AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Pass Labs synergy

I was using a Pass X250.8 amp with my Sonus Faber Amati Futuras and several different tube preamps. I was looking for more detail, dynamics and bass slam. I replaced a Doshi Audio full function tube preamp with a Pass XP22 line stage preamp and XP17 phono stage. Before the Doshi, I had an Audio Research Ref 5 and Naim Superline phono stage. I found the Doshi to be better than the Audio Research/Naim combo, but the Pass gear has taken my system exactly in the direction I was hoping for. Great bass, actually surprising at times with real slam (something my speakers aren't known for). Beautiful midrange with plenty of detail, precise imaging, and maximal differentiation of voices and instruments. The treble is also better with more detail, spatial cues, and extension. And it is dead quiet, something I never experienced with tube gear.

Overall the Pass gear seems to match synergistically. This is the first configuration I've had in 25 years without tubes somewhere in the chain. The only thing I'm missing versus tubes is the "bloom" around notes...that unique ability of tubes to hang notes in the air with a more natural development and decay.

As I look back on my (many) system configurations, it seems that when I go with one manufacturer the synergy seems to be special. This includes systems made up of preamps and amps from Lamm, Audio Research, Doshi, Rogue, and McIntosh. I have the same approach to cabling, with Transparent Reference in the system from phono to power cords. While its fun to mix and match to tune the sound, my experience has been the most enjoyable systems are based on electronics from one manufacturer.

Of course everything works together as a system. The Pass electronics and Transparent Reference seem to be a great match with Sonus Faber, certainly the best I've tried.

And as an added bonus, Mark Semet at Reno HiFi and Kent at Pass Labs are both are great guys to work with.

Anyone else here using a total Pass Labs electronics system?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pass Labs gear.jpg (87.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg system 3.jpg (91.5 KB, 87 views)
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
..that unique ability of tubes to hang notes in the air with a more natural development and decay...
I tagged along with a buddy who was a self-declared wine enthusiast to 'tastings'. We'd swirl, sniff, slosh with the rest of the attendees, then listen to the vineyard's rep spew all sorts of glorious high-falutin descriptive phrases about what our experience should be, while all I could conclude is that I liked beer better.

I have a Pass INT-250, so I suppose I have a 'total Pass Labs electronics system' (my sole source is an Esoteric CD player and I have B&W 803 D2's, the last of their drop dead gorgeous cabinetry (IMO).

I can't speak to your question because you and I operate at different levels, but I WILL confirm that, should any audio enthusiast desire to have a manufacturer who is responsive and knowledgeable and appreciative of their customers, there cannot be ANYONE who excels beyond the bar that Kent at Pass sets each and every day.

Last edited by aardvarkbark; 04-14-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:29 PM

If you watt to find this «*bloom «* around the note, than you need to go a Pass serie XA, with pure class A. I tried in his Time a xp10 and 20 on my previous xa100.5, but finally I had chosen a ref5se. Now with my xa160.5 I use a passive preamp...
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 PM

Default Pass Labs Fan

I too am a big Pass Labs Fan not only for there great gear but what a fantastic company to do business with! Kent English has never let me down always eager to answer questions or help if needed he really should teach a class on customer service!
My current Pass Gear.
XP-22
XP-17
XA-30.8
INT-60
HPA-1
Love it all!!!!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 AM

Audiojem, what speakers are you using? I'm guessing rather efficient ones given your amp.

Jpspock, I wish I had the budget for the XA160's. Maybe in the future...what speakers are you using?
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 04-16-2019, 02:49 PM

I think you can find à pair at good price. Mine are playing with wa Sasha..