AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 03-18-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGale View Post
Are you selling your speakers on Audiogon? Did not have them for long if that is the case.
Yeah about a month after buying them I had some unexpected personal stuff pop up, resulting in me putting my house on the market. I'm moving back into city so won't have a good space for them l, so thought I'd see if any interest. If not, I'll just annoy my neighbors 😜
Old 05-10-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegt3 View Post
I would never, ever buy a speaker based only on a magazine review, no matter how positive the review. Is there ever such a thing as a bad review?

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've read a rave review of a high-priced speaker, only to be very disappointed when I auditioned the speaker at a dealer. I have learned to trust my own ears far more than any magazine review.
Wise words. I'm new to this hobby and I have yet to see an outright honest review that is truly critical of the flaws and shortcomings of a particular speaker.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviemike View Post
Thank you. I had the 1038be for 3 years and now the sopra 3. I also have the focal elear headphones so I'm a fan.

Can you elaborate more on improvements over 1038? I too had 1038 for about 2 lovely years and always intrigued by No. 3 (now I have Magico S3).
Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Couldn't Agree More

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegt3 View Post
I would never, ever buy a speaker based only on a magazine review, no matter how positive the review. Is there ever such a thing as a bad review?

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've read a rave review of a high-priced speaker, only to be very disappointed when I auditioned the speaker at a dealer. I have learned to trust my own ears far more than any magazine review.
In my search for new speakers, I auditioned several excellent models, though excellent, were not "my cup of tea" so to speak. I think we all hear differently
and though one person might rave about a such-and-such speaker, it might not sound good to another. One thing about some opinions we might read, some people feel that what sounds good to them is "right", and if you don't agree with their opinions, your choices are "wrong".
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling