AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Are you suggesting that the VPI would be a better investment or are you saying that either choice would do well?
Which VPI table are you talking about ??
Old 04-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Are you suggesting that the VPI would be a better investment or are you saying that either choice would do well?
Ray.......The Technics SL-1200 turntable's primary claim to fame is its direct drive platter. It has a high torque motor that comes up to speed in less than 1/5th a rotation, perfect for DJ's and back cueing LP's. It stands up to abuse from DJ's who beat the hell out of the turntable by letting LP's slip, back dragging and rocking LP's on the platter, etc. It has been a well received turntable among many beginners because of its original low price and DJ notoriety. That's all well and good. I'm not saying it is a bad turntable, just nothing special beyond the high torque direct drive motor.

The new Technics turntables are three time the original SL-1200 price. That in and of itself would not be a big deal if the new turntable was three times better than its predecessor but that doesn't seem to be the case when you look at what the new tables offer. With the SL-1200GAE you get a magnesium tonearm instead of the standard aluminum tonearm, a numbered platter, a different color plinth and a few changes to the feet. The standard Technics SL-1200G gets an aluminum tonearm, same as the original. I am reminded of the old Wendy's commercial, "Where's the BEEF?" It is still essentially the same SL-1200 of yesterday with only minor changes and a huge price increase. I just don't see the value when comparing it to many other turntables at $4k and less that offer a more refined playback system. I can only speak for myself so don't let my opinion sway anyone. I am sure there are plenty of people who think the new Technics SL-1200G and SL-1200GAE are the cat's meow. No doubt Technics will sell a boat load on them.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-04-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ray.......The Technics SL-1200 turntable's primary claim to fame is its direct drive platter. It has a high torque motor that comes up to speed in less than 1/5th a rotation, perfect for DJ's and back cueing LP's. It stands up to abuse from DJ's who beat the hell out of the turntable by letting LP's slip, back dragging and rocking LP's on the platter, etc. It has been a well received turntable among many beginners because of its original low price and DJ notoriety. That's all well and good. I'm not saying it is a bad turntable, just nothing special beyond the high torque direct drive motor. The new Technics turntables are three time the original SL-1200 price. That in and of itself would not be a big deal if the new turntable was three times better than its predecessor but that doesn't seem to be the case when you look at what the new tables offer. With the SL-1200GAE you get a magnesium tonearm instead of the standard aluminum tonearm, a numbered platter, a different color plinth and a few changes to the feet. The standard Technics SL-1200G gets an aluminum tonearm, same as the original. I am reminded of the old Wendy's commercial, "Where's the BEEF?" It is still essentially the same SL-1200 of yesterday with only minor changes and a huge price increase. I just don't see the value when comparing it to many other turntables at $4k and less that offer a more refined playback system. I can only speak for myself so don't let my opinion sway anyone. I am sure there are plenty of people who think the new Technics SL-1200G and SL-1200GAE are the cat's meow. No doubt Technics will sell a boat load on them.
Excellent post. Thanks for the education.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 PM

gone ............ in under 30 minutes !

First run of new Technics SL-1200 sells out in under 30 minutes
Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 AM

I thought so...
Old 05-08-2016, 01:59 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Try to get listening time on a higher end analog set-up to gain a sense of what is possible with the medium.

Vinyl means a turntable, tonearm, cartridge, phono-stage, interconnects and of course records.

Take a look at the VPI Nomad with built-in phono stage. It's not a long term table but will get you off the ground. Comes set-up and ready to go. Make sure you get a record brush and some means for record cleaning.

A step-up would be the Clearaudio Concept Turntable w/ Verify Tonearm. You'll need a phono-stage

Last edited by tima; 05-08-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:20 AM

I had a technics sl1200 and replaced it with the same tt Dan has and SME 309 TA. The sl1200 had a lot of noise during quiet passages, did not off much bass atleast the way mine was set up. I thought about modifying it but in the end I am happy that I did not try to put lipstick on a pig. You have better choices at 4k.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Just heard one of these yesterday and don't be fooled - it's a HUGE step up from the DJ SL-1200s. The soundstage wasn't quite there for me, but that may have been the inexpensive Ortofon Black they had mounted. But "PRAT" was right on. In terms of new features, the motor is all new and eliminates clogging. Definitely worth checking out at the price.

Last edited by BillK; 05-14-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
You have better choices at 4k.
wasn't it just the early release 'SE' that was @ 4k ? I thought regular production was closer to 2k ?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
wasn't it just the early release 'SE' that was @ 4k ? I thought regular production was closer to 2k ?
No; the limited edition table and the full production SL-1200G are the exact same price, $4K.

Right now it looks like there might be a few slight differences other than the lack of the numbered plate on the G, but I've been told they may stick with the magnesium tonearm after all.

The feet are a bit cost reduced on the G as well.