AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Rebellious!

From David

Quote:
McIntosh MB100, things that go bump in the night...[if you are an MB100 owner, take note]
At an execrated rate, client side softare/OS is becoming every more predetermine to chat back and forth with server end instructions and push/process updates transparently. Convenient...is it? As with everything, there are pros and cons and there really isn't any absolutes. But there are, of course, situations that an automated script the runs the aforementioned might not behove the end user.

Lets explore a circumstance whereby said script rendered my MB100 into a rather expensive but attractive paper weight.

BACK STORY
I purchased the MB100 upon debut. In fact, I met Sir Charlie R. at House of Music in SF. There both he and Ron C demonstrated the unit. OMG...It's McIntosh. I bought it. Or rather, I ordered it.

When it did arrive, I disassembled the unit and mirrored the stock drives on to two Samsung PRO drives: 128 GB for the OS and 1TB for content. I also updated the RAM with more memory and a lower CL rating to boost performance. I also replaced the power source with a HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply. The one included is a DELL Brick that is noisy...it actually bzzzzzz's. FYI: the Mobo is an AS Rock H61TM-ITX with an Intel® Core™ i3-3220T Processor (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz). This is not a high-end Mobo but it works. The DAC is all McIntosh.

To that point, I also offloaded a bit for bit copy of the OS into a image file. Finally, I explored the system MoBO BIO and took screen shots of each and every page documenting all the settings.

I know this unit inside and out!

THE ISSUE

A couple of weeks ago, Autonomic-Controls pushed what they call a Firmware update. Actually, it's a software update. The MB100 runs Windows 7. [why fix something if it isn't broke and Autonomic-Controls does not disclose what the fixes or, if any, enhancements are]

Thus...without my knowlege or consent they updated my MB100 OS from: 5.1.8368.0 to 5.219572.99. I can roll back, thought. I have the fresh out of the box master drives and can over-write their push.

Then also of a sudden. I got the blue screen of death. Yes, the Windows Blue Screen of Death!
I contacted McIntosh and was direct to call Autonomic-Controls and they told me to call McIntosh and that the system was hosed...with the Blue Screen of Death. Either the board or software is corrupt.

Needless to say, i was disappointed. Since they mentioned corruption I started digging. I Booted into the Mobo Bios and when through each and every screen many times until I noticed something. The MoBo BiOS/ROM had been flashed from HM61TM-ITX L1.50C to H61TM-ITX P1.60.

Two event transpired in short order:
Autonomic-Controls forced a software firmware update: 5.1.8368.0 to 5.219572.99 and,
AS Rock forced a BIOS update: HM61TM-ITX L1.50C to H61TM-ITX P1.60

The BIOS update rendered the MB100 incapable of booting the version of Windows 7 customer configured by Autonomic-Controls.

I contacted McIntosh, Autonomics and AS Rock. No one had or was willing to provide a retroactive BIOS ROM that I could flash, particularly the HM61TM-ITX L1.50C dated circa 2014
With persistance, I took a risk and track down a copy of H61TITX1.30G and refreshed the Mobo Bios and the system is running flawlessly again.
Yes, rolling the Mobo BIOS back a few generations returned the MB100 onto working order.

LESSON LEARNED
As an owner of the MB100 you much arm yourself with a disaster recovery plan:
1. Mirror bit for bit copies of the MB100 drives as they were untouched/new [OS and Content drives]
2. Copy of Mobo Bios ROM [hunt it down!]
3. Admin user id and password protect your Mobo to prevent updates.
As far as I can tell, it appears that there is no one out there that is single an expert at repairing this device. McIntosh will direct you to Autonomic-Controls and Autonomic-Controls will send you back to McIntosh. So, it seems I’m the only what knows the gears of the MB100. Shall I open a McIntosh MB100 hotline? LOL. Seriously, just being funny and if you are having MB100 issues, hit me up. I can help. I love the device and you do have to learn it deeply...but once you do, you will fall in love with the player. It truly does so much.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Racing Hoopties

Good post
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 11-14-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Try both.
Did you ever entertain the idea of upgrading the cpu? I see that i5-3470T would work with this mobo with better performance and the same power consumption/temperature. (35W and 65C) The mobo supports turbo boost (which the stock i3 lacks) and hyper threading (again none on the stock cpu).

I think with a reliable power supply, one can use an i7-3770T for quad core performance at 45W (69.8C).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opened up my unit and looked into the audio board. I found some internal pictures of the autonomic mms-5a to compare. I have some good news!

-MB100 uses one of the usb2.0 headers to grab its audio therefore it uses asynchronous connection. (mms-5a grab its audio from the asrock mobo's analog audio outputs with its inferior dacs)

-usb audio is up/oversampled in sw (still).

-coax/optical output are converts from the usb2.0 header. (MB100 has a built in usb to spdif)

-Asrock mobo uses decent capacitors so the voltage regulation should be fairly clean. A molex from the mobo provides 12V.5V,3.3V to HDD/SSD and the Mcintosh audio board.

-Mcintosh audio board has an isolated dc to dc converter for the op amp section after the dac. Any noise on the mobo and the rest of the unit is blocked.

-analog dc power on the ess chip is common choked using LC components.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:53 AM

I think I am going to do the CPU upgrade. It's simple to do, just can't decide whether to go with an i7 or i5. While at it, I will swap the stock heatsink/fan with a better one as well.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
I think I am going to do the CPU upgrade. It's simple to do, just can't decide whether to go with an i7 or i5. While at it, I will swap the stock heatsink/fan with a better one as well.
Did you do the upgrade? I'm slowly starting to understand the benefits of the MB100.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:29 AM

Default MB100 upgrade downgrade Blu screen

Hi to all.
My MB100 is driving me crazy, I have yet no permission for a new thread and I really no idea where to start from (also my english is not the best as I'm writing you from Italy).
Two years ago I have had some problems solved by autonomic remotely, then I was not able to use my MB100 for numbers of personal reason.
Last week I was finally able to switch it on again.
No way to connect it, also if it was set for fixed IP 192.168.1.113 (and I could reach the web interface) on my TV it was displayed 10.0.0.8 no server connected.
Tried to upgrade. MB100 remained in "processing please wait"... unable to connect anymore I tried with bios. First I upgraded to 1.60.
Disaster, Blu screen check you hard drive... etc etc.
As I am out of guarantee now, I spend the unit, installed the 30gb SSD connected to my pc and checked for virus and everything else.
Nothing changed.
Then I downgraded the bios to 1.30... still nothing.
When I tun it on the ASRock page appears with the options F2 F6 or F11. I can access MoB menu but as I exit, few moments and the blu screen appears....
I also upgraded to Crucial 16gb ram but naturally this couldn't help.
Any of you can give me an help?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Did you do the upgrade? I'm slowly starting to understand the benefits of the MB100.
I ordered an i7-3770T today. I will replace the stock cooler. I am looking at noctua coolers. I will let you know how it goes.

Next on my list is to feed the dac section with a separate 5V rail from the hdplex 200w linear supply. The original design gets its power from the 5V sata output of the motherboard (which goes thru dc to dc conversions from the 19V mains).
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronco69 View Post
Hi to all.
My MB100 is driving me crazy, I have yet no permission for a new thread and I really no idea where to start from (also my english is not the best as I'm writing you from Italy).
Two years ago I have had some problems solved by autonomic remotely, then I was not able to use my MB100 for numbers of personal reason.
Last week I was finally able to switch it on again.
No way to connect it, also if it was set for fixed IP 192.168.1.113 (and I could reach the web interface) on my TV it was displayed 10.0.0.8 no server connected.
Tried to upgrade. MB100 remained in "processing please wait"... unable to connect anymore I tried with bios. First I upgraded to 1.60.
Disaster, Blu screen check you hard drive... etc etc.
As I am out of guarantee now, I spend the unit, installed the 30gb SSD connected to my pc and checked for virus and everything else.
Nothing changed.
Then I downgraded the bios to 1.30... still nothing.
When I tun it on the ASRock page appears with the options F2 F6 or F11. I can access MoB menu but as I exit, few moments and the blu screen appears....
I also upgraded to Crucial 16gb ram but naturally this couldn't help.
Any of you can give me an help?
You need to send it out for OS restore. Unfortunately Mcintosh and/or autonomics doesn’t allow you to restore the unit yourself and won’t provide recovery media. I solved this issue by swapping the original ssd&hdd with two Samsung ssds. I keep the original drives as my recovery media. Whenever the OS craps out, I copy the images from the original drives which brings everything back to factory settings.

Send out your unit for OS restore first. Soon as you get it back, swap the drives(clone them onto better ssds) and keep the originals as your recovery drives for future.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:00 PM

I have the i7-3770T. I ordered a noctua nh-l9i cooler and corsair dual ssd mounting bracket.

I will replace the stock cpu and cooler next week and move both ssds to the left side of the case. A little better breathing room for the motherboard and a much better cooler.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:38 PM

I installed the i7-3770T along with the Noctua NH-L9i cooler (with the low noise adapter). It works really well. I can't tell if it is any faster but it makes a lot less noise.

The only noise I hear is the cabin noise due to the negative pressure. There are a couple of intake inlets on the bottom but they aren't big enough to suck in enough fresh cold air therefore the negative pressure. Installing a couple of small 40mm Noctua fans before these bottom inlets can help reduce the negative pressure and reduce noise. The ASRock H61 itx motherboard has another case fan output which can be used for this. Sound dampening on the top cover is also a good idea.

I also replaced the stock SSD and HDD with a 128GB and a 1TB Samsung 950 Pro drives. I used a Corsair dual SSD bracket to install these (stacked) on the right front side where the original 3.5" HDD was. I replaced the stock SATA cables with Cablemod ModMesh cables. A red one for the 1TB media drive and a blue one (McIntosh blue) for the OS/Sw drive. These changes might help slightly with the air circulation however mostly for cosmetic reasons (better cable managed). Lastly I swapped the stock 2GB ram with 2x8GB Kingston RAM just because.

For the CPU/Cooler upgrade:

You need to remove the stock cooler and CPU. You need to apply thermal compound on the new CPU. You need to remove the motherboard to secure the new Noctua Cooler to the back of the board then install the board back to the case. All together, I got all this done well under half an hour but I have build many computers before. If you have never done this before, it is ok if it takes you a couple of hours. I would say the difficulty level is 6/10.