AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-15-2019, 01:22 AM

Default Prioritize Speakers or Amps

I am finally able to start seriously making what had been a dream system for me a reality.

In my dreams, my system has always been Mcintosh components and B&W 800 series speakers - so, for now I’d like to avoid discussions about other brands/options.

I plan on evolving my 2-channel system in stages and am curious how to prioritize stage 1.

Essentially, I am wondering whether to prioritize investment in the target-state speakers first or the amps.

For example, option:

1) c1100, 2xmc611, b&w 800 d3 (the mc611’s would potentially be repurposed to an eventual HT setup)

2) c1100, 2xmc1.2kw, b&w 803 d3 (the 803’s would potentially be repurposed to an eventual HT setup)

3) c1100, 2xmc611, b&w 803 d3 (this could be an option if the difference in SQ compared to the two options above is not very significant, as the mc611’s and 803’s could eventually both be repurposed to the HT...but i would fully expect potentially both option 1 and 2 above would sound noticeably better)?

Any thoughts on how to get the best bang for the buck now, in the interim, as i enjoy a 2-channel setup, while still setting me up for the future?

Thanks all!!
Old 03-15-2019, 04:35 AM

My thoughts are go for the best speakers first. You may just find the 611's are enough for your needs and if not you can upgrade to a pair of 1.25kw's later on.
I'm also thinking it would be easier to sell a pair of 611's rather than the B&W's should they not work out in the HT.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 AM

I agree with the first response - speakers are the most important part in the audio chain. Afterall, it is the speakers that actually produce the sound...
A good amplifier's job is to provide clean undistorted power to your speakers without changing the original waveform (unless you are into tube amps which do distort the sound quite a lot but that's a whole different story, and by the way, there is nothing wrong with tube amps)...
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM

Speakers should be priority #1. Just make sure there is an adequate amount of money left for priority #2, #3, etc.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, guys - confirms what I was initially thinking.

Are the 611’s sufficient to power 800 d3’s? Is the 462? Where would you say the ‘cutoff’ is in the Mcintosh line?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 AM

I also suggest you go for the speakers first. Once you have the speakers you can then purchase the amp(s) that will get the sound you are looking for. Both the 462 and 611's are nice amps. I would lean towards the mono-blocks but I don't think there will be a huge difference.

Both of the brands you are talking about retain their value better than most and are in demand on the resale market. You can't lose.

Last edited by Still-One; 03-15-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM

yep, speakers first, chosen with room dimensions in mind.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Definitely speakers first. When I sold my MC-601s last year it took only a few days. McIntosh holds its value amazingly well so I think upgrading amps later will be easier.

George
Old 03-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Usually best speakers.. Then other stuff.
However! Be aware the less current 'other stuff' may cause some concern. The sound may leave you wondering: Why are these fnatastic speakers sounding poorly??? Source, preamp, amp may not be in the same league as the new wondrous speakers. leaving the speakers sounding not so wondrous. particularly if a long time span between purchases.

Where if you buy the amp and other source etc first. You current speakers will continue to sound better and better as you progress. And when you get the final speakers, wow.
So amp, sources, all adjunct equipment first is good to better to even better yet, with glorious at end.
The speaker first way is hearing all sorts of not so great stuff until you finish.
And finally, most amps are not all that different, compared to speakers, sources.. etc.

On the other hand... I had good stuff I upgraded prior to my big jump last year. Like interconnect cables..
Then speakers, big jump. Then added source, and a lot of little stuff to bring it all up to best can sound.
I did not buy new amps, My dealer said forget the amp upgrade, buy THIS... (Source). he was totally right.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Interestingly, i was just talking to ‘my’ guy at Magnolia (who I had thought wss fairly credible and knowledgable), and after going over my options above he said ‘no brainer to prioritize the amps over the speakers and go with the 1.25kw and 803s! Lol