AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Larry.......Uh oh! I have my backup on a 1TB USB 2.0 hard drive. I made the backup on my Windows 7 desktop that is network connected to the MS750 via a wired Ethernet connection from my router. I still own an older Sony Vaio laptop that has XP as it's operating system but the USB ports are 1.0. Will I be able to access the import directory from my Win7 desktop for the backup installation. I don't believe XP supports USB 2.0.

I guess the worst case scenario would be to reinstall all my CD's by hand like I did in the beginning. I still have all my CD's so it could be done.
That's still a pretty "worst case." It took me a full year to copy 2000 CD's onto a computer so I could play them all in my office. I pledged to myself that every time I walked by the computer room, I would put another CD in to copy. It wasn't fun. HD back-ups are good!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Learning to Listen

Henry and Dan.... What a great story! Congrats all around.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 PM

Dan… Were you able to get your files copied back over to your MS750? Are you back up and running? On a side note, how would you compare the music coming from your MS750 to the music coming from a W4S modified SONOS? Obviously, the DAC in your Esoteric sounds much better than the DAC in the MS750.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
Dan… Were you able to get your files copied back over to your MS750? Are you back up and running? On a side note, how would you compare the music coming from your MS750 to the music coming from a W4S modified SONOS? Obviously, the DAC in your Esoteric sounds much better than the DAC in the MS750.
Larry.......Yes, my MS750 is up and running. Now I am trying to add the remaining CD's that were not on my backup, recording them one at a time.

I don't have a W4S modified Sonos so I can't compare it to the MS750. I only use my Sonos zone players to audition new music to purchase. I don't stream Internet music as a source of entertainment, strictly for auditioning new music.

As for the DAC in the MS750, I have only listened to it once when the server was brand new. It sounded alright. At the time I had the MCD500 so I used the MS750 coaxial digital output to the MCD500 DAC, then the MCD1100 DAC, and now the Esoteric K-03 DAC. The MS750 sounds fabulous through the K-03 DAC. I am so happy to have the MS750 operating again. I really like this music server. I wouldn't own the Olive 04HD if the MS750 was able to playback files up to 24/192, but even at 16/44.1 playback I like the MS750 very much.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Dan… I am glad to hear it is up and running. I agree, the MS750 is one of my favorite pieces as well. I run a backup on mine every week. TeraCopy will skip the files that are already backed up so it is usually a painless process. Having replaced the power supply and hard drive, you should have several more years of trouble free operation but just in case, the back up is nice to have.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
Dan… I am glad to hear it is up and running. I agree, the MS750 is one of my favorite pieces as well. I run a backup on mine every week. TeraCopy will skip the files that are already backed up so it is usually a painless process. Having replaced the power supply and hard drive, you should have several more years of trouble free operation but just in case, the back up is nice to have.
Larry.......I use Teracopy. It's a good file backup program and free. too. At my rate of new music purchases I will probably perform a backup about once every couple of months. Thanks for you r guidance.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-10-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:42 PM

Is there a good (and free) program like Teracopy for Mac? I already have a back up on my Western Digital my book live NAS of my MS750, but I would like to keep it updated without having copy over the entire HD.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike175gr View Post
Is there a good (and free) program like Teracopy for Mac? I already have a back up on my Western Digital my book live NAS of my MS750, but I would like to keep it updated without having copy over the entire HD.
The two most well-known ones are Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper. I don't think they are free (but we are not talking about big money here though). Having said that, they are very reliable and easy-to-use. And they do incremental back-ups, which is what you are looking for. I use Super Duper myself, just a matter of personal choice.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I have noticed an improvement in my MS750 since I installed the new power supply (thank you Thedo) and the new 750GB hard drive. As I rip CD's back on the hard drive that weren't part of my backup the cover art has downloaded perfectly for every CD so far. Before the MS750 failure I rarely captured cover art from Gracenote and usually wound up having to edit the file in the MS750 and manually add the cover art. I don't have a clue what is different now but cover art is downloading perfectly for me now. The MS750 is operating like a brand new component.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Dan… What happened to MS750 is a new hard drive with very few bad sectors and a fresh O/S install. As the hard drive starts to fail, the O/S has parts of it that no longer function correctly. The O/S does not have any self healing properties the newer ones do. Secondly, the tolerances on the new power supply are much closer to factory spec that what you get with a supply that is gradually failing.

This is all good news. You should get at least a few more years out of it. My first IBM PC worked for me for 20 years and last I knew, was still working at the school I donated it to. That was when IBM had the circuit boards made in Alabama at facility that also did military spec work.

I was told by the guys at McIntosh that to reinstall the O/S with the BIOS install as well is helpful to do once or twice a year as it reformats the drive, marks bad sectors, and overwrites any errors in the O/S.