AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 10-25-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Those PSE 6V6 amps can run only 6V6s, correct? I haven't liked those output tubes in my KT88 SE Inspire.

Not sure about tube rolling the mono-blocks. A question for DH.

I OTOH do much like the 6v6 in my KT amp. To each his own.

I would hope this pair has some good hours on them. These inspire amps just get better and better with age. My 2013 KT has a maturity that my 2016 PSE does not, yet.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't use a 5Z4 with KT88s. KT88s can handle the current and voltage of a GZ34 at 250 mA and 450V. A 5Z4 has only a 125 mA maximum and 350V. Way under powering a KT88.

I do like the vintage 5U4GBs. Many tube amp owners swear by them. The RCA Tall black plate one is pricey, around $100.
Interesting your take on the 5Z4, which to me just sounds perfect with the GL KT-88's. It may yield less power with the KT-88's but that rectifier really makes them sing, sound-wise, and this is compared to my Westinghouse-labelled Amperex Holland 5AR4, no less (both low-Vdrops). Maybe ringing out the max power on the KT-88 does not correlate with sound quality?

I've never tried a 5U4GB. I may do so. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:32 AM

I've never heard 6V6 tubes in any amp other than my Inspire. I've got to believe they sound nicer in other designs. My Inspire is the high output (17wpc) model. Perhaps it overdrives the 6V6? I have 5 sets of 6V6, each a different brand. They all sound midrange forward and overly bright. After 10-15 minutes, I get a headache. This is true even if I use lower-rated rectifiers, like a 5V4GA. Haven't found anyway to tame them.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:00 PM

From another forum:

"According to an older Sams Tube Substitution Handbook I have, the following can be substituted for it:" (edit: referring to the 5Z4)

5Z4G, 5Z4GT, 5Z4GT/G, 5Z4MG, 5AR4, 5CG4, 5V4G, 5V4GA, 5V4GY.

Yet, for some reason the 5AR4 does not make full justice to my KT-88's strapped as Triodes.

BTW, the worst one can do to the popular 6V6 is to wire it as a Triode. In my amp, these sound anemic. I have a 6V6 SEP amp from another manufacturer and those tubes sound much better there, just because of these not being in Triode configuration. That amp can't compete in sound quality with my Inspire in any other Tetrode/Kink-Tetrode or Pentode output combination, by far.

Knowing Dennis's work first hand, I would argue the 6V6 SE Tetrode-configured mono-block approach discussed earlier in this forum is aimed at those enjoying the 6V6 sound by compensating that tube's power limitations through that configuration's livelier dynamics, and by doubling the available power, much like his later PSE designs. Unfortunately, larger Tetrodes/KinkTetrodes and Pentodes, when strapped as Triodes, offer such a mid-range magic in his designs, those other non-Triode configurations can only dream about. I, for one, do not miss any dynamics except maybe when facing complex classical music passages ... But, one can't have everything

Please consider these my own subjective thoughts based on my gear setup. YMMV.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 10-30-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I've never heard 6V6 tubes in any amp other than my Inspire. I've got to believe they sound nicer in other designs. My Inspire is the high output (17wpc) model. Perhaps it overdrives the 6V6? I have 5 sets of 6V6, each a different brand. They all sound midrange forward and overly bright. After 10-15 minutes, I get a headache. This is true even if I use lower-rated rectifiers, like a 5V4GA. Haven't found anyway to tame them.
Have you tried a 5Y3 with them?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Have you tried a 5Y3 with them?

6106 (indirect heated 5y3) is my favorite with the 6v6gt. Wasn't to big a fan of either one till I put them together. Then became one of my favorite combinations.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 PM

Yes, I have tried a 5Y3 with the 6V6s. It was better but still midrange forward, to my ears, in my system. The bass is a little light too, as compared to KT88 / KT120.

Been thinking about getting a 6V6 to EL84 adapter so that I can try them in my Inspire SE EL84 amp.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have tried a 5Y3 with the 6V6s. It was better but still midrange forward, to my ears, in my system. The bass is a little light too, as compared to KT88 / KT120.

Been thinking about getting a 6V6 to EL84 adapter so that I can try them in my Inspire SE EL84 amp.

This talk about 6v6s had me put them in both amps. I hear you and the forward mids. Not to much in my system but more pronounced than the Kt77s that just came out. The imaging is superb though. Much better.

You may want to run that adapter by DH. Beyond my pay grade but it seems those el84 amps are pretty light weight. Maybe 6v6gs. It doesn’t mean I do not want one. He made a few El84PSEs if I recall as well.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Imaging can sometimes sound remarkable when there is more midrange and/or high frequency detail. In my rig, when I use 6V6GT or 6P3S-e output tubes, or sub a 6SL7 in for my 6SN7, the detail and imaging can knock my socks off. Strings, piano, percussion projecting deep & wide images with hair-raising detail. On some cuts the effect is Wow! Wow! Wow!

But then after some minutes, I begin to fatigue of it. And begin to understand the old saying about too much of a good thing. Perhaps if I had darker speakers or an overly damped room, then it would be a good thing.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:05 PM

I'd like to try some Tung-Sol NOS 6AR6 tubes in my Inspire. Back in posts #894 and #898 they were reported as sounding fantastic. What kind of adapter do I need?