ago with Soundlab M1's and later (2013), with Soundlab M1PX's with the upgraded "PX" panel, optional Hot Rod Back Plate, and the recently released & optional Consummate Toroidal Transformer.

Tomorrow, I plan on placing an order for Martin Logan’s which will be used in the H/T room. The Logan’s will be replacing Energy Veritas 2.3 bookshelf's.

I will be using a pair of M/L Theos for (Front) Left and Right; a Stage X Center, and Electromotion ESL's as sides. Rears will remain Energy surrounds that can be switched between dipolar or bipolar outputs.

After performing an audition of the Electromotion ESL's, I'm excited about returning to the Martin Logan ESL fold, as least in the H/T room.

I owned the Soundlab M1’s for approximately 11-years. Considering an upgrade, or a different speaker for the 2-channel room, my son and I attended the 2012 RMAF. We listened to all the speakers present at the show. However, we kept gravitating back to open baffles, panels, horns, and ESL speakers. We found that these sorts of speakers provide an effortless output that has 100% appeal, at least for our ears. Hence, I ordered the new M1PX’s mentioned above.

So, I’m obviously in agreement with the Soundlab post made earlier in this thread by MtnHam.

Once heard and lived-with, the coherence provided by a full-range electrostatic, is quite hard to do without! One may wonder whether the bass output of a stat panel was sufficient sans a sub, but indeed with the Soundlab’s it is. In fact, the accurate, quick bass produced is quite a treat. There’s nothing like hearing a drum head reproduced by a stat. And of course, the mid-range of a stat, has always been hard to beat.

The fairly new Soundlab “PX” panel, optional HotRod electronics, and Consummate Transformer changes a once very difficult-to-drive speaker to one that is much more amp friendly.

Nevertheless, the Soundlabs as I found my former M/L reQuests to be, marry quite well with tubes.

In fact, my first foray into tubes on the reQuests was quit the ear opening experience. Verses the Aragon 4004 MkII amp that I was using, the Audio Research VT100’s that I auditioned, made a high-end amp believer out of me. While I choose to purchase a Mark Levinson 336 ss amp for the reQuests, I later replaced it for use with my Soundlabs, with a Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) pair of JL1 tube monoblocks.

Since then, I have upgraded the JL1 CAT’s to JL3 Signature Mono’s. For me, these are the quintessential keeper for life amps. The only exception to that conclusion is their care and feeding. Forty-tubes makes for an expense now and then and their weight of 190lb. each, makes for the help of 3-men and 2-boys to move them.

At any rate, I’m happy to find the M/L portion of this friendly forum and look forward to some fun reads and information sharing.

Additional 2-Channel Room Equipment (to the Soundlabs & CAT’s):
Wavelength Crimson USB DAC; Mac Mini PC; PureMusic Software; iPad Remote; Galibier Quattro Turntable with Tri-Planar Tonearm and Dynavector XV-1s Cartridge; Aria Audio WV5-XL Full-Range Preamp; Synergistic Research Cables
Additional H/T Room Equipment:
Oppo BP83 Blu-Ray; Marantz AV8801 11-Channel Pre-pro; Aragon 2007 7-Channel amp; Panasonic 65” Plasma