AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 AM
RLF's Avatar
RLF RLF is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 383
Default Questions for Caelin and Grant concerning modest system

Hi Caelin and Grant. I have a few questions regarding a small HT setup using a Shunyata conditioner and power cord at a vacation condo. In your opinion, which of your gear would work best with a small AV system as described below as far as your product integration:

The setup consists of a Sony 65Ē AF9 OLED TV, Martin Logan Vision X sound bar, ML Dynamo subwoofer, OPPO 203 BD player, and cable box. My primary goal is to have a picture from the Sony which yields the deepest blacks, best light to dark gradations in shading, and deepest most natural vibrant colors. Of course there is only so much that one can do with a sound bar, but a dynamic sound with natural tonal quality is important and to help keep the emphasis away from bright gritty thin textures would also be paramount. I know thatís a tall order for modest gear like Iíve listed above.

As far as a little background, in my main AV system in my main home, I am using a Triton 3 power conditioner with a Sigma NR power cord from the wall outlet to the Triton feeding my Sony Z9D 75Ē LCD TV, Anthem amps and Anthem prepro, OPPO BD player and Apple 4K TV. Both my wife and I are,amazed how much deeper the colors are as well as shadowing from dark to bright, contrast, and saturation with the Triton 3 in the system. Hard to believe that your Shunyata stuff can do so much , but it is our perception that it works magic.

As for the vacation home, right now my dealer has offered me a used Denali 6000 S V1 which I was going to use with a demo Alpha NR power cord. However, I just gleaned information about your new upcoming Denali v2 which Iíve read has good deal better component to component isolation than the v1. Due to the fact that much of the gear in the vacation home has switching power supplies and switching amps, it is my guess that the best component to component isolation would be better for a deeper blacks and saturated picture. Therefore the V2 would seem to technically lower the noise floor a good deal better than the v1 and yield the picture that we would like. BTW, right now our main home high-end LCD appears to have a bit better blacks than the OLED in the vacation home since there is no Shunyata residing in that system. OTOH, the Triton which we use in our main home system really makes possible a stunning picture for a LCD TV. My guess, is by adding an appropriate Shunyata power conditioner and power cord that the vacation Sony A9F OLED would really blossom.

So Caelin and Grant, what do you think would work best in the little vacation home theater system considering a cost affective way of bettering picture and sound without going overboard? Denali v1 vs v2 and Alpha NR or Sigma power cords?


Also as to the cable feeding the Denali v1 or v2 from the wall outlet duplex, do you think that the Alpha PC would be best or would the Sigma PC be overkill? My dealer suggested that that the Sigma might give better isolation from the incoming AC than then Alpha. What are you thoughts on this?

Anyway, I have to make some quick decisions soon with my dealer so if I could get both of your inputs regarding what would work best and at the same time not be overkill would be most appreciated. Iíll look forward your professional opinions. Bob
__________________
Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-R TWENTY preamp, Ayre MX-R TWENTY mono blocks, PS Audio DirectStream DAC & PS Audio DMP SACD Transport, Sonus Faber Amati Futuras, Shunyata Research Sigma interconnects and speaker cables, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo power cords, Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 SE & Shunyata Research Triton 3 power conditioners, 2 Dedicated 20amp AC lines with Oyaide Duplexes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:53 PM
GrantS GrantS is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Hi Caelin and Grant. I have a few questions regarding a small HT setup using a Shunyata conditioner and power cord at a vacation condo. In your opinion, which of your gear would work best with a small AV system as described below as far as your product integration:

The setup consists of a Sony 65Ē AF9 OLED TV, Martin Logan Vision X sound bar, ML Dynamo subwoofer, OPPO 203 BD player, and cable box. My primary goal is to have a picture from the Sony which yields the deepest blacks, best light to dark gradations in shading, and deepest most natural vibrant colors. Of course there is only so much that one can do with a sound bar, but a dynamic sound with natural tonal quality is important and to help keep the emphasis away from bright gritty thin textures would also be paramount. I know thatís a tall order for modest gear like Iíve listed above.

As far as a little background, in my main AV system in my main home, I am using a Triton 3 power conditioner with a Sigma NR power cord from the wall outlet to the Triton feeding my Sony Z9D 75Ē LCD TV, Anthem amps and Anthem prepro, OPPO BD player and Apple 4K TV. Both my wife and I are,amazed how much deeper the colors are as well as shadowing from dark to bright, contrast, and saturation with the Triton 3 in the system. Hard to believe that your Shunyata stuff can do so much , but it is our perception that it works magic.

As for the vacation home, right now my dealer has offered me a used Denali 6000 S V1 which I was going to use with a demo Alpha NR power cord. However, I just gleaned information about your new upcoming Denali v2 which Iíve read has good deal better component to component isolation than the v1. Due to the fact that much of the gear in the vacation home has switching power supplies and switching amps, it is my guess that the best component to component isolation would be better for a deeper blacks and saturated picture. Therefore the V2 would seem to technically lower the noise floor a good deal better than the v1 and yield the picture that we would like. BTW, right now our main home high-end LCD appears to have a bit better blacks than the OLED in the vacation home since there is no Shunyata residing in that system. OTOH, the Triton which we use in our main home system really makes possible a stunning picture for a LCD TV. My guess, is by adding an appropriate Shunyata power conditioner and power cord that the vacation Sony A9F OLED would really blossom.

So Caelin and Grant, what do you think would work best in the little vacation home theater system considering a cost affective way of bettering picture and sound without going overboard? Denali v1 vs v2 and Alpha NR or Sigma power cords?


Also as to the cable feeding the Denali v1 or v2 from the wall outlet duplex, do you think that the Alpha PC would be best or would the Sigma PC be overkill? My dealer suggested that that the Sigma might give better isolation from the incoming AC than then Alpha. What are you thoughts on this?

Anyway, I have to make some quick decisions soon with my dealer so if I could get both of your inputs regarding what would work best and at the same time not be overkill would be most appreciated. Iíll look forward your professional opinions. Bob
After more than 20 years working together, Caelin and I find ourselves of like mind on the majority of application questions but if he differs he can chime in. For your system, the best value may be the Denali 6000/S if it is attractively priced, along with an Alpha HC or an Alpha EF power cord.

The reason for my recommendation is the nature of your system, which is not an HT system where you might be inclined to say "budget be damned" when it comes to power distribution.

Yes, the new D 6000/S v2 is notably better in terms of independent outlet isolation, high-current transfer, measured noise reduction and performance but if you are looking to stay within a budget mirroring your system, buying a dealer demo D/6000S with an Alpha HC at a substantive savings will get you performance you would be very pleased with.

In a SOTA or aspirational, performance based sound or video system such as your main system - or anything approaching that, I'd be inclined to recommend a Denali 6000/S v2 without qualification - you went top shelf with the Tv3 so its a moot point. The 6000/S v2 is leaning toward Triton level performance but obviously these gains become more apparent as system's scale up.

To hit the performance marks you described with the system you listed, I think the Denali 6000/S and a Alpha C-19 will do an amazing job. You can spend more and get better performance with the D6Sv2, but I look at your system and think "best value" as well as best overall performance. Projecting percentages of "better" versus percentages of "cost" is a less exact science in systems constructed with an eye to keeping within a reasonable budget.

I recommend e-mailing me specifics relative to cost differences and we can dial this variable in so you have the best fit between cost and performance.

Best regards,

Grant
grant@shunyata.com
Shunyata Research
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is online now
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 69,163
Default

Grant... I placed your email on your profile, for future reference by members.

It’s under “about me” once someone clicks on your name.
__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A250 AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP950 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC950 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) PS AUDIO P20, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1ís, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000T/PS8, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, BIT-15(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E650 INTEGRATED, DP560 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3ís, CANTON REF K5ís, SILENZIO, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WIREWORLD GOLD CABLES
Bryston Active System: BP26 PRE-AMP, MPS2 POWER SUPPLY, BAX-1 CROSSOVER, BDA-3 DAC, BDP-3 PLAYER, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15(2), MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS, 21B3 CUBED AMPS, SILENZIO, TARGET RACK, WIREWORLD SILVER CABLES

Last edited by Masterlu; 06-10-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:18 PM
kennyb123 kennyb123 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

I made the mistake of pulling my Denali 6000/S out of my two channel system to see how it benefitted my A/V system, which includes a 65" LG OLED TV. At first I didn't think I noticed much of an improvement in picture quality. I was later convinced of it when I was blown away while watching "Mission Impossible: Fallout" from 4K disc via my Xbox One S. The picture clarity was STUNNING.

I had to return the Denali 6000/S to my two channel system but a subsequent viewing of "Fallout" had me missing it badly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM
RLF's Avatar
RLF RLF is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
After more than 20 years working together, Caelin and I find ourselves of like mind on the majority of application questions but if he differs he can chime in. For your system, the best value may be the Denali 6000/S if it is attractively priced, along with an Alpha HC or an Alpha EF power cord.

The reason for my recommendation is the nature of your system, which is not an HT system where you might be inclined to say "budget be damned" when it comes to power distribution.

Yes, the new D 6000/S v2 is notably better in terms of independent outlet isolation, high-current transfer, measured noise reduction and performance but if you are looking to stay within a budget mirroring your system, buying a dealer demo D/6000S with an Alpha HC at a substantive savings will get you performance you would be very pleased with.

In a SOTA or aspirational, performance based sound or video system such as your main system - or anything approaching that, I'd be inclined to recommend a Denali 6000/S v2 without qualification - you went top shelf with the Tv3 so its a moot point. The 6000/S v2 is leaning toward Triton level performance but obviously these gains become more apparent as system's scale up.

To hit the performance marks you described with the system you listed, I think the Denali 6000/S and a Alpha C-19 will do an amazing job. You can spend more and get better performance with the D6Sv2, but I look at your system and think "best value" as well as best overall performance. Projecting percentages of "better" versus percentages of "cost" is a less exact science in systems constructed with an eye to keeping within a reasonable budget.

I recommend e-mailing me specifics relative to cost differences and we can dial this variable in so you have the best fit between cost and performance.

Best regards,

Grant
grant@shunyata.com
Shunyata Research
Thanks and appreciated Grant. I just sent you a PM
__________________
Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-R TWENTY preamp, Ayre MX-R TWENTY mono blocks, PS Audio DirectStream DAC & PS Audio DMP SACD Transport, Sonus Faber Amati Futuras, Shunyata Research Sigma interconnects and speaker cables, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo power cords, Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 SE & Shunyata Research Triton 3 power conditioners, 2 Dedicated 20amp AC lines with Oyaide Duplexes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:25 PM
RLF's Avatar
RLF RLF is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
I made the mistake of pulling my Denali 6000/S out of my two channel system to see how it benefitted my A/V system, which includes a 65" LG OLED TV. At first I didn't think I noticed much of an improvement in picture quality. I was later convinced of it when I was blown away while watching "Mission Impossible: Fallout" from 4K disc via my Xbox One S. The picture clarity was STUNNING.

I had to return the Denali 6000/S to my two channel system but a subsequent viewing of "Fallout" had me missing it badly.
Something similar happened to me some years back when I pulled a power conditioner out of my stereo and temporary put it into the home theater system. Be darned if it didnít work wonders there too. When I yanked it back to the stereo, my dear non-audio/videophile wife made me put it back into the home theater as she was upset that the picture was washed out without it. Go figure. Now she doesnít complain when I want to ďupgrade my plugsĒ as she puts it.
__________________
Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-R TWENTY preamp, Ayre MX-R TWENTY mono blocks, PS Audio DirectStream DAC & PS Audio DMP SACD Transport, Sonus Faber Amati Futuras, Shunyata Research Sigma interconnects and speaker cables, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo power cords, Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 SE & Shunyata Research Triton 3 power conditioners, 2 Dedicated 20amp AC lines with Oyaide Duplexes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 PM
Puma Cat's Avatar
Puma Cat Puma Cat is online now
conrad-johnson, baby!

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 7,908
Default

I've been using Shunyata power distributors and cords for my home theatre setup for years now. You can see the improvement they bring with your own eyes. Its pretty remarkable. All the benefits RLF pointe out are visibily there. The soundtracks sound better too, of course.

BTW, I can highly recommend the Shunyata Venom HDMI cable, too.
__________________
conrad-johnson CT-5 and LP70S, Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion w/ EAR324, Oppo BD-83SE, Sonore OpticalModule with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 power supply, SOtM UltraNeo with Keces P3 power supply, Shunyata Alpha USB cable, Schiit Gungnir Multibit Gen 5 USB DAC, Schiit Loki DSD DAC, Mac Mini/Roon, Dynaudio Contour S3.4 with Esotar 2 tweeters, REL R-305, Audioquest Colombia and Colorado ICs, Shunyata Venom speaker cables, Shunyata Zitron Cobra and Black Mamba CX and Venom 3 power cords, Shunyata Triton, Synergistics Research HFT acoustical tuning devices
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 PM
RLF's Avatar
RLF RLF is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've been using Shunyata power distributors and cords for my home theatre setup for years now. You can see the improvement they bring with your own eyes. Its pretty remarkable. All the benefits RLF pointe out are visibily there. The soundtracks sound better too, of course.

BTW, I can highly recommend the Shunyata Venom HDMI cable, too.
Thank you for your input. Itís most appreciated.

Itís good that you hear and see the improvements with the Shunyata stuff in the same way that I do.
__________________
Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 DAC, Ayre KX-R TWENTY preamp, Ayre MX-R TWENTY mono blocks, PS Audio DirectStream DAC & PS Audio DMP SACD Transport, Sonus Faber Amati Futuras, Shunyata Research Sigma interconnects and speaker cables, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo power cords, Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 SE & Shunyata Research Triton 3 power conditioners, 2 Dedicated 20amp AC lines with Oyaide Duplexes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase