AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Default Graham IC-70 phono cable for Phantom Supreme

I will be pleased to hear if some Graham users who had chances to compare Graham's own IC-70 phono cable which Graham recommends to some other phono cables, specifically Transparent Cable. I always tried several cables for different parts of my system but not with phono. I have got my Graham with IC-70 and always assumed it is a logical match. I use Transparent Reference XL (mm2 version) interconnectors and speaker cables for the rest of the chain. Now I decided to get a second tonearm which will be again Graham Phantom Supreme, it came into my mind whether I should buy it with IC-70 or consider Transparent XL phono.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Hi, I don't own a Graham arm. But I did own a Graham IC50 cable. I am also a Transparent Speaker and Interconnect user (Ref MM MM2 Speaker and Pre to Amp Interconnect and Ref XL MM2 Tonearm to SUT, then SUT to Phono stage then phono to pre). I will say the Transparent Ref XL MM2 phono cable I own is a significant step above the Graham IC50. In fact I preferred the Purist Venastas and the Purist Proteus Provectus Praesto also over the Graham. The Purist cables are a lower cost of entry than the Trans Ref XL.

I also use all Shunyata Anaconda zitrons everywhere and a Triton/Typhon.

Given your system and your other cables...you really should try the Transparent off your Graham arm. This is arguably the most important cable in your system...
Old 11-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
Hi, I don't own a Graham arm. But I did own a Graham IC50 cable. I am also a Transparent Speaker and Interconnect user (Ref MM MM2 Speaker and Pre to Amp Interconnect and Ref XL MM2 Tonearm to SUT, then SUT to Phono stage then phono to pre). I will say the Transparent Ref XL MM2 phono cable I own is a significant step above the Graham IC50. In fact I preferred the Purist Venastas and the Purist Proteus Provectus Praesto also over the Graham. The Purist cables are a lower cost of entry than the Trans Ref XL.

I also use all Shunyata Anaconda zitrons everywhere and a Triton/Typhon.

Given your system and your other cables...you really should try the Transparent off your Graham arm. This is arguably the most important cable in your system...
Thanks for the feedback Jfrech. I communicated to Transparent to get more information about their phono cables and look for their response. For XL and higher, they fine tune the cables due to components you own, I understand they keep the same logic for phono cable, can you tell me if they specifically produce a phono cable due to specific cartridge output or deliver a cable to use with a range of MC cartridge due to similar output, say between 0.2 to 0.4 mv ? I am trying to understand how optimal to use their higher level phono cables with different cartridges assuming if one has more than one cartridge to use with same tonearm and cable?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Hi I don't think their phono cables are tuned to the output..more the impedance of cartridge it's connected to at one end and the phono stage or SUT at the other...but you'd have to really ask Transparent for the accurate answer here.

And I do believe they have a range on this impedance. Like I had 2 lyras, one had a internal impedance of 5.4, the other 4.2 the cable didn't need to be retuned. But when I bought a Allaerts with a 32 ohm impedance it needed to go back.

Now it still sounded good, I was very happy with the cable set for the lyra using the Allaerts. However when it was tuned for the Allaerts, every thing had better focus and the bass tightened up

Last edited by jfrech; 11-24-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: clarified answer
Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM

One more thought...PeterA recently went to Transparent Reference XL (whole loom including the din to rca off his SME 30/12 table and V-12 arm)...he might be a good source of info also...
Old 11-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Great info thank you!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM

I got response from Transparent. It seems they have different parameters rather than only one but assuming cartridge outputs are similar (like low to medium output MC), the impedance setting break even is 25 ohms to send cable back to them to re tune. So for most of MC cartridges below 25 ohm impedance, I was told no need to change the cable.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 AM

Update: I ordered Transparent Ref MM phono (din to rca) tuned to Transfiguration Orpheus. Cable arrived yesterday and I swapped it with Graham's IC-70. The difference (or read as improvement) is hard to believe even right out of the box. I did not even notice such a major improvement when I upgraded phono stage (from ARC Ph7 to Ref 2 SE) or preamp (from ARC Ref 3 to Ref 10). Pitch black background, tons of detail, excellent highs and definition, removal of harshness in mids and highs (as well as no ringing). As if I listen to a different system.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 PM

Hi. Congrats. I suspected this might be the outcome for you!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
Hi. Congrats. I suspected this might be the outcome for you!
Thank you! Now, I am considering upgrading my XL level connectors and speaker cables to MM