AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 02-21-2015, 03:17 AM

Default Linn TT Owners - Tell us your Story

Hello guys, here is a report on my recent change to a Linn LP12 Majik TT with basic Project 9CC tone arm, standard power supply and a friends borrowed DynaVector cart (the Adikt did not cut it for me). The move was almost on a lark based on the strong recommendation of my dealer and another audiophile buddy who owns a Linn. It happened while in my dealer's shop ordering a Lyra Delos for my Project Perspex6 to replace the Sumiko BlackBird cart I've been spinning with for more than 5 years. It was time for improvement and things seemed to be getting tired on my current kit.

The Linn came home with me although there was a fair deal of skepticism based on my reading and conversations from people who own them discussing how they Linn TT component upgraded their way to nirvana. It was the thought of the upgrade path that gave me fits. I did not want to sacrifice quality sounds (my Project / Sumiko combo is no slouch) while saving coins to pay for what can be very expensive upgrades. Everyone said the sound would be different but that I would love it, just give it a while and play about 12 to 15 albums before making judgement. They were right, it is an awesome sound! Different because it does not provide the deeper, more gripping bass but it was solid and deep enough (more than expected). It is full of detail but does not image in the same way where each instrument stands individually but rather in a more cohesive "musical" presentation format. They call it "Following the Tune"and it seems to sit very well to me with Jazz and Classical music. It took a while for me to warm up to but let me say it is akin to an acquired taste, like for a fine scotch if all you ever drink is wine. I think I'm hooked on it for good now and can't wait for the upgrade path. It's easy to see why Linn lovers are so adamant. The design is old school all the way, and there is new TT rival designs making major waves but this will work for a while for me although It will be some time before I can get to the big power supply, tone arm, and chassis upgrades. I'd love to hear from Linn owners and their experiences along with any recommendations. Thanks in advance. Olskool

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2614984911.jpg (57.1 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg image-2215632211.jpg (68.2 KB, 501 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 03-20-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: enlarge photos
Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Larry... Nicely Done!

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Larry... Nicely Done!
Thanks Masterlu, Its definitely a work in progress 🎶📈🔨
Old 02-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Hi. I have an 80s Linn LP12 Sondek with Valhalla and Linn Basik LVX tone arm. All Linn. It has a Linn Adikt cartridge and the unit is set up and serviced by a Linn tech. I really like it. It is easy to operate. It looks very nice to me. Most of all, I like the sound. I've had this TT for a couple of years. It started with an Ortofon Bronze cartridge. Shortly after I got it, I took the TT to the Linn tech and he really tuned it up. He put new springs, bolts, new armboard, did something to the tonearm, rebuilt the Valhalla (it needed it), adjusted and made it as good as it could be. Both the Ortofon Bronze and the Linn Adikt sound nice, to me. I would like to hear some other cartridges. It's a bit challenging to compare other cartridges when they are in different systems than mine... and they can be expensive!
Right now, I'm listening to Peter Green - Man of the World - the Anthology 1968-1983, on the Earmark label.
I know there are some nicer TTs than mine out there, but I'm quite pleased and proud of my LP12.
I also have another LP12 sitting beside me. I am thinking about trading mine, with a few bucks, for this one. This one has the later Circus and Lingo 1. It has an Alphason HR 100S tone arm. Kinda nifty looking. It is in nice condition. But my current LP12 is sounding so nice right now, that I am beginning to reconsider the trade. I am planning to see the Linn tech this week and see what the Alphason/LP12 needs. The Linn tech says it's an upgrade that should be noticeable. Whew! My mind wanders about some of the amazing TTs out there.
I don't know very much about cartridges. I need to learn.
My system is McIntosh with a C2300 pre, which has nice phono stages.
Your Linn looks spectacular! So does all your gear!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9802.jpg (94.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9804.jpg (99.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:36 PM

I've recently purchased the AMG V12, but I could not let my LP12 go. So, I put both to use!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgone View Post
Hi. I have an 80s Linn LP12 Sondek with Valhalla and Linn Basik LVX tone arm. All Linn. It has a Linn Adikt cartridge and the unit is set up and serviced by a Linn tech. I really like it. It is easy to operate. It looks very nice to me. Most of all, I like the sound. I've had this TT for a couple of years. It started with an Ortofon Bronze cartridge. Shortly after I got it, I took the TT to the Linn tech and he really tuned it up. He put new springs, bolts, new armboard, did something to the tonearm, rebuilt the Valhalla (it needed it), adjusted and made it as good as it could be. Both the Ortofon Bronze and the Linn Adikt sound nice, to me. I would like to hear some other cartridges. It's a bit challenging to compare other cartridges when they are in different systems than mine... and they can be expensive! Right now, I'm listening to Peter Green - Man of the World - the Anthology 1968-1983, on the Earmark label. I know there are some nicer TTs than mine out there, but I'm quite pleased and proud of my LP12. I also have another LP12 sitting beside me. I am thinking about trading mine, with a few bucks, for this one. This one has the later Circus and Lingo 1. It has an Alphason HR 100S tone arm. Kinda nifty looking. It is in nice condition. But my current LP12 is sounding so nice right now, that I am beginning to reconsider the trade. I am planning to see the Linn tech this week and see what the Alphason/LP12 needs. The Linn tech says it's an upgrade that should be noticeable. Whew! My mind wanders about some of the amazing TTs out there. I don't know very much about cartridges. I need to learn. My system is McIntosh with a C2300 pre, which has nice phono stages. Your Linn looks spectacular! So does all your gear!
Hello Longgone, thanks for the great reply and nice compliment. The Linn sound seems to be what it is all about! It is interesting that at some point my original Turn Table, A Project Perspex 6 with Sumiko Blackbird cart, which really rocked for me just seemed to loose its magic and my "toe tap" left. I purchased the Linn and after a little stumbling around with settings and cartridges I realized I was often rockin and jammin to the music coming from the TT on old tired Amp and Phono Pre tubes! Now, with fresh tubes I can't wait to get into my chair to listen. I can only imagine what upgrades are going to do. In a review I read somewhere that even the basic Linn is a Reference level player. Olskool
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
I've recently purchased the AMG V12, but I could not let my LP12 go. So, I put both to use!
I can attest Loop's rig is Killer! His Linn was the first one I ever heard and was floored by the sound of it. I could not believe it when he told me he traded it in for the AMG. In the interim I got one and now fully understand why he went back to keep his Linn and could not part with it! :-)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgone View Post
Both the Ortofon Bronze and the Linn Adikt sound nice, to me. I would like to hear some other cartridges. It's a bit challenging to compare other cartridges when they are in different systems than mine... and they can be expensive! !
My table came with a used ADIKT and I did not give it much time nor did I have my settings correct so it is no wonder I did not warm up to it. I did get to run an extended test on a Dynavector 20X2 Low Output cart and it pairs very very well in my rig. I love Smooth, BeBop and Classic Jazz as well as a little Classical and it nailed it! My lady actually came and sat to listen with me for a couple sessions with no prompting from me! Gotta respect a TT / cartridge combination that can do that! ;-)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 AM

Here I am !
Linn Sondek circa 1987 with Trampoline 2, lingo first generation, Green street «Keel» to accommodate a Rega RB-700 with Kerry Titanium counterweight, Lyra Kleos, Cardas Golden Reference Phono cable modified with WBT AG-rca, on a TT Target filled with silicone gel, the Lingo powered with Shunyata power cable, Woodsong smoked maple plinth.
Audio Research Reference Phono 2SE.
Did I say that I love my TT ?
Next step : Kahn Tiger paw !
Old 02-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Don't know how to post picture !