AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
No...it generally means how well designed and implemented is the power supply.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
No...it generally means how well designed and implemented is the power supply.
Usually, class A being more expensive to implement leads to higher quality products (and more expensive).

And this doesn't mean that you don't have excellent A/B amps that can perform as well.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Beautiful speakers and nice pictures! Looks perfect in your room. Sounds perfect to, I can imagine.
Congrats!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Beautiful speakers and nice pictures! Looks perfect in your room. Sounds perfect to, I can imagine. Congrats!
Thank you!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 AM

Oh dear, this thread has me thinking dangerous thoughts! My room is genuinely small (20'l x 9.25'w x 8'h) and I always assumed that Elipsas would be out of the question. However, there are a pair of Elipsa SEs available at an overseas dealer (I'm in Ireland) for a price that I can afford and now I'm wondering...

Is it possible to put these speakers REALLY close to side walls? I listen along the length of the room, so I can give as much space behind as they need but I've very little to play with at the sides. Room is treated (probably over-treated tbh) with GIK panels, and it's a dedicated room so there are options, but I can't change the dimensions. Would I be wasting my time with the Elipsa SE? I'll obviously make sure to listen to them before a purchase, but it's unlikely in the extreme that I'll be able to arrange a home dem. Would love the thoughts of the experts here.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diapason View Post
Oh dear, this thread has me thinking dangerous thoughts! My room is genuinely small (20'l x 9.25'w x 8'h) and I always assumed that Elipsas would be out of the question. However, there are a pair of Elipsa SEs available at an overseas dealer (I'm in Ireland) for a price that I can afford and now I'm wondering... Is it possible to put these speakers REALLY close to side walls? I listen along the length of the room, so I can give as much space behind as they need but I've very little to play with at the sides. Room is treated (probably over-treated tbh) with GIK panels, and it's a dedicated room so there are options, but I can't change the dimensions. Would I be wasting my time with the Elipsa SE? I'll obviously make sure to listen to them before a purchase, but it's unlikely in the extreme that I'll be able to arrange a home dem. Would love the thoughts of the experts here.
I would message Ivan or Bill (Metaphacts) and see what they have to say.
Hopefully someone else can help you out too...
Old 08-18-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Oh dear, this thread has me thinking dangerous thoughts! My room is genuinely small (20'l x 9.25'w x 8'h) and I always assumed that Elipsas would be out of the question. However, there are a pair of Elipsa SEs available at an overseas dealer (I'm in Ireland) for a price that I can afford and now I'm wondering...

Is it possible to put these speakers REALLY close to side walls? I listen along the length of the room, so I can give as much space behind as they need but I've very little to play with at the sides. Room is treated (probably over-treated tbh) with GIK panels, and it's a dedicated room so there are options, but I can't change the dimensions. Would I be wasting my time with the Elipsa SE? I'll obviously make sure to listen to them before a purchase, but it's unlikely in the extreme that I'll be able to arrange a home dem. Would love the thoughts of the experts here.
Hi Diapason. As you can see from the first few posts on this thread, I was hesitant at first as well. My room definitely under the small/medium category (more "small" than "medium", to be honest), and in fact I currently have the Elipsas only about 2 feet from the left side wall (next to an Ikea bookshelf and the room's only window) and not even a feet from the right side wall, which is 100% covered with DVD and BD cases. I have no problems whatsoever with reflections, although I do tend and like to listen in a relatively near-field manner. I would be more concerned with bass overload than side reflections in the case of the Elipsa playing in a small room, but since you mentioned that you are able to give them as much breathing room as needed behind them, then that is good news as well. Check out the photos I posted some pages ago to have a better idea of how I have them set-up in my room. And, for the record, the room is a lot smaller in real life compared to what the photos would lead you to believe.

Of course, listening level and music type preferences come into play as well, but I would dare say that you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 AM

Thank you very much, gentlemen.

As soon as I'm allowed to send PMs I'll be on to Bill immediately, since I can't think of anybody who knows more about SF set-up than he. It's funny, I actually bought the Rob Wasserman Duets album several years ago simply because I'd seen it referred to in so many reviews where Bill had done the installation. If he lived anywhere nearer Dublin I'd be trying to tempt him in to my man cave!

Esteban, your experience (and your photos) are what have prompted me to consider the Elipsas, and a bit of googling suggests that you're not the only person who thinks they work well in smaller rooms. You're quite correct that bass overload is my fear more than first reflection-related imaging problems, etc., and my room is a concrete box which probably makes it even more challenging. Still, the problem I have with my current system (speakers are Kharma CRM 3.2FE) is a lack of scale and bass weight, so I'm definitely looking for something with more warmth and oomph from upper bass on down. Having heard my friend's Amati Futuras I'm completely captivated by the SF sound, so I suspect I'll end up with something from the stable no matter what. If not Elipsas, perhaps Olympica III.

Actually, I already have some SF speakers in a different room, although they're of a different vintage: a pair of Sonus Faber Signums. I have to say, they also sound gorgeous...
Old 10-13-2015, 12:55 PM

I'm bumping this because I'm coming dangerously close to buying a pair of (used) Elipsa REDs without even hearing them, never mind hearing them in my room. Is this crazy behaviour?

Can anyone with the knowledge give me some idea how the Elipsa SE compares sonically to the Amati Futura? I'm very familiar with the latter, and if I could get "close" to that sound I'd be very happy. There's nowhere locally to dem the Elipsas, and hearing them would involve flights and a day off work that I can't really spare at the moment.

I think I need somebody to talk some sense into me!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
I'm bumping this because I'm coming dangerously close to buying a pair of (used) Elipsa REDs without even hearing them, never mind hearing them in my room. Is this crazy behaviour?

Can anyone with the knowledge give me some idea how the Elipsa SE compares sonically to the Amati Futura? I'm very familiar with the latter, and if I could get "close" to that sound I'd be very happy. There's nowhere locally to dem the Elipsas, and hearing them would involve flights and a day off work that I can't really spare at the moment.

I think I need somebody to talk some sense into me!
Hello Diapason,

Have you ever heard Ellipsas?
They are good speakers, but they might not be to your liking if you prefer a 'harder' sound.
So buying without auditioning might be dangerous.

I do like them, and for me they come quite close to Futuras, just a little bit less definition.

Try to hear a pair, and compare to other offerings in the same price category.
After all, this is an investment you will spend a lot of time with!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables