AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
So for the audiophiles that invest much money into playback gear and then still strongly prefer the LIVE experience, the group that claims high end audio can never match neither the electrifying experience of being there among the crowds for the atmosphere, nor the quality of music itself, nor seeing the musicians LIVE, then the question becomes "WHY"? Surely for the obscene amount of money we spend on our gear and very often, one can pretty much travel all over the US if not the world and attend all kinds of LIVE venues for that kind of cash.
So now that I have described the historical event thought process, let's tackle this one. A great system allows us to revisit and compare/contrast historical events. Again for me musical communication must come first - sonic purity is useless without it.

I'm a huge Sam Cooke fan. I won't be seeing him live any time soon. But thanks to recordings, if your system is up to it, Sam can take you to a moment in time. When Sam is recorded live at the Harlem Square Club, he is singing to his crowd. He is accepted, adored. When he sings at the Copacabana, it's a different crowd, a different world, a different Sam. The emotion at the HSC is every bit as deep as the Copacabana but Sam's performance is completely different at the Copa - will he be able to get over with an audience that has never been his? It smashes through the performance and demands you to pay attention. Yes a change is gonna come. The kicker is both recordings aren't very good, But I have a choice - I can hear Sam or not. Easy answer.

So I have a bar for a home system every bit as high as with live music. All the craziness I go through to set up speakers speaks to this desire. It is completely unfair to the home system because it can never be. I am asking it to connect me to the musician(s) message at that point in time as if I was there. Most hifi systems fail the test miserably. Those that can get in the ballpark are really special.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Julian,

You're just too old to hear the coughing and the cell phones! c

howie
I'm a new member so I didn't want to say that!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
I'm a new member so I didn't want to say that!

Well you just DID!

Good luck!

howie
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 PM

For me, it's all about the event. Meeting my friends in the parking lot prior to the concert. Having a couple of beverages and doing some crowd watching. Going into the venue and talking to people you would never talk to in an ordinary day. Everyone pumped up about seeing whoever is playing. Super energy levels in the building. The anticipation and excitement when the house lights go down. The first feedback from the guitar. Incredible!

My ultimate fantasy would be to see and feel what it is like to be the lead singer for a rock band and walk out on stage with 80,000 people screaming. I can't even imagine what that would be like!

Sound quality to me is secondary. I went to Live Aid in Philly in 1985. Anyone who ever went to a concert at JFK can tell you that the stadium was not designed to host concerts. 90,000 screaming fans, bands ranging from heavy metal to rap. Trust me, it wasn't the sound system that made the event, instead it was the energy and sheer power of the bands (who all played for free). Definitely in the top 10 days of my life.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post

Sound quality to me is secondary. I went to Live Aid in Philly in 1985. Anyone who ever went to a concert at JFK can tell you that the stadium was not designed to host concerts. 90,000 screaming fans, bands ranging from heavy metal to rap. Trust me, it wasn't the sound system that made the event, instead it was the energy and sheer power of the bands (who all played for free). Definitely in the top 10 days of my life.

Dylan and the Dead at JFK

Re:your Avatar - If you're not a Gator..
Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 AM

I can't compare the live experience with that of home audio. I love both. For me, they are completely different. I live in a music town. Minneapolis has a world class orchestra, a fantastic chamber orchestra, and a vibrant music scene. I just heard Hugh Masekala at The Dakota, an awesome venue. First Avenue has launched a few artists in its day. I drive by Paisly Park every day on the way to work.

Live is live. Recorded is recorded. I love both. But I just can't compare them.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I can't compare the live experience with that of home audio. I love both. For me, they are completely different. I live in a music town. Minneapolis has a world class orchestra, a fantastic chamber orchestra, and a vibrant music scene. I just heard Hugh Masekala at The Dakota, an awesome venue. First Avenue has launched a few artists in its day. I drive by Paisly Park every day on the way to work.

Live is live. Recorded is recorded. I love both. But I just can't compare them.

Tom
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Julian,

You're just too old to hear the coughing and the cell phones! c

howie
Howie
I must be really old too. I average going to the movies once every week, I have season tickets to the theater and I go to the symphony a couple times per season. In the last three years I have never heard a cell phone go off in any of these venues.

Jim
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Howie
I must be really old too. I average going to the movies once every week, I have season tickets to the theater and I go to the symphony a couple times per season. In the last three years I have never heard a cell phone go off in any of these venues.

Jim
I don't know where you live, but it seems there isn't any cell phone service in your locale.

. . . or maybe the theaters near you have all installed cell phone jammers.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Howie

Jim
To be honest Jim,neither have I.

The last time I was in the cinema and someone decided to talk on their cellphone...they quickly got over 300Lbs of extremely irate skinhead in their face.

I have never seen anyone hang up so quickly